Bankrupcy help please

Options
13»

Comments

• sammydodger_2
    Options
    I just filled the form as the questions are asked. My husband pays the sky bill and his mortgage - I pay the majority of the other bills however that won!!!8217;t be taken into consideration on a bankrupcy as I can take include the mortgage as a hosue hold expense if I!!!8217;m not paying towards it? And the bills without that would be classed as being split.

I only put expenses down for my children!!!8217;s hair etc same for birthdays etc to be fair I don!!!8217;t go having my hair and nails done weekly and on shopping sprees and nor would i include that.

Maybe that!!!8217;s something we can look at reducing aswell as everything else. Obviously I have been cutting back everywhere I can. Bankrupcy isn!!!8217;t my easy way out or to be taken lightly I!!!8217;m here for advise not to have criticism and sarcasm from someone.

I!!!8217;m glad you and you wife are sensible hopefully you won!!!8217;t find yourself where I am now.
  • LincsPaul
    LincsPaul Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Don't worry Sammy, sometimes people get bored of spending 5 hours swapping home insurance policies to save 20p and come onto the bankruptcy forum to have a go.

If your husband is paying for satellite TV (and you have no evidence of it on your personal bank statements) then take it off your SOA. It's not an essential household bill like say gas so need not be shared anymore than if he was paying 50 quid to go to the gym.

If, however, your TV comes as part of a package deal with phone and internet then you should include it. However this doesn't sound like this applies in your case. Interestingly, the Insolvency Service manual actually looks kindly on these deals as they usually work out cheaper for the essentials (phone and internet) than having everything separate.

Debt Doctor's advice is good. See what the OR will accept. House is looking safe from where I'm sitting...
  • sammydodger_2
    Options
    THankyou - yes it’s a package- all bills including the sky come out of my account and are in my name as I had a spare account I didn’t use so he transfers money in to me - other then the mortgage which goes out of his account - it’s always been easier as he hates making phone calls etc
  • LincsPaul
    Options
    Hmmm well if you don't want to transfer it to your husband's account perhaps just keep it listed and see what the OR says. In the big scheme of things it's not the most important is it. If the OR disallows it from your SOA I suppose you can keep paying it (if the bank account stays open) and make savings elsewhere or your husband will have to take over or open a new account himself. The OR should allow you what you ask for phone and internet.
  • haggis0073
    haggis0073 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    when you go bankrupt you have a right to have a Reasonable standard of living, this includes being able to eat healthly, clothing yourself and family reasonably, enjoying reasonable leisure activities and also having a reasonable sky tv package deal (i dont mean the sports etc).

Please ignore the judgemental posts, you always get some
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would argue that a Sky TV account is a relatively cheap way of offering a reasonable standard of living to a family with children to entertain.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I would argue that a Sky TV account is a relatively cheap way of offering a reasonable standard of living to a family with children to entertain.
    And I would argue that a family paying for satellite television instead of paying back the money that they owe should expect it to be commented on if they mention it.

It is not judging someone to point out that they could pay back more to their creditors if they cut back on the luxuries.
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    John-K wrote: »
    It is not judging someone to point out that they could pay back more to their creditors if they cut back on the luxuries.
    The Insolvency Act 1986 defines spending in bankruptcy as that which equates to the reasonable domestic needs of the bankrupt and his or her family.
    That's reasonable - not basic.
    The Insolvency Service use the Standard Financial Statement (SFS) to evaluate reasonable domestic needs. The SFS allows Sky and other entertainment as well as a reasonable annual domestic holiday.

The ops expenses are perfectly reasonable.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would this be seen as unreasonable? £750 a month on groceries? Do they not see holidays and entertainment as non essential?

Also would they take into account things like children’s swimming lessons etc? Or would they need to be canceled?
    Those expenses are absolutely fine.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • LincsPaul
    Options
    John-K wrote: »
    And I would argue that a family paying for satellite television instead of paying back the money that they owe should expect it to be commented on if they mention it.

The satellite TV adds up to £576 over the year of bankruptcy. With that kind of money, none of it would go to the OP's creditors. It would all go to the OR to cover their costs. The OP is in unmanageable debt of £35k and bankruptcy should write it all off. We shouldn't be squabbling about 50 quid here or there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure