MCG's Mortgage Free Mission

Options

Comments

• Madcatgirl
    Madcatgirl Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    Been number crunching today and we reckon we should be able to be MF in less than ten years. This really is food for thought and makes me wonder how quickly we can do it, whilst still having a fun life!

We also reckon that due to the crazy house price rises, combined with our ops we'll pretty much be 50% ltv when we come to remortgage in October 2018. Considering we only had 15% deposit when we took out the mortgage in 2013, we should be able to get a better interest rate. This would be mainly due to house price increases rather than ops, but it still helps :)
    March 2016 - £178,914.59; July 2017 £146,160.38
    Mortgage end Sept 2043; Target - pay off by March 2022, now Sept 2021
    Target balance July 2018 £112,560
  • Madcatgirl
    Options
    I've spent a fortune in the past couple of days sorting out the garden! It's looking a lot better though, so will be worth it in the end. I've dug out some seeds as well and planted up a few veggies in the garden - corguettes, tomatoes, peas and salad. Hopefully they'll actually grow this year and not get drowned!

The 50% ltv realisation is spurring us on at the moment. I plugged some figures into a price comparison site and the current interest rates if we can meet that ltv are amazingly good compared to our 3.98%, so it's really worth trying to reach that in time for remortgage. If we paid the minimum we do now on a new lower rate mortgage then, we'd only need a 15 year mortgage, rather than 25.

I've currently got £10,000 saved up for emergencies and a new car. I'm toying with putting some of it towards the mortgage now, as the sooner the better it's paid and making up the rest again in savings. It'd help us reach our target sooner, but I don't like not having a contingency.

I've been thinking about my car. It's 12 years old and I've had it for 8 years. It's worth nothing now and I'm paranoid it's going to conk out soon. However, if I can stretch it out for a couple more years, I hopefully will have a newish car that I can use at least until I'm mf. At the same time, I'd like something a bit newer and less dodgy now. I need to think a bit harder about what I do with it!

Anyway, enough of my ramblings for today :)
  • Madcatgirl
    Options
    So, we've set ourselves a mini goal to meet the 50% ltv, or £150k by September 2018. It'll be a bit of a stretch but it's completely possible, so something to aim for!
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's good to have a goal to aim for, even better if it is a challenge!
  • Madcatgirl
    Options
    I've not posted for a few weeks - we were really busy sorting out the garden finally, and then we've had some sad news about a close family member who is seriously ill at the moment. At times like this, there's lots of extra travelling for visits and late evenings with less time for cooking and more convenience food, so saving money is taking a bit of a back burner temporarily. We'll get back on track soon, but it's a bit of a struggle at the moment!

We're off on holiday tomorrow, all budgeted for, so should be a lovely week :)

We're still on course to meet our mini target, but just having to scale back a bit more.
  • Madcatgirl
    Options
    Hmm, it's been a few weeks since I posted. All my money for the month went down the plug hole at the end of May with visits etc to the family member who was ill, and who then unfortunately passed away. Times like this are rare, fortunately, and financially, we'll be back on track soon. During difficult emotional times its handy to have the financial resource to cope, I suppose.

Anyway, not much has gone off the mortgage this month, but even the little we've paid off helps. However we're now wondering if we should move after all. Our house is nice, but smallish and in an OK area, but not exactly where we would like to like. We could afford to increase our mortgage by approx £50k and get somewhere bigger that needs work, but in a better area. As there would be a small inheritance coming from the family member, this would help with paying for works to any new house. We've not gone beyond thinking about it now, but it makes sense to some degree.
  • Madcatgirl
    Options
    Hi everyone - I'm still here but haven't posted for a while. We've paid off more than £2,300 now, but it's all a bit slow for my liking! However I've had a small increase in my salary so that's going straight to the mortgage in future.

We went on holiday camping, but needed to buy a new tent and ended up spending more than we'd like. I need to replenish the holiday funds for next year.

The small inheritance on its way is likely to go towards paying off some of our btl mortgage now. We keep wondering if we should move, or buy another btl with it, but since we're both just about hitting the 40% tax threshold already, another btl would not really make sense with the mortgage tax relief ends.

I'm still thinking about getting a new car, especially as I think mine is getting dodgier! I might have to prioritise this, but at least I've got money saved up to buy one if it doesn't last much longer!

Not much else to report here!
  • Madcatgirl
    Options
    Right, so I've been reading Mr Money Mustache - very interesting food for thought and he has inspired me to crack on with getting the mortgage down and strive for FI, especially as work is pretty hellish at the moment.

I had a pretty decent amount saved for a new car, but I think now I'll hang onto the old one for as long as possible. So I've taken £2k out of my car savings and whacked it off the mortgage - I can save it again when or if I need it and it's better off saving me interest rather than earning me pretty much nothing in my ISA. I've still got plenty in savings if the car conks out tomorrow so I don't think I need to worry about it too much. I've also found £200 spare thought coming through my accounts, so that's gone off the mortgage as well.

Reading through MMM has made me realise that I've got really complacent about saving and there's loads more I can do now to pay off the mortgage and strive for FI. I'm going to try to one thing a day to help get there. Today I've paid £2200 and also planted up a load of late/winter salads and turnips and filled up an indoor greenhouse we have with salad plants. So that's two things I suppose!

I've got a long list of things to do, so I'll have plenty of ways to save money!
  • Madcatgirl
    Options
    Today I've been concentrating on turning off lights and driving in an efficient manner. I also removed an enormous buggy from my boot to reduce the weight. It's not much, but it all helps!
  • User1489
    User1489 Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks - these are the kinds of tips that don't seem obvious but yes, the pennies mount up.

Okay, so I have a gym membership (which I definitely get value from) but I also never ever shower at home - i always shower at the gym or maybe sometimes at work. Their heat, their water, their soap. I don't do it because it's all free there - I do it because I can.
    Baby Step 1 - £1k Emergency Fund - COMPLETE
    Baby Step 2 - Pay off all debts except the Mortgage - £9,326 to go
    Baby Step 3 - Save 6 months of expenses into full Emergency Fund - £4,300 to go

Baby Step 4 - Put 15% into Pension
    Baby Step 6 - Pay off the Mortgage early
    Baby Step 7 - Live like no-one else :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills