PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Saturday 21 January 2017

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 21 January 2017 at 8:29AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Saturday 21 January 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s ok" is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, but cold and frosty again.

DH and myself up and enjoying first cuppas, he's had some brekkie too as he's going into work - I'll be having a shower in a mo, had hoped for a lie-in but DH woke me when he got up so that idea went down the pan. Dinner last night was disjointed, boys had pizza and chips, I had salad and DH had a cheeseburger, tonight we'll be having sweet chilli noodles, spare ribs in bbq sauce, savoury rice, and a prawn dish of some sort and spring roll, extras etc.

Yesterday I was reasonably productive again, I continued with the washing, drying and ironing, now there's 1 x load in WM ready to be dried, and possibly 1 x load of mens work gear to do, I stripped and changed our bed, bed linen all washed and dried and back in airing cupboard, I did manage to get the 2 hotspot areas I wanted tidied and did lots of shredding of unwanted docs, cleaned out another of the kitchen cupboards and put back the items I want to keep and threw out a few bits, house is really beginning to look better - will continue with this as there's still a long way to go - the de-clutter is definitely helping my mood and keeping me busy. I didn't get any cooking/baking done, but as DH has just gone to work, I'll do that this morning, I'm going to visit the building society and then home to continue with washing, drying and ironing, then do some baking. I'm very happy with where I am with the my GC budget, I have 1 more week to go from next Friday and at present have plenty of budget left - hoping nothing goes wrong - if I get to the end of the month without a disaster it'll be the first month ever I've managed it - proving it can be done, but I did have the advantage of LO's from xmas, but if I come in where I think it's still a very good result, the not drinking is making a big difference, and we don't drink expensive alcohol either!

Lastly, the comedian we went to see last night was excellent as always, had the whole audience laughing right from the start, no support act and we both thought he was brilliant, so we were pleased we decided to get tickets.

Enjoy the weekend x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Oh well. All plans for today will have to be cancelled or suspended till tomorrow as hubby has gone down with food poisoning. We had a takeaway last night, both having separate food but he's been up all night throwing up. My fault for suggesting we had Chinese apparently.

Never mind I wasn't looking forward to going to the tribute band he'd booked tickets for anyway. I'd sort of convinced Youngest he'd like to go instead of me. The hard part would have been to convince hubby. I guess I don't have that problem to deal with.:D

Blackun only got me up once in the night. Things are on the up.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,678 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 January 2017 at 8:15AM
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. After a reasonably mild week for us it feels pretty chilly this morning and the heating has gone on.

I am in a bit of a dilemma here! The aged dishwasher decided yesterday (when it was full and ready to go on!) that its door locking mechanism would stop working! It looks pretty shabby so I wouldn't pay good money out for someone to look at it. BUT we really do need a new kitchen and I have been telling myself long enough I can't face all the upheaval. SO if I don't want to get a new dishwasher for an old kitchen can I face the ordeal of having a new kitchen installed!! I am giving it serious thought as we really do need a new kitchen but I am being a wimp! (And I am getting fed up of washing up after just one day!)

Just a pottering day for me - the ironing basket is still full and must be tackled and I had better start searching for my decluttering head as I seem to have mislaid it. The big batch of celery I got is also still waiting to be transformed into soup. So lots to do if I CBA!!

Have a good day all if you can .COXY and LAINEY thoughts are with you tackling similar jobs. So sad going through the possessions of lost loved ones. HUGS to all in need/want of them and take care all xx

Editing -Get well wishes to JUDI's DH. Hope he is soon on the mend.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    I managed a lie in as Dgd didn't wake until 6:30 and I'm usually at work by then this week.
    I had to get a new battery for my car yesterday as the old one failed.
    I thing I have all the dgd's here this morning as SIL is coaching dgs's football team.
    I shall try to get some housework done around the children but we will be baking and sewing so some housework will wait until tomorrow.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • hollysnan
    Options
    Morning everyone,
    Hugs and thoughts to Coxy and Lainey.

I have not been on for awhile as my head is all over the place.
    I burst into tears at the drop and cry over nothing.
    I went to see my GP as I thought maybe its the new tablets I was on.
    They have taken me off the morphine patches and put me on tablets, but I am not sure they are working as well.Just not sure what to do also I am not sleeping very well, I am very tired.
    The GP wants me to give it another ten days to let them work.

Hope everyone is keeping well there is so much sickness going around.
    Be back later.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I think I messed up and set my alarm an hour too early. Decided to get up and get on with it anyway.

Decided to make avacado, egg and bacon and I've managed to slice half my index finger nail off when chopping the bacon. Lots of blood and very tender. Typing is a challenge.

Anyway, work today followed by nothing. There was rumours of doing something with my pals but that's collapsed, which I'm happy with as I should get a NSD.

Judi - Hope DH feels better soon
    TA - Tricky one. I would personally be MSE about it and either fix the existing DW or buy a new one. New kitchen seems excessive.
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Good morning and thank you for the thread nmlc.
    I've been up for a while, achieved precisely nothing!
    Today I plan to scrub out the kitchen and bathroom, then just a quick clean round in the sitting room and then the rest of the day is my own.
    Yesterday was very cold but with a brilliant blue sky, and I'm hoping today will be similar.
    I had to change my work days this week so worked yesterday and then went to a friend's house for a cup of tea, OH cooked for himself and son, I made a small and rather boring risotto for myself. It was one of those days when I walked to the bus stop as needed to leave before OH was ready, another walk to work from the city centre and then another to get to my afternoon appointment, not on a bus route. Final walk through dark and frosty streets back to home as I got off the bus at a time when the chaps were eating, so I think I got a reasonable amount of exercise. Especially as much of it involved trundling my computer in its trolley bag thingy.
    I have reached the conclusion that my life is a bit dull, the interesting parts are to do with work and I am unable to post about that.
    I hope everyone has a good day with love to LaineyT and anyone else who woukd like some.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Thanks SPEKY and I know that's the MSE option. But you haven't seen my shabby kitchen! It really does need replacing and I think the broken dw is nudging me into it having it done!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    TA I have never had a dishwasher but I'd love one, it may not be very mse but if you can afford it and a new kitchen would bring you joy, go for it!
    Speky, that sounds horrid, poor finger.
    Hollysnan, I hope things feel less dismal soon.
    I need toast.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I think I messed up and set my alarm an hour too early. Decided to get up and get on with it anyway.

Decided to make avacado, egg and bacon and I've managed to slice half my index finger nail off when chopping the bacon. Lots of blood and very tender. Typing is a challenge.

Anyway, work today followed by nothing. There was rumours of doing something with my pals but that's collapsed, which I'm happy with as I should get a NSD.

Judi - Hope DH feels better soon
    TA - Tricky one. I would personally be MSE about it and either fix the existing DW or buy a new one. New kitchen seems excessive.
    No football today Speky?
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

I am another one who has had a lie in this morning, it was almost light when I got up to see to the pets. I'm just sat here having my first cup of tea and a toasted bacon and avocado sandwich. I managed to keep my fingers intact though....Oh Speky, that does sound sore.

Well we have had a rough time this week, my poor little DD14 came sobbing into my bedroom a couple of nights ago and told me she had had enough. She has been hearing voices which are aggressive and frightening and she has also had a recurring nightmare every night for months. I feel awful as it is how my illness started. I took her to see my lovely gp yesterday and he is doing an urgent referral to camhs for her.

I have been so worried about DD16 that DD14 has been under my radar. She puts on a happy cheerful front but it was all fake as she is so unhappy. I am trying to be strong for her and positive but inside I feel like the worst mum ever. I always knew there was a risk of my girls having a mental illness but now three out of the four of them are having or going to have counselling and goodness knows what else.

Sorry to be so miserable but it was a shock. I thought long and hard over whether I should have children in the first place but decided to as I was stable and in a good relationship. I love my girls so much but I am so sad to see them unhappy now. I just need somewhere to put my thoughts as I am the one who listens to all my friends problems and apart from my lovely cmht lady I have no one to talk to about it all.

Hubby is in charge of cooking today and I have to take the girls to specsavers this afternoon for their eyes to be tested. I definitely need stronger glasses as well.

My good thing is feeling grateful for having the NHS and such a lovely doctor.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport