PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing soda liquefying in the heat?

Options
EpsomOldie
EpsomOldie Posts: 192 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 July 2016 at 1:47PM in Old style MoneySaving
Has anyone else experienced this? Just been to put a wash on and as usual have gone to put a scoop of washing soda in with the washing powder to find that the soda crystals look damp. It's not damp though as it's kept in a lock and lock container in a cupboard above the fridge freezer.

Weird I thought, and then spotted an opened pack (Wilko brand) of washing soda that had only a little left - there was too much in the bag when I decanted it into the lock and lock box so I'd sealed the bag with a klippit. I took the klippit off, intending to put what remained in the bag into the lock and lock now that there was space in it, only to find that the washing soda crystals in the bag weren't crystals anymore - not even damp-looking ones, but instead a semi-solid / semi-liquid thick paste.

I can only put it down to a combination of the hot weather plus the cupboard above the fridge freezer getting a little warmer than usual because of the rising warmth given off by the appliance.

I'm guessing / hoping that this is just a harmless chemical reaction caused by the unusually warm weather and it is still safe to use the washing soda. Does anyone know for sure? Also, if anyone has come across this before, what will happen to the washing soda when the ambient temperature returns to normal? Will it stay in its current state or set like a brick, or what?

Thank you - any advice gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• ash28
    ash28 Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    EpsomOldie wrote: »
    Has anyone else experienced this? Just been to put a wash on and as usual have gone to put a scoop of washing soda in with the washing powder to find that the soda crystals look damp. It's not damp though as it's kept in a lock and lock container in a cupboard above the fridge freezer.

Weird I thought, and then spotted an opened pack (Wilko brand) of washing soda that had only a little left - there was too much in the bag when I decanted it into the lock and lock box so I'd sealed the bag with a klippit. I took the klippit off, intending to put what remained in the bag into the lock and lock now that there was space in it, only to find that the washing soda crystals in the bag weren't crystals anymore - not even damp-looking ones, but instead a semi-solid / semi-liquid thick paste.

I can only put it down to a combination of the hot weather plus the cupboard above the fridge freezer getting a little warmer than usual because of the rising warmth given off by the appliance.

I'm guessing / hoping that this is just a harmless chemical reaction caused by the unusually warm weather and it is still safe to use the washing soda. Does anyone know for sure? Also, if anyone has come across this before, what will happen to the washing soda when the ambient temperature returns to normal? Will it stay in its current state or set like a brick, or what?

Thank you - any advice gratefully appreciated.

Soda crystals tend to melt at temperatures over 32 degrees and as the temperature cools down form a solid lump. It's quite safe to use, you can even add water make a liquid cleaner.
  • EpsomOldie
    EpsomOldie Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great - thank you!
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I agree with ash28 they do make an excellent cleaner especially for the tops of stoves or anywhere needed that has got a bit greasy
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Yes it will be perfectly fine to use. This weather isn't unusual either ;):D it happens every year. ;)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I can confirm that it will go like a brick in the end! I ended up with a whole bag-sized solid lump that I spent too long trying to shave bits off.
    I tried adding more water and making it into a useable paste again but it wouldn't soften for me again. I'm pretty sure I ended up chucking it as I seriously couldn't do anything useful with it and we were moving house. Couldn't see the point in taking a huge useless lump with me (insert own jokes here!!).
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never seen them in the liquid stage, but I have had them turn into one lump. A good whack with the rolling pin broke it up nicely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure