PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 December 2017 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Well, I went out to L1dl with a short list of "must haves" with an eye on Xmas in mind. I wanted to make sure that I had my fizzy pop in the house and jars of instant coffee. And I had some things that I've just about run out of.

So .... a short list.... but I managed to exit from the till with a record breaking bill! I spent nigh on £20!! "On nothing in particular"

I got the beef and 6x2 litres of fizzy pop and 2x200g jars of instant coffee.

Then I got sausage rolls .... because I can/I like them :)

Then it was off to cheese - I first grabbed some cheddar that was £4.71/Kg, but then spotted some that was £4.56 or so - but that came in BIG blocks, and "so I don't run out of this over Xmas/New Year/start of the year" I bought TWO blocks - they'll last me until March!

Also got salad cream, for sandwich making - I do like a spot of salad cream with crisp/cheese sandwiches :) And I bought a tub of marg.

But then, there were quiches reduced 30%, bringing them down to 95p each - so I got two. I'll cut those into very generous 1/3rds and pop in the freezer.

It was the cheese I spent the most on - close to £8 for about 1.6Kg of cheddar. Then £2 on quiche and £3 on coffee. It soon adds up.

For those people who like their Xmas dinner using "sprouts from a stalk" I noticed L1dl are selling sprouts on a stalk and they appear to be purple ones.... but not "fresh off our farm" as they are shrink-wrapped. £1.20-£1.30 a stalk from memory (I looked but wasn't actively remembering as I was also looking at the prices of many other items). In all honesty though - the brussels heads looked a bit thin and sparse, if I were looking for those I'd have left it today.

Early Lunch: I had 2 hot sausage rolls.

What about the beef?: That'll go in tomorrow, with some peppers from the freezer and an onion and a couple of spoons of curry paste (whatever is open).
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I randomly picked up the L1dl Xmas offers leaflet on the way out - just opened it to spot that they've got special prices that week on:

1.5Kg Mini Roasts (spuds) 29p; 1Kg carrots 29p; 500g brussels 29p; 500g parsnips 29p.

So that's most of my Xmas Dinner sorted for £1.16!

:)

I'll do stuffings, maybe a nut roast, Yorkies and then I still can't decide between turkey (love it/compulsory, but larger quantities), or one of those frozen chicken breast joints (£2.49/small but large enough for 2 very generous portions).
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure on lunch here yet.

Weather is OK bit windy but nowhere near as much as I thought it would be, no doubt that is a 'treat' for later mind you it was quite strong last night. Snow likely tomorrow no doubt, I don't mind that.

I'm so pleased that I did remove that Onion granule pot from the order following the excellent advice and thoughts here (thank you!) as when studying the items I realised I'd not added some veggie fingers that I wanted, a bonus as they were on offer too so a win/win.

Lunch is highly likely to consist of a wholemeal cob or two (as their life is tomorrow) as freezing bread + me = something usually is not right. :D , and a hot sausage roll as I treated myself to "a large sausage roll by a famous 'pasty' maker", simply as I'd not had one for quite a few years so it may go well with the cob or I might just have a bit of 'mixi veg' with it as well on a plate, chopped up into a few bits I'm sure it will be nice.

Talking very briefly of shopping well the 'Lid' shop there is one 20 mins away and there's soon to be the 'Ald' quite near that too, they were building something a few months ago but its not yet listed as 'opening soon' so at least I'll have a choice here of these two within sensible distance. :)

Must post my other 'random questions' topics soon too as soon as I gather all the info and remember exactly them all.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 7 December 2017 at 3:06PM
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    ... 'Lid' shop there is one 20 mins away and there's soon to be the 'Ald' quite near that too...

I had an Ald open a year ago, you had to go looking for the opening date/time. They had some giveaways so the queue was very very long .... and I wasn't "one of the first xxx customers" to get a ticket to win something. You'd have had to have been there super early for that, I rocked up 5 minutes before opening time. BUT .... they had a hotdog/burger stall alongside doling out freebies. I think I had two hot sausages in bread rolls on the way in ....and another as I left :)

The two stores are very different -although they look the same at first glance. I've been slowly testing/comparing "identical" products from both to discover which I like the best - and there is a difference that can persuade you that something is better at one or the other. e.g. sausage rolls, I prefer the L to the A ones.

A seems to have a cleaner/brighter experience where I live, but I believe there's a "makeover" coming to L soon and so I expect that to be cleaner/brighter after that. Apparently the makeover replaces freezers with upright freezers.

A do huge/big bread roll baps I like; L don't do those at all.
    L does my favourite fizzy pop (own brand) http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/lidl-price-comparison/Soft_Drinks/Freeway_Diet_Ginger_Beer_2L.html ; A doesn't have any own brand range of fizzy pop that I've spotted yet. Maybe I should look online to see if it exists in theory.
    L sells Bisto gravy; A doesn't.

They both now stock "posh stuff" I don't buy :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    The gale has more or less settled but the sky is purple and the temperature has really dropped so I reckon there will be snow round about if not here:(.
    PN- I'd go for turkey :)

Just having a late lunch of a HM sausage roll that has been lurking in the freezer since I made them last January to use up festive leftovers :eek::o, with some beetroot. There is one let so I suspect that may be lunch tomorrow covered as well. I certainly don't want to hit Christmas 2017 with LOs from Christmas 2016......
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    PN- I'd go for turkey :)
    Yes, I think I'd decided that an hour ago. I figured "It's Xmas, turkey is compulsory, no matter how large a breast you have to buy ...because it's Xmas - and chicken joints can be eaten every other week of the year.... so turkey it definitely is".
    caronc wrote: »

....a HM sausage roll that has been lurking in the freezer since I made them last January to use up festive leftovers ..
    At least you know for sure you can cross that off your list of what to do this year then!

I bought in 3x1 litre cartons of fruit juice last Christmas - still got two in the fridge unopened ... I like fruit juice, but there's a lot of calories in a carton to "just drink it all" - so it's quite a commitment to open one :) The one I did open, I ended up freezing over half of it into lollies .... then struggled to get round to eating those too!
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    The trouble with CFO and Xmas is .... you can't eat everything, you can't have everything ....

Last year I thought I'd made a short list of "essentials & limited treats" but there are still some items that, come the day, I struggled to get through.

This year I'll use fresh veg - last year's frozen 1Kg packs lurked for months.
    This year I'll not buy monkey nuts - they're not as good as they used to be and the packs are large.

Trouble is, I'm struggling a bit between two small boxes of biscuits, I could just buy them both. One is £2.79 at L1dl; the other's 79p at Home Bargains. I should just treat myself really :) They'll get eaten all right.

Fruit - I'd like a couple of satsumas ....not a whole net or box, so didn't buy them last year, but it is nice to have 1-2 max.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Wet & wild this morning, but went out as I "needed" veg suet for the planned dumplings, and B1sto chicken granules, down to my last spoonful. But I forgot, again, the beans / sausages in a tin

I have noted the DIY instant dumpling method and will do it for Saturday, which as well as forecast being Arctic will be stew day all being well

Glad you got the Lid beef PN, my turn tomorrow, and i had already earmarked the celery, I usually add some to stews, a cheffy Holy Trinity thing I believe, celery, onion & carrot

I think we are converging PN, cheese is on my list as well, either L or A$da, both same price per Kg in jumbo block size. I like taste of both so just convenience really

I note stollen is on offer, half price, this weekend at L, I would like one but really don't think I could face the crush, just to find an empty shelf

Oh, while on L subject, pull along trolleys are on from Sunday, mind you nearly £30, mine was nowhere near that price. The offer one seems better than mine, has separate compartment, including a cool bit [are you listening Andy?]
    Come in two options on wheels, the go up stairs type or bog standard

Breakfast was a couple of ginger nuts & tea
    Lunch, cheese salad sarnie

Dinner probably a Moroccan style lamb pie, from L, frozen, must have been on offer at some time because that type of pie, possibly spicy, is not normally one of my food types
    I'll have it with steamed frozen chunky mixed veg

One LO mince pie from yesterday's doggy bag, will eat that later on
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    edited 7 December 2017 at 4:24PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    ....stollen is on offer, half price, this weekend at L, I would like one but really don't think I could face the crush, just to find an empty shelf
    The word was unknown to me until MSE. It's not something I have ever eaten. I don't buy cakes etc at Xmas..... but I'm tempted to try that "at half price" - although L are currently selling their "small panetone" at 99p - and I've never had one of those either!

In the past, although I've been aware of "a raft of German foods" for sale around Xmas, the few ginger cake/biscuits I'd tried from large bags have never been vaguely tasty in my book, so, while sibling/dad would always have a bag and tuck into them, I stayed well away.

On the other hand.... if I buy one would I just be sucked into "buying stuff you'd have never thought of and don't need ....."
    .... trolleys are on from Sunday, mind you nearly £30, mine was nowhere near that price.
    I'd missed that. I'll check them out. Mine cost me £4 (car boot) and has more than paid for itself from the few times it's been used by me walking instead of driving/parking.... it's OK, but I do plan to get another/better one at some future point.

My next one will be based on how it opens/closes and the print on the outside.

EDIT: Here's a link to the L one https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=8821 - looks a bit large/chunky.
    It'd be worth it for the stair variety if you lived in a flat.
    The trolley clip looks handy.
    35Kg load bearing is "a bit good and hefty".

It's not the replacement trolley I had in mind though...
    .... Moroccan style lamb pie, from L, frozen, must have been on offer at some time because that type of pie, possibly spicy, is not normally one of my food types
    That'd be my food type ... price depending.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The word was unknown to me until MSE. It's not something I have ever eaten. I don't buy cakes etc at Xmas..... but I'm tempted to try that "at half price" - although L are currently selling their "small panetone" at 99p - and I've never had one of those either!

If in the area PN, give in to temptation on the Stollen. I had never eaten one either until L arrived, about 1000 calories consumed just by sniffing the pack:eek: It is one of those items that once opened soon vanishes, like sweets & biscuits

The panetone, I have tried it, but can take or leave it, I may get one because I hope to make a trifle for Christmas, and it will make an excellent "sponge" base

PS, wish L used UK spell checker, "curbs" bah:mad:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure