PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help needed with rusty/oxidised pan please

Options
As the title says... my lovely old jam pan has gone funny (that'll teach me to leave it out). It's 2 different metals, the handle has gone rusty, and the pan itself has got greeny/blue oxidisation all over it :( HELP what can I do?

So far I've tried scrubbing it, washing up liquid, barkeepers friend and salt.
TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!

Comments

• raffe
    raffe Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    i'm sure that you rub rust with tinfoil to get it off, however need to check i'm correct
  • oliveoyl
    oliveoyl Posts: 3,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That'd be handy... I just bought some of that today. I'll give that a go tomorrow, thanks, cos bicarb hasn't wored either.
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh, for good old Vim.

Wire wool should do it.

And a good amount of elbow grease, if you have any.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • oliveoyl
    Options
    Can you still get Vim... I haven't seen it for years?

Thanks for that, I'll try everything tomorrow until something works... at least I hope something works... it was my Mum's and I'm really annoyed with myself for being so careless.
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

• oliveoyl
    Options
    :dance: You are both superstars... the pan now looks better than it did when I got given it!

Thank you :D
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

• Vegiegirlie
    Options
    Can you tell me what you used, I have a rust problem in my bread maker, was it the foil or the Vim or the tomato ketchup that worked?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure