PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Saturday 16 September 2017

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 16 September 2017 at 5:48AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Saturday 16 September 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself awake enjoying first peaceful cuppas of the day.

Dinner last night was chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/salad for the menfolk, I had a clear up dinner, of half a packet of a stir fry mix from the freezer, then a use up from the fridge of peppers, courgette, onion, carrot, pak choi, mushrooms, a drizzle of soy and some balsamic, and a splash of white wine, it was delicious and was just veg. Tonight will be an easy dinner of ready made s/fried chicken, pizza, chips and salad.

Yesterday I did get the ironing all done, and tried again to make bread, the machine has definitely died, it worked for a few minutes then started making a god awful noise and the paddle that does the mixing wasn't working and the motor sounded like it was going to explode - so it's going to the tip. At the moment I've made a decision not to replace it - as I don't use it enough. The extra space in the cupboard will make a lot of difference as I'm now going to have a sort out and get as much off the worktops as possible, it'll just make it look a huge amount better and it'll be easier to keep clean.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• ancientofdays
    Options
    Morning all and thank you for starting the thread nmlc.
    Yesterday involved hours and hours of cleaning, but I managed an hour to myself at the end of the day and fell asleep on the sofa after dinner.
    Today I must shop for birthday gifts and am calling in at my friend's house for a cup of tea after that.
    I hope everyone has a good day, and am thinking of those with worries and woes.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's not a bad morning here. I'm sitting with the back door open as Max wanted to go out and it feels quite pleasant. I've just made myself a nice cup of tea and I am ready to catch up on what's been happening in the world.

I had a nice day yesterday but it was very busy with visitors coming and going. I also managed to take Phoebe to the doctors for her blood tests that CAMHS wanted her to have. Lilly has her friend sleeping over, they have taken over the living room so I am busy being quiet in the dining room :).

Today promises to be quite busy too. I have shopping being delivered in a couple of hours and Becky has a new mattress being delivered at lunch time. My lovely friend is all on her ownsome after being abandoned by the men in her life to go and play football so I suggested she comes here for some company and tea. I am expecting her this afternoon.

I ordered some new pillows as our old ones have gone a bit flat but my goodness, these new ones are awful. They are supposed to be the overstuffed ones but when I put my head on them last night I just went straight down and nearly hit the mattress. They are as unsubstantial as a cloud so I am going back to my old ones tonight.

Becky went to her first concert last night. She went to see an AC/DC tribute band and took Steve along as her bodyguard. I think she had a great time judging by the photos on Facebook. I don't know if Steve enjoyed himself though as I was fast asleep by the time he came in.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off nmlc

I’ve given in every evening this week and had the heating on for an hour or so and I just can’t cope with having a shower in a cold bathroom so have set the time clock for it to come on for a short time before I get up I the mornings. It seems early this year to need this.

The organisation that I volunteer for has got a stand at a jobs/volunteering fair today and I’ve agreed to talk to potential volunteers for a couple of hours this morning. It’s something we attend every year and I always enjoy talking to people who are interested in the work that we do so I don’t mind doing it.

Dinner tonight will be sausage, mash and veg. I got the sausages out of the freezer yesterday when looking for something else and they had started to defrost before I realised they were still out. At least it made the decision on what to have tonight easy.

Time for some more tea, and some breakfast before I get ready to go out.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone - still under my duvet as I slept so well last night.

Mum arrived home about 7.00pm (boy was I relieved), had a wee wander round her flat, sat on the sofa for a cup of tea and then went to bed. Hopefully she'll have also slept well.

I'll go to do a little shopping for her this morning and just spend the day looking after her. A big injection of mega TLC is on the cards.

I hope everyone is doing well. Happy Saturday to all.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 September 2017 at 7:59AM
    Options
    Good morning all

Thanks for starting us off nmlc

Pleased to hear your Mum is home Gers

Yesterday was not a good day. Went to visit Mother in the morning, she decided she didn't want to talk to me. This upset DH who told her what he thought, so we cut our visit short.

My mobile phone is very old and the battery didn't hold its charge, so I bought a new one online, silly mistake.
    I spent most of the afternoon trying to take the back off to put the sim and battery in. Then it was ring this number, put in 19 digit code (which I could hardly see as the print was so small) then PIN number, Oh dear, I'm too old for this. Only want a phone in case of emergency. A couple of times I was tempted to put it in the bin. Should have bought it in store and had help, my own fault.

Today looks bright, not sure what I'll be doing.

Hope you all have a good day.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • camelot1001
    Options
    Morning All

Glad DM is home Gers, a big relief for you.

The weather isn't really doing much at the moment, I've put my bedding on the line but it's just hanging there. Typical, the last two days have been lovely drying weather!

DD, DS2 and I went to Glasgow last night, met in a pub then walked to a curry house, it was really lovely food and I was glad of a walk back to the station. I ate far too much but really enjoyed it.

Need to take my phone to Tesco this morning, the bluetooth has stopped working so I can't connect to the car, I'll drop DS2 off in Glasgow on my way as he's going to Edinburgh to catch up with some friends later.

Hope you all have a great weekend, take care. XX
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning everyone and another bright start to the day .
    Great that you have your Mum home again Gers I bet that is a relief and now to give her a wee pampering :)

Silver-oldie find a teenager that you trust locally and they will do the phone for you.My DGS always fix my techy problems as youngsters are so au fait with all sorts of phones.

This morning I am off to church cake sale (a bit coals to newcastle really ) but I promised I would show my face and its a good cause As I am off down to my sis-in-laws in Faversham tonight I will buy one for her as a little present We are going out to dinner tonight at Deal so no cooking for us just lots of nattering I expect.

DD texted me yesterday morning and said could I take the hamster's cage up to the tip as it had died during the night ,so I dutifully went round saw the cage ,put it in a bin bag and dropped it off at the tip for her .
    Last night she rang and said what did you do with Bluey (the hamster !!! errr .... I didn't do anything with it why ? apparently she said he was in his little box still !!!!OOPs
    Bluey went to the tip as well
    Oh dear I thought she had taken it out for burial:o:o:o:o So I'm in the dog house (well the hamster house I guess :):):)How was I to know ???:):):)

She gets her new car tomorrow so it will put her in a better frame of mind :):):)

Right time to get a wriggle on as I have lots to do today
    Have a good one chums what ever you are doing ,enjoy

JackieO xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all

What a beautiful sunny day it is here. The heating will come on in a minute. I'll have to turn it off.

Went shopping last night, apart from it being dark, shopping late at night definitely has its benefits. The shop was dead.

Hubby has gone to work. First Saturday he's done in quite a while and he's only gone in because they are paying him double time and has spent a lot lately (on the house though so I won't complain). One of his cars is in the garage tomorrow. I'm amazed they work Sundays but when needs must I suppose.

I've been a bit lapse on my charity giving lately. Went to send some money to my daughter in SA only to find the banking transfer fees have doubled. PayPal it is then and I hate PayPal with a passion!

Not sure what to do with my day. I need to sort my fridge out that's for sure as last night I just chucked everything in.

Gers so glad your Mum is home.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to all those in need, glad mum is home Gers.

CHS has been dropped at work, I've done the shopping for the week, oh the joys of having a working fridge again. I treated us to a small piece of lamb, ouch it was expensive, I shall make it stretch to a few meals. I spent £38 in total, more than I should for 2 of us, but cheaper than shopping every couple of days.

I had a message from a friend who had her 20 week scan, the baby has Edwards Syndrome, it's unsurvivable, so sad, she had a miscarriage last year.

I'm best get on with cleaning the boat, and get the washing machine going.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :wave:

Am sitting in the fresh air on the allotment, making the most of the peace & quiet with just birds and the odd local cat for company. It is due to rain later so thought I would come & do a couple of things before the weather arrives and I retreat home to do my college assignment... I am very skilled at procrastination however, so may well find something more interesting to do ;)

Gers glad your mum is home
    Judi have you looked at Western Union for your money transfer?
    Dumpling one of our neighbours plays bass in an AC/DC tribute band
    HH how many more days till the Great Escape?!
    Camelot enjoy having both of the offspring together
    Silver Oldie hope your DH wasn't too outspoken
    AoD did your DS help with the cleaning?

Right, am off to pick tomatoes in the greenhouse as its started to rain, have a good day all.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills