People Per Hour: My Story

Options

Comments

• louise12113
    Options
    Hi

If the link in your OP is an affiliate link you could edit it to the one as given by Kayalana99 .

So what is your story? What have you done to earn through the site and build a new career? What hobby have you gained?

My story is that when I had my little girl two years ago I was looking for ways in which to earn extra money and I stumbled across PPH. I started doing administration jobs and as I always had an interest in writing I pursued this. My profile has become one of top freelancers on PPH and my hourlies rate highly too.

I got my first writing gig as a trial which gained my first review. I then started my own blog in which to build a portfolio and it went from there.
  • louise12113
    Options
    thanks for all your comments :-)
  • Jennie_2
    Jennie_2 Posts: 2,122 Forumite
    Options
    I have done very well on People per Hour. I am a voice over artist and I have had some great gigs and repeat business from. clients too.

For me other freelancing sites have more opportunity for American voice over artists so PPH has been a breath of fresh air.

Only good things to say about them.
    :dance:Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will. :dance:
  • chrisuren
    Options
    People that refer the sites get a £10 bonus paid into their PPH account. Maybe that's why shes so keen to "help people"

I've been on the site for a few weeks now, and have had 0 jobs. I've "applied" for 4, but have been undercut by people from India/Singapore and Bangladesh who can do it for cheaper.

Waste of time.
  • Nymph
    Nymph Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    My partner tried PPH for a few days but same thing, got undercut a lot and eventually didn't get any work, although he is a qualified graphic designer with a decent sized portfolio.
    Sell 100 Items Challenge: 7/100
    Online Earnings since 24/10/13: £214.95
    Business orders: 0
    Savings: £6.08
  • chrisuren
    Options
    Nymph wrote: »
    My partner tried PPH for a few days but same thing, got undercut a lot and eventually didn't get any work, although he is a qualified graphic designer with a decent sized portfolio.

Exactly the same for me, I've been doing on/off graphic design since I was 14, working on some pretty good sites with £1,000+ budgets.

But there is always someone on the site willing to do it for £5 less.
  • louise12113
    Options
    chrisuren wrote: »
    People that refer the sites get a £10 bonus paid into their PPH account. Maybe that's why shes so keen to "help people"

I've been on the site for a few weeks now, and have had 0 jobs. I've "applied" for 4, but have been undercut by people from India/Singapore and Bangladesh who can do it for cheaper.

Waste of time.

I can guarantee you that I am not receiving any referral fee. As you can see from my profile I am UK based and not had to undercut. OK on my first job I did apply for something I would not normally like a data entry job but this actually ended up leading to further work. This is how I got my first review.

I have been a member of MSE for a long time as used to do mystery shopping. My intention was just to spread the word
  • louise12113
    Options
    Nymph wrote: »

Unfortunately I can't comment on graphic designer work as I am a writer. I know undercutting does happen but more so on other freelancing sites that are not UK based. I am pretty sure that PPH remove ads where this is happening and you are not allowed to bid under a certain value.
  • louise12113
    Options
    chrisuren wrote: »
    Exactly the same for me, I've been doing on/off graphic design since I was 14, working on some pretty good sites with £1,000+ budgets.

But there is always someone on the site willing to do it for £5 less.

I do take your comments on board because like you said there is always someone willing to do for £1 (I know bit exaggerated), but these are not the kind of clients I would be willing to work with. Pay low and probably get low quality.

It can be very frustrating at times too for me.
  • rebeccajlsk
    Options
    Louise, I am a member of PPH and know that if someone signs up via your referral link, you earn up to £10 once they have been awarded their first job. Quite easy to see on the website too so if you are just trying to spread the word, why not leave the link without your referral code?

Then people wouldn't think you are spamming :)

Debt free wannabe
    Competition addict

Debt paid: /£3600
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills