The Festive Fivers competition is back!

Options

Comments

• kiki_kat
    Options
    Penguin Stocking
    Homemade
    Free / £1

I saw a great penguin stocking in M&S for £5 and wanted to get it for my boyfriend.
    I got home and instead found so old pillowcases/sheets of varying colours and got to work. I cut out the shape of a penguin from a black pillowcase and sewed it together. Added some white felt to the top for a tummy. I then cut out two stocking shapes and sewed them together for the stocking. Add the penguin to the front of the stocking and done! For a bit of flurrish I bought some white felt from the market for the top of the stocking for £1 but it looked fine without!

Vista Print Photo Calendar
    Bought
    £4
    From the vistaprint website I was able to upload 13 photos of my choice to create a calendar. I was able to customise with different colours for the backgrounds and even type in important dates (my birthday cough cough!) to be already printed in the calendar. The calendar was free and I only paid delivery, bargain!
  • msgigglewick
    Options
    Funky hat, scarf, glove set

Handmade out of wool from charity shop (£1 at most)

Made for the local womens refuge.... (little something to put a smile on a face)

Infact i've hand made most of my gifts this year out of wool from charity shops.
    Totally debt free wohooo 2014
    Christmas 2014
    Presents bought **** rrp **** Saved ****
    *SAVE*SAVE*SAVE*
  • Sammi_kt
    Options
    Name of present - Make your own cupcake kits
    Bought and homemade
    Price - £2.50/£4.00
    Cupcake kit, including Christmas themed gift box and decoration, can be bought with or without cake and icing mix.
    I can't add a link as I am a fairly new member but the kits are available on the website Lovingly Made (thats an .eu or .co.uk domain) or the Facebook Page called Lovingly Made
  • renniwano
    Options
    Name Of Gift.. Weather Sponge
    Cost.. The price of a cheap car/bath sponge and a piece of string
    How to make.. Tie sponge on the bottom of the string for hanging, write out instructions..
    If sponge is wet it's raining
    If sponge is dry it is sunny
    If sponge is hard it's frosty
    If sponge is gone it was too windy

Perfect! lol
  • tibby17
    tibby17 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 31 October 2012 at 8:56PM
    Options
    Name of present: Choc socks
    Whether it's bought or homemade: Bought/Homemade
    Total cost: £4
    Get some festive socks from poundland. Buy a selection of the intended recipients favourite chocolate bars. Fill one of the socks with the chocolate (like a mini stocking) Do both socks and you get 2 presents!
  • kim85
    kim85 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Name of gift- retro sweet hamper
    Cost - £3-4

How to make
    Take an old vinyl record available to buy from boot-sales for 50p. Preheat your oven to around 200-250°f (100-120 Celsius). Make sure the kitchen area is well ventilated.
    Set your single oven rack to a low position. You want your bowl to form as close to the center of your oven as possible.
    Place a heat proof bowl into a larger pot to stabilize it, and set the pot onto a baking sheet.
    6Carefully center the vinyl record on top of the bowl. In the center of the vinyl record place a bag of dry beans. You can also use a can of vegetables to get a flatter bottom. Just keep an eye on the process so that the flat bottom remains centered.
    7Put this into the oven. Keep a close watch because each vinyl starts to "flop" at a different time. It usually takes 4-8 minutes.
    8Take the whole thing out of the oven (wearing oven mitts, of course) once you notice some real "flopping" going on. You will only have a few seconds to adjust the angle of the bottom and the general shape of the bowl. This is why you need to watch it so closely as it molds.
    9Put your record into another bowl and shape it around that, or you can hand mold it. Sometimes, you might like the way it looks right as you take it out of the oven; if so, skip the molding.
    Here is where you can get creative. Wear leather gloves as this bowl is hot and you can't afford to drop it. You can pull in some folds or rolls to make it resemble a flower, or whatever you see in your mind.
    10Let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
    11Flip it out and enjoy your handiwork.

Once the bowl is made go to the pound shop or similar and pick up some retro sweets e.g. rainbow drops etc of haribo etc, if you make lots of bowls can split load of packs

Put some shredded paper of packing in the bottom of the bowl and then arrange the sweets ontop.

Can wrap with celophane of place straight into a gift bag
  • BeeKirby
    Options
    • Name of present: Goldfish
    • Bought or homemade? Brought
    • Total Cost: About 3 pound
    • Details (the more, the better): Teach children how to look after pers..imaging their faces when they see the little pet :) You can get a bowl on Ebay...there is one on there now for 99p. Fish are about 2 pound each leaving 2 pound for food. You child will never be lonely again :) :rudolf:
  • lucythomas83
    Options
    Name of present: Red Hot Chilli Pizza-Oil (personalised)
    Whether it's bought or homemade: Bought/Homemade
    Total cost: £2.50 each

I made these for my family last Christmas when we decided we would do a handmade secret santa as we were all struggling for cash! We all had to make a present for everyone but not tell anyone who made it.

As a pizza loving family, I decided to make Red Hot Chilli Pizza-Oil. I bought 4 hinged cap bottles, (you can buy these from Lakeland, Ikea for a reasonable price or even better, £1 shops etc), I bought mine from a £1 shop. Then I bought a 1 litre bottle of good quality olive oil and some birds eye chillis. The total cost of this was about £4 - so that's £8 for the four bottles, but you may well have chillis and olive oil already making it even more of a splendidly money-saving and handy present!

I then put the chillis on a baking sheet in a very low oven (about 50degrees) for about an hour or so, until they are dried out. (This is an important step as it stop the chillis going 'off' in the oil at a later date).

Then simply crush some chillis up in a pestle and mortar (or chop them with a knife if you don't have one of these - it works just as well!) and keep some whole and ditribute both the cut up chillis and the whole chillis into the bottles. Fill up with the olive oil and decorate the bottle with whatever you have! Ribbon, tags, pretty stickers, whatever you like! The oil went down a storm and gave pizzas an extra special kick, by all accounts! :j
  • leotombs
    Options
    DIY Family Photo
    Homemade and bought
    Cost: <£5
    Details: (Requires photo printer and digital camera) Buy photo frames. Give them to your family/friends at the same time. Say they are for a family photo that you should take now. Print out photos and give them out. You could also print some poems about Christmas/family etc and put them in the frames before wrapping them.
    Worked a charm for me!
  • riceplaster
    riceplaster Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 31 October 2012 at 9:23PM
    Options
    Name of present - Super Clay
    cost - £3.99
    from - Home Bargains

Description - 12 different coloured polymer clay packs in 1 bag
    great for kids or adults you can make all sorts of models from it, no glue needed as it sticks to itself and it air dries hard, only limits is your imagination I have made models of snowmen, pumpkins, penguins, santas, gingerbread men, door plaques, spiders, fairy toadstool house list goes on, feels lovely to work with
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure