How much to put behind the bar?

Options

Comments

• arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We put money behind the bar (£10 per person) but also had fizz at reception/ for toasts (from venue) and paid corkage for wine of our choice (about the same as venue cost overall). However, a lot of the money behind the bar wasn't spent so we got some back afterwards which was nice..

Given you are talking about taking out loans to cover costs, it is BONKERS to put £1500 behind the bar. That's a new bathroom!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    We didn't put anything behind the car - provided a welcome drink and toasting drink and that was it. Made sure everyone was aware pre-wedding that it was a pay bar. No complaints! Seems like a total waste of money to me.

Drinks behind a car are never a good idea!:rotfl:

OP do people really expect free drinks at a wedding?
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    £0 behind the bar, but glass of fizzy (with juice option) on arrival, glasses of fizzy brought out by caterers for toasting the speeches, couple of bottles of generic wine (maybe allow 2 bottles per 6 people) and water on tables. That's it.

If you put cash behind the bar, you can expect a few people to hit flash cocktails, and some others who will get a drink, put it down somewhere, and just get another. 'Tragedy of the commons', if you want a classical model for it. Auntie Bethan who babysat you as a child and who likes a small sherry every couple of hours will miss out on the frenzy. It's actively unfair on your guests. Just do the welcome, speeches and ideally wine on tables and that's it.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nobody expects a free bar - and providing one will cause problems as the greedy will arrive early and fill their boots (before starting a fight). Those that come later, and/or go easy will "miss out" and probably have to fend off the drunk bloke who filled his boots.

Find other ways to provide your guests with drinks. They'll thank you for it.
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    Thank you guys. Because of this forum we have decided to have a tab for soft drinks only. We will provide wine on the tables and maybe some fizz on arrival.

We are just debating on whether to supply a drinks token.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you guys. Because of this forum we have decided to have a tab for soft drinks only. We will provide wine on the tables and maybe some fizz on arrival.

We are just debating on whether to supply a drinks token.

Only you know your guests but you're overcomplicating things

If you think the soft drinks are overpriced and can trust the venue then by all means try and strike a deal with them to offer all soft drinks at £1 for example (but where do you draw the line at a J20 vs a draught coke)

If either your guests or the bar are less trustworthy you'll find someone who slips the barman a tenner to ensure that his/her triples are chalked up as soft drinks
  • lilly81
    lilly81 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could always give each guest 2 tokens for the bar?
    Debt free date 23rd march 2009 🥳Autism is my super power 🏳️🌈 🌈✨
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    So, we put £500 behind the bar for soft drinks only. Turned out most people on the day were buying alcohol behind the bar and from what I could tell we never made a dent in the soft drinks tab. I asked to be refunded the reamineder of the tab and our damage installment. This was all agreed and I sent them my bank details. However, it's been a week and I have heard nothing back despite chasing.

Part of me feels that they never kept tabs on the tab and are stalling. Let's say for example that they come back to me with a figure which seems unrealistic (charging me too much) or say they don't know what to refund, what will be the proper way forward? In the latter situation for example, should they refund me the entire tab?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I don't think you've given them enough time.

You only asked for a refund of unspent money a week ago and have already been chasing them.

They have agreed to refund the money.
    Why not give them a bit more time and see what figure they come up with instead of trying to second-guess what they will say or do.

Did you really keep an eye on what soft drinks were being ordered from the bar on your wedding day? :eek:

Have you considered that people may have been ordering G&T (or any other short and mixer) and were only charged for the alcohol with the 'soft drink coming off your bar tab?
    Did you discuss this possible scenario with the bar before the wedding?
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    A week I've been waiting. Surely the longer it takes the less accurate it would be? Typically venues will take a stock stake before the event and one after and the difference is your bill. Or, just enter it on the tab on the till. A week is more than enough time, keep in mind this is the damage deposit too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure