Dentist - check up frequency

Options
For the past 5 years, my dentist has recommended a check up every 6 months, but instead I have attended every year.

In these 5 years I have had no work carried out (lucky me) and have been relieved of 5 x Band A charges.

I have looked on the NHS website but cannot find the information and on the practice website; is there a maximum interval I can leave between appointments before I get removed from their register?

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    The only person who can you is your dentist.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I normally follow the advice of the NHS Choices:
    "How often should I have a dental check-up?

After your check-up, your dentist will recommend a date for your next visit. The time to your next check-up could be as short as three months or as long as two years (or up to one year if you're under 18).
    Generally, the lower your risk of dental problems, the longer you can wait before your next check-up. So people with good oral health will probably need to attend only once every 12 to 24 months, but those with more problems will need check-ups more often. "

A friend of mine had the same problem, so I suggest he do as I do if pressured to have one every 6 month - say you're going away for awhile or make it then change it...
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Oral cancer kills more people each year than testicular cancer and cervical cancer combined. It is the cancer that is increasing most rapidly in occurrence in the U.K. And is appearing in younger and younger people. The youngest I've heard of is 14.

For this reason it is suggested that check ups are left no further apart than one year for anyone. The up to two years quoted by NHS websites has nothing to do with research on oral health and everything to do with squeezing more patients in .

In England and Wales there is no such thing as registration any more and hasn't been since 2006. The dentist has no obligation to see you outside of a course of treatment. Most will try to see regular patients but someone who leaves it a long time will be unlikely to be seen again .

Northern Ireland and Scotland do still have registration but since you are talking about bands of charges I imagine you are in England or Wales.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    Oral cancer kills more people each year than testicular cancer and cervical cancer combined. It is the cancer that is increasing most rapidly in occurrence in the U.K. And is appearing in younger and younger people. The youngest I've heard of is 14.

I would of course accept that as a reason for a 6-month frequency ("we want to be careful" or similar), but those risks have not been explained to me. By choosing to effectively double the time between their recommended visits, anecdotally it would seem I risk being a lower priority than patients who dutifully attend & spend.
    Northern Ireland and Scotland do still have registration but since you are talking about bands of charges I imagine you are in England or Wales.

Yes, they are in England. Effectively my position as a patient then is as a customer who they can refuse to see for any reason (including, but not limited to not following their recommnendations).

Think I'll stick to going every year whilst the going is good.
  • miller
    Options
    Mee wrote: »
    A friend of mine had the same problem, so I suggest he do as I do if pressured to have one every 6 month - say you're going away for awhile or make it then change it...

I wonder what percentage of patients this happens to nationally and what controls are in place? Could be a fair bit of NHS cash and peoples' time lining dentists' pockets.

...one of my old dentists used to drive a Porsche.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The receptionists at my dentist's always say something to the effect that your next appointment will be due in [Month] which is 6 months later. Some take the offer, but I always ask for a 12 month appointment, as it's always possible to have an earlier appointment, if needed.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My dentist used to say next appointment 6 months but now says 6-9 months so I go for 9 months. Apart from visit to hygenist, I haven't had work done on my teeth for at least 15 years!
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 4:19PM
    Options
    miller wrote: »
    I wonder what percentage of patients this happens to nationally and what controls are in place? Could be a fair bit of NHS cash and peoples' time lining dentists' pockets.

...one of my old dentists used to drive a Porsche.

The dentist does not get any extra money. They are given a set budget each year (udas units of dental activity) . If they do less activity they have to pay money back , if they do more they do not get any more money, but they have to deduct patient charges so they lose money!!!

Questionnaires are sent out to randomly chosen patients to check on treatment, recalls and charges.

All dentists have all NHS activity monitored statistically and they have meetings quarterly to discuss their statistics. E.g. If patients are returning too often in a year, if too many emergency treatments are done etc. They then have more money deducted.

Dentists who do not conform will lose their NHS contract and have to repay money.

Dentists earnings have fallen every year in the last ten years. The average dental student is now coming out of uni with £80,000 debt. Considering 80% do not own their own practice and looking at average earnings precious few could afford a new Porsche .
    https://www.smarterwebcompany.co.uk/dentalrecruitnetwork2-co-uk/_img/Copy%20of%20Dental%20Salary%20Survey%202016.pdf
  • miller
    Options
    All dentists have all NHS activity monitored statistically and they have meetings quarterly to discuss their statistics. E.g. If patients are returning too often in a year, if too many emergency treatments are done etc. They then have more money deducted.

They'd better sift out the Haribo addicts then :)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Our dentist says we should have a check-up six months after a visit, but we don't arrange it at that time. They then text us a reminder at six months, I telephone, they cannot fit us in for a while ... and so it becomes an eight/nine month pattern. That suits us, and doesn't seem to perturb our dentist.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport