Mortgage for Buy to Let investment while renting

Hi guys, I currently rent my flat. I do this because its a cheaper way to live in the type of flat I want, I could not afford a mortgage on it.

I was wondering if anyone else in my situation has got a smaller mortgage and bought a cheap flat with the view of renting it out? Thought it might be a good investment idea, and getting on the property ladder. Any views?

Comments

• Lilla_D
    Lilla_D Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If I understand correctly, you're a first time buyer looking to become a first time landlord. The number of potential mortgage lenders can be counted on one hand, but dependent on further details of your situation (e.g. age, income, outgoings, type of flat you'd buy, where the flat is, potential rental income etc etc etc) this number may reduce further. So yes, in theory it's possible, but in practice it will come down to the details of the case.

However, before you go looking for a property, you may also want to talk to an accountant or tax advisor about the income and tax implications of becoming a landlord.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • bigmaz
    bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lilla_D wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, you're a first time buyer looking to become a first time landlord. The number of potential mortgage lenders can be counted on one hand, but dependent on further details of your situation (e.g. age, income, outgoings, type of flat you'd buy, where the flat is, potential rental income etc etc etc) this number may reduce further. So yes, in theory it's possible, but in practice it will come down to the details of the case.

However, before you go looking for a property, you may also want to talk to an accountant or tax advisor about the income and tax implications of becoming a landlord.

Yeah, maybe not a great idea.... Just looking at investment ideas, property is always the first on the list....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure