Waiting for credit report to update

Options
Hi everyone
I have recently cleared some outstanding balances on the 27th March and i am looking to buy my 1st home as soon as possible
I have not contacted a broker yet as i am waiting for my credit report to reflect my latest payments.
My question is how long does it take from making payments to the settled / paid status showing? Am i being to eager to think 3 weeks is long time or does this take a month or so ?

I just want broker to have the most up to date information.

Also i am planning on buying a new build and wondered what the average timescale is from putting in an offer to offer accepted and all systems go?

As you can tell i dont have any experience of house buying so apologies if these questions have been asked already

Thanks

Comments

• sultanabran
    sultanabran Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    The date of the last update of the accounts on your credit file(s) will give you a clue on roughly when in the month the lenders update the credit agencies.

E.g. if the last updated date for the Dodgy Loans plc account on your credit file was the 28th March. You can expect the update for this month to be around that date. Some lenders can be slow though and can sometimes be a couple of months behind.
  • Louk83
    Louk83 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you ill have to check, i am hoping it is this month so i can get the ball rolling
    Havent viewed properties as ideally want an agreement in principle first
  • Lilla_D
    Lilla_D Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless you have had late/missed payments, which would mean that a credit check by a lender during the agreement in principle process would give an answer about your ability to borrow, a broker can check your potential borrowing pretty accurately even while you're waiting for the credit files to update.

In response to your question about timelines, once you make an offer, it's likely that you'll have something agreed within a few days (or not much longer dependent on how the negotiations go).

Once your offer is accepted, then you'll have to supply the broker various documents and it normally takes a few weeks to get a mortgage offer.

Parallel to this, the seller will have to supply numerous documents and endless amount of information about the property to their solicitor, who then passes all of it to your solicitors and so the legal process goes on typically for a few months.

Hope it helps :)
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure