Equita hassle over Dart Charges

Options
Reposted in (hopefully!) the correct forum.
Hi there,

Just as a background (to help you understand my position)

In Feb 2015 my mother died. Due to this a couple of months later I had to move out due to family disputes. My post was sometimes given to me no problem at all and sometimes I never saw it (and found out my father was sending it back with "no longer at this address" on it).

However every time me and my father were getting on okay, we had no issues with the post.

I sold a vehicle in October 2015 very cheap to a trader just as I needed it gone. I got married and then rented a house with my then wife. I sent the yellow slip off to the DVLA and thought nothing more about it.

In Janurary 2016 the vehicle went accross Dartford Crossing twice.

I knew nothing about this until Equita sent a letter saying they were going to come and kick the door in for some amount I cannot remember.

I then rushed around and filled in a TEC7 and 9.

As far as I am aware I heard nothing back. I possibly did get a rejection letter. I also had a battle with the DVLA over another vehicle that had no insurance (trade policy and after running round to Sheffield court I finally got it sorted) and so can't quite remember which is which.

Anyway, this week I get a text from an Equita baliff saying he was coming round in half hour.

I phoned him and explained but he said I had done two TEC forms and both were rejected so the court are probably after £550 as well.

I explained I don't live there anymore and he reckons he's done a trace and found me (maybe he has maybe he hasn't).

Anyway as far as I'm aware he hasn't shown up anywere.

I've been phoning the TEC but they are having difficulties with their phone.

So I phoned the DVLA and they said write us a letter and we will send you a confirmation letter stating you sold the car in 2015 (I'm guessing if they accept my story that is!).

I then phoned Dart Charge. He said do another TEC/7 TEC/9 form. Is this right?

I phoned Equita and the lady put a note on account and said email us any evidence too and I said I'd copy in the DVLA and TEC letters.

I'm just asking for some advice on a few things..

1. Is the above the correct thing to do?
2. Will the courts be after £550, I have recieved nothing about this. My post situation is sorted now.
3. If I will be chased for £550, will a successful TEC drop the previous costs?
4. Can I do another TEC if it is refused?

Thank you for any help, I'm determined to get this put to bed this week. It's certainly helped me see that a £2.50 crossing can turn nasty.

I'm also being chased for £80 by the DVLA for this vehicle being untaxed and un SORN so this should sort that as well.

Thank you!
Josh

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Josho2

The first thing I would say is if the bailiffs trace you they do not have the right to force entry unless they been inside previously to list your goods. Keep your doors locked and if you currently have a car, hide it.

If you have already submitted the TE7 (Dart Charge) and TE9 (Dart Charge) and the applications were rejected you will now be out of time to dispute their decision (you only have 14 days from the date of their final decision). You can't keep submitting the forms where they have previously been rejected.

You could try appealing to the discretion of Dart Charge not to chase you for the debt if you can prove that you informed the DVLA you had sold the car. Unfortunately though it sounds like you are out of time to follow the official dispute route. That means if Dart Charge won’t use their discretion you can continue to be chased for the debt.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Point of information for anyone else reading this:

Since somewhere about 2004, just sending the slip from the log book to the DVLA when you sell a vehicle is not enough - they have to acknowledge receipt, and the onus is on YOU to chase them if they have not done so inside 28 days. This is rather buried in small print - I got caught on it some years ago, and know of others who have been caught the same way.

Apologies for the thread hijack OP, but felt it was worth underlining this point if it helped others. Good luck getting your situation sorted.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business