Letter received from Payplan - 'Cover My Payments'

Options

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Wonder if anyone has tried taking it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, reckon they should welcome this sort of complaint :)
    Almost certainly realised that they are in the %h1t for selling this type of product and are trying their damnedest to head off a flood of claims!

Seems that way.

Worth complaining saying you will be taking it to the FOS if you think it was mis-sold.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Financial Conduct Authority not FOS, also they did everything for free that others would charge you for. This site just jumps at missold even when told its optional
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Options
    Wrong. Its the FOS who would deal with any misselling complaint and who you should take it to. FCA is the competent authority and regulator and would be notified by the FOS of complainst but its the FOS you would have to complain via for redress or refunds.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • chanz4
    Options
    Its not a financial insurance product, have a look at the bottom of their site
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2015 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Still covered by the FOS. FOS covers more than just that.

Regulated by the FCA, but the ombudsman scheme to complain to is the FOS.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • Former_MSE_Helen
    Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2015 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Hi all,

If anyone has a copy of this letter, please send it to me: helen@moneysavingexpert.com

Thanks,
    MSE Helen
  • Former_MSE_Helen
    Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2015 at 10:27AM
    Options
    Letters sent by PayPlan cast doubts over whether people fully understood the membership schemes they were buying...
    Read the full story:

PayPlan 'Cover My Payments' member? Check if you should ditch it

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MoneySavingExpert.com's campaigns manager, Wendy Alcock, says: "The fact PayPlan has needed to write to its customers to remind them of the purpose of the policy rings alarm bells that it's actually of little value."
    Why? Many of the similar letters from banks regarding their loans were not because they were of little value or in any way unsuitable but just because of minor technicalities on previous communications.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • chanz4
    Options
    credit expert is of little value with the scores, does it write and tell us?
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had both cover my payments and cover my life about 5-6 years ago. I remember speaking to them about it, saying that I didn't need their payment protection as I'd rather pay off more each month (totalled about £50 a month over 4 years). I also said I live with my parents who would be able to cover my payments if needed, plus if I did lose my job I would be happy to go bankrupt if needed. They then guilted me into the cover my life saying my parents would be dumped with my debt if I died, so I should be taking both out.

Really interested to see where this goes, and will be digging out the paperwork this weekend (if I can find it after 6 years... Eek!)

By it's very nature, shouldn't a debt management plan only be interested in clearing your debts in the fastest, most affordable way? If I lost my job, surely a renegotiation of my terms with the banks be in order, rather than a costly insurance plan??

I know very little about the life insurance one, so if anyone can cast light on to that I'd really appreciate it .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure