Options
2»

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi flenk

We need to differentiate between the different types of requests you can make.

A Subject Access Request (SAR) made under the Data Protection Act is where you request information about yourself from a company and they have 40 days to provide it. If they fail to do so you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

A CCA request under sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 means you are asking for a true copy of your credit agreement and/or a statement of the account. You must send a £1 fee for the request to be valid. The company has 12 working days to provide the information. If 12 days pass and the information has not been provided the debt will become unenforceable until it is provided, assuming the credit agreement was taken out before 6 April 2007.

You can find links to sample letters here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/getting-information/credit-agreement-advice.aspx

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • flenk
    flenk Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks anna_1977 and thanks Susie @natdebtline,
    To Susie-
    I made the second of your example requests and did send the £1.
    The card account was from 2002.
    12 working days have passed since the date of my letter sent both by post and as a pdf file by email.
    Are you saying that they have forever to actually produce a proper copy of the CCA and unenforceability only remains in force until they do so ?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi again flenk

Under the CCA request once the 12 days have passed the agreement becomes unenforceable. If at any point after that they were able to provide a true copy of the credit agreement then the debt will revert to being enforceable. If they struggle to provide the information you may be able to use it as a negotiating tool to get them to write the debt off or accept a full & final offer.

If they take court action before providing the information you should seek legal advice on entering a defence that the debt is unenforceable. Hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • flenk
    flenk Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Please can someone tell me:
    When these debts are purchased what sort of percentage of the original debt are they purchased for ?
    Or put another way, what is the minimum percentage of the original would a debt purchaser accept as settlement ?
    Any advice here would be appreciated.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,942 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 September 2017 at 10:44AM
    Options
    flenk wrote: »
    Please can someone tell me:
    When these debts are purchased what sort of percentage of the original debt are they purchased for ?
    Or put another way, what is the minimum percentage of the original would a debt purchaser accept as settlement ?
    Any advice here would be appreciated.

That information is never divulged, as its a private business arrangement between the original creditor and the new owner.

You can only make an educated guess judging by the amount of discount some DCA`s offer.

A number of other factors also determine this figure, but with discounts ranging from 30% to 60% your looking at pennies in the pound, sometimes you have to be a bit cheeky and try your luck.

But, dont forget, you are still liable for the full amount outstanding, and any discount is entirely at the creditors discretion.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Someone I knew who worked for a DCA said they bought debts for 6% of the value; sounds low to me but maybe it's true. If you're looking to offer a F&F settlement then start low and see what they say.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Someone I knew who worked for a DCA said they bought debts for 6% of the value; sounds low to me but maybe it's true. If you're looking to offer a F&F settlement then start low and see what they say.
    Depends on the type of debts.

Something unsecured with only a year left before being statute barred could easily be that value.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    That's what I've heard - between 6 and 16 %
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts