PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dehumidifier birthday present??

Options
It's my birthday next month and I'm not sure what to ask my mum for as a present! Up until recently there was a really nice necklace I wanted but after spending so much time on this board I'm now being drawn to practical things like a dehumidifier!!

I have a washer drier and aside from the drier part being expensive to run, it's complete pants!! If I put more than 3 small things in they never dry!!

Would a dehumidifier help dry clothes in winter if I put it near a clothes horse? I've seen a 10 litre one, would this be good enough to actual make a difference? Also, will it make the room damp if there is lots of wet washing hanging around?!

Thanks in advance!

Anna x
Joined SW 24/02/2011 :j71lb/28.5lb
-6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 :o (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st:j)

Comments

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of wet washing will make a room damp.
    If you were to put wet washing in a room with a de-humidifier and close the door, then it would help to dry the clothes.

I would consider the power consumption of the dehumidifier and calculate how much it would cost to run.

Another tip is to iron stuff whilst it's damp and then hang to air, again though you are introducing moisture into the room, so ideally have a window open for ventilation.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • annaangeluk_2
    Options
    whatatwit wrote: »
    Another tip is to iron stuff whilst it's damp and then hang to air, .

IRON??? Is there any need to swear at me?!?!?! Thanks for tips! Very useful, except for the ironing one!! Don't think the iron has been out of the cupboard for about a year!!

Thanks again

Anna x
    Joined SW 24/02/2011 :j71lb/28.5lb
    -6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 :o (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st:j)
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    Why do you want a dehumidifier? Is it just to help dry your washing??
    If you don't have a damp problem in your house then you don't need a dehumidifier!
    Running a dehumidifier isn't cheap, and too much dry air isn't even healthy. If your house doesn't have a serious damp problem, and you have central heating, then just switching on a fan heater or even a cold air circulating fan would help your clothes to dry quicker.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some people buy humidifiers because their homes are too dry.
    Some people buy de-humidifiers because their homes are too damp but the real, money saving cure for either seems to be correct ventilation.
    A de-humidifier might work for you if you have a problem but you don’t seem to really know whether you will have a problem yet.
    What a waste it would be if your mum bought you a de-humidifier and you didn’t need it.
    Just a man’s opinion, and therefore probably useless, but it’s your birthday. Go for the necklace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure