Preparing for adult life ..

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why not get the dishwasher on a 0% credit card? You seem to be doing well in reducing the overdraft. A good mantra is never pay interest on finance.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi there :hello:

Well done on all your progress. You're doing really well. :)

It looks like you have most things covered but I just wondered if you had budgeted for road tax and mot? Those can derail the best laid plans. :)

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on.

AFxx
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • bma14
    bma14 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Ah I had not. I just bought my new car in January so I think it gets 6 months taxed? I will need to check the paperwork for how much it will be when the time rolls around :) Thank you! x
    Total Debt January 2017: £2,000 Total Debt October 2019: £300 (85% repaid)
    Savings Goals: House Deposit: £15,000/£15,000; Christmas 2019 Savings: £450/£600

Soon to be on my journey of renovating a house on a budget :)
  • bma14
    Options
    And so the emotional cycle returns of being up and then down again. I always end up having a few days a month where I worry about money and feel like it's going to be a never ending cycle. Always a combination of worrying about money and whether I will have a job come September ...

We had to buy the new dishwasher as ours was completely done. I got it for around £270 on finance which should take us around 2 years to pay off and adds £15 to our monthly outgoings.

We have had our pay day for this month and I have done the usual piggy banking into various different accounts. My projections for this month after doing this look ok - I should have the OD down to somewhere near the £1100 mark at the end of the month.

I had to pay off the rest of my cousin's hen which was £154. Luckily I had saved a bit for this since February but didn't expect it to be due so soon beforehand! So that means another £60 or so needed to come out of my personal budget for the month which isn't too bad all things considered. I have turned down a lot of fun plans this month because I know I can't afford to go over my budgets with the hen/wedding approaching in the summer. It's this part which I think makes me feel bad. I work pretty long and tough hours and feel like all I do outside of work is worry about money! I know it's not a great deal of debt compared to some people but it feels a lot to me... I guess I just need to keep focused on all of the spare money I will have once I do eventually pay it off but I guess it feels like I am really missing out on opportunities at the moment. As is life I suppose!

We have been doing pretty well in the joint budget but could be doing better. We had a NSD yesterday which is the first for a while so I'm quite pleased with that. Today should be another one. I'm becoming more confident with knowing what sorts of meals to cook at night so that there is (relatively healthy) leftovers to take to work the next day. I'll need to make a list of the best ones for meal planning.

I think the exact figure for my overdraft at the end of the month is going to be £1123 ... so I think I will try this month to see if there is anything I can do to bring in the £123 to take it down to the £1k mark. I think that would make me feel a lot better. I have an old ipad which I never use that I could sell, and may have a go with ebay but not sure how successful it is? Every time I've used it before it's been a bit of a fail. I'm also expecting some cashback soon from insurance stuff I bought when I bought the flat and Scotrail have just let us know that for next month's season pass they will be refunding us all a week to say thanks for putting up with the delays to the trains! So that should be around £40 back too. And they're also giving everyone a free anytime day-return for the trains to anywhere in Scotland. Maybe i'll need to use that as an excuse to get a long weekend with the OH some time!

I feel a bit better having typed it all out again - as usual! Just need to motivate myself a bit more :)
    Savings Goals: House Deposit: £15,000/£15,000; Christmas 2019 Savings: £450/£600

• On_a_Shoestring
    Options
    Hi! Just popping in to say well done, you're doing so well! I'm in a similar spot to you except I'm at the beginning of my training (due to qualify March 2019). I bet you're pleased to be almost done!

Your debt really isn't too bad at all, especially on your monthly income. I'm on a similar monthly income and my debt is my £2k overdraft + around £14k owed for LPC fees :eek:
  • bma14
    Options
    Thank you! Yeah we are lucky in Scotland that half of our Diploma fees (equivalent of LPC) can be rolled into your student loans but we have to pay the other half (which I did through my salary during diploma). I (perhaps naively) am not counting the student loans just now as the contributions just come out my salary before I get paid!

Yes very glad to almost be done - although nervous about securing a qualified post! Can't even begin to imagine the monetary stress involved with not having a job come September :eek:

Guess we need to take it just one step at a time!

• On_a_Shoestring
    Options
    I would love to move to Scotland but I would only be qualified in England & Wales so it would be a bit pointless!
  • bma14
    Options
    Yeah and a bit of a long conversion process!

• bma14
    Options
    So I've decided I'm going to set myself a challenge to see if I can club together an extra £124 in savings this month to get my overdraft under the £1000 mark come payday :) I think that would make me feel so much more at ease and also give me something to work for and keep my eyes on the prize so to speak in terms of my spending!

I've signed up to the PAD board this month to squirel away the pennies and will see how much that helps! I also got in the post yesterday a cheque for £10 from my conveyancers that I had overpaid and forgot about :) I'm going to see about doing more surveys etc to pull in some pennies and see how I get on and maybe have a think about stuff I can put on ebay.

Any other tips for pulling in some extra pennies more than welcome!

As this is a 5 week month I have stretched our budgets out a bit so that we don't end up spending more money. This is going to be a bit of an adjustment for us (especially since I've already had to lower my personal budget to pay off the hen) so we will see how it goes ! Just need to be more disciplined with the little spends :)

• bma14
    Options
    I (once again on a Monday) feel a little wobbly in terms of money. I am not drastically doing anything but I feel like even the most minor of set-backs feels like a real kick in the teeth. My jumpers/cardigans for work were all ruined and I needed to get some new ones. £40 in Zara later and I feel like I have failed somehow! I still had £12 left of my big bingo win so I put that towards it and the other £28 I will pay off with my personal budget before pay day.

I think it's almost like I have it in my head that every single penny should be completely justifiable. Almost like I was mad at myself for not just going to Primark, but then I know these will last me much longer. I guess I just need to take it as a positive that I am thinking about things like this whereas before I would have just spent that £40 (or more) and not even thought 2 ways about it.

I also had to buy shoes for my counsin's wedding where I am the Maid of Honour. My dress fitting is in three weeks and I needed to decide on shoes so that I could take them to my fitting. This I felt better about, as I have been saving for expenses such as this. I had £100 squirreled away for it and (with a discount code) managed to get a lovely pair for £20.99.

With the 5 week month I am also finding it hard to reduce my spending further for groceries etc. I know it's not a huge deal, but our weekly jumps from something like £87.50 to £70 which although not a huge dive I am noticing the difference on. I will need to do some research into what meals are best in terms of cost but also healthy! Same again for my personal budget. This month my budget has jumped from £60pw to £37 taking into account both the 5 week month and having had to pay off the remainder of the Hen do ... definitely feeling the pinch on that one .... (maybe that's why I'm feeling so bad haha!). I went out last night for a drink with a few friends to celebrate them completing a massive challenge but again felt bad about the spend which was around £16.

Maybe I need to cut myself a bit of a break!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure