How to pay off loans

Options

Comments

• ent_moot
    ent_moot Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 June 2017 at 9:29AM
    Options
    What a thoroughly unpleasant person you are. Makes me glad I don't have financially incompetent parents like you do.

Gosh, you misunderstood me entirely. The reason why it is valuable to me is because I have convinced multiple people to get rid of their credit cards and they are much better for it. By having no credit card, I am therefore in a position to provide meaningful and credible (excuse the pun) advice to those who do.

I assure you that it's not at all to "rub their noses in it" as you have evidently perceived.

Rubbing my nose in the fact that my parents are financially incompetent is not appreciated, by the way. My dad has advanced Parkinson's disease at the early age of 60. He can't walk, and it affects his brain severely. Parkinson's is known to impair ones financial judgement.

Yes, I have some severe views. Yes, they may have been brought about in a large part by my parent's situation, but the fact is that they work. I am now in a position, at 32, to pay my parent's full mortgage as well as my own. Obviously a big part of this is because I have a very good salary; however, the majority of people on my salary or above would not be able to afford this because they would have borrowed more, have a bigger house and a bigger mortgage. Because that is just what most people do: they fall for the many psychological traps of consumerism and lending.

Honestly, I expected their to be more kindred spirits on a forum called "money saving expert".
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm sorry your dad is ill

I'm appalled by how judgemental you are - you haven't walked in everyone else's shoes

I suggest you get a CIFAS warning put on dad'd file, advising lenders to ster clear
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • ent_moot
    edited 24 June 2017 at 9:56AM
    Options
    I'm appalled by how judgemental you are - you haven't walked in everyone else's shoes

Please could you be more specific? Who have I judged? I've spoken in general statistical terms. It is a fact that credit card companies make a profit, therefore the people using them, on average, lose out.

I'm not saying that everyone loses out, I'm just saying that, chances are, you do. I suppose that, technically, this is not true of the average reader here because statistically speaking, the average money saving expert reader is likely to be more savvy than the average person, and therefore chances are you don't lose out by using a credit card. But even then, are you okay with the fact that others do?

Obviously I haven't walked in everyone's shoes, and like I said, there will be genuine scenarios where buying something on credit is critical to someone. However, this does not mean that it's a sensible mechanism.

A high interest loan is essentially a penalty one pays for not having the cash at hand. This could be as a result of poor financial management, misfortune, greed, generosity whatever. However, the fact is that the penalty applied is financial. So, you're taking someone who is in a less favorable position financially, and applying a financial penalty.

Is that really a fair and sensible way for the world to work?
  • ent_moot
    Options
    I suggest you get a CIFAS warning put on dad'd file, advising lenders to ster clear

Thanks, this is a very helpful suggestion.
  • adamh87
    adamh87 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are really concerned about their access to further finance then I would consider their agreement to a Power of Attorney a condition to your continued assistance.

I've never had to use it so not 100% certain it's right for you but could be worth looking at?

Hi,

Feel for your situation, we're the same age and I couldn't afford to help my parents the way you are (sadly can't afford to buy a home myself!) so appreciate how challenging it must be. Kudos for helping them :T

I'd look into the above; my parents have PoA over my grandparents and it seems to have worked out quite well. They have symptoms of dementia though not diagnosed and while savvy enough when younger I'd confidently say they qualify as 'vulnerable' now.

Example: when my grandfather saw my Mum using an iPad he went out and bought a Mac despite never having used one (and being comfortable with Windows), it's now the most expensive paper weight in history and he spends a huge amount of time calling Apple CS asking how to do things he could easily do on a Windows PC.

I'd get this done to prevent them causing further financial harm to themselves (or you).

Best of luck!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ent_moot wrote: »
    I've spoken in general statistical terms. It is a fact that credit card companies make a profit, therefore the people using them, on average, lose out.

In true statistical terms, they don't. Most customers don't pay interest.

And lenders can still make a profit from those who don't pay interest.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Please could you be more specific? Who have I judged? I've spoken in general statistical terms. It is a fact that credit card companies make a profit, therefore the people using them, on average, lose out.

sure.

"I believe it to be a common psychological vulnerability that people believe that they need possessions now to survive or to be happy."

reeks of smug judgement.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • ent_moot
    Options
    That is my judgement, yes. If I've come across as smug about it, I apologise.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is a fact that credit card companies make a profit, therefore the people using them, on average, lose out.

I'm sure you think of yourself as money savvy but you are missing a trick here. If you really are sensible with money then a credit card is a must. You just choose the right credit card for your circimstances/usage. I've only ever paid interest which was planned & cheaper than a loan would have been & I have had one since before you were born. Pay it in full (as Martin always says) & reap the benefits. My cashback pays for a weeks shopping at least every year.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    I prefer to educate my friends on how to use cards etc properly/sensibly (if they ask me for advice) rather than telling them to avoid them, which is, I think, less practical and unnecessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure