Funding for flat block repairs

Options
2»

Comments

• bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Isn't it up to each leaseholder to come up with their share of the repair cost? Otherwise you could end up with the Company being liable for the loan if the individuals don't pay.

I wouldn't wish to be funding via a loan to the Company, which the Directors could end up being liable to pay for.

The Committee should get several quotes for the work and then organise a meeting of the leaseholders where it is made clear that they each need to come up with their share of the cost imo.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Nobody gives loans for £200k without serious collateral - basically I'd imagine you'd have to mortgage the freehold which is only going to increase the legal costs and cause problems down the road when some people will be compromised by others refusing to pay. You'll also be paying interest, probably quite high if the properties are worth less due to bad roof (by definition), so it makes it harder for a lender to get their money out again if there's a problem.

I'd say you have a cashflow problem, not a cash problem. It may be cheaper to do all the rooves at once BUT you cannot afford to, so will have to do them incrementally. Raise the sinking fund contribution to a viable rate, and get started once there's enough for the first tranche of work. It's the only option you really have.

There is another, far worse, option - getting a management company involved. They'll take far longer and charge far higher fees than a few volunteers, and you can be sure they'll take a kickback built into the builders fees too. Maybe if you present this as an either/or option to people (raise sinking fund contributions vs getting rinsed by private management company) they'll see you're offering good value.

BTW this is why I am bad at sharing and like benevolent dictatorships as a model - you've got the worst ever kind of 'splitting the restaurant bill' scenario here, where your own financial future and assets are tied into the private interests of other (often absent/uncaring) parties.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    Don't take offence, but it would appear that the management company has not been doing its job very well, if they have let this scenario develop, without a backup plan. Or a large amount in a sinking fund to cover just this sort of circumstance.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • G6JNS
    G6JNS Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    Gibsy wrote: »
    Hi

I'm a director on the management committee for a group of 28 flats in 7 blocks. The flats date back to 1910 and the original roof has outlived its useful life and needs to be replaced. We've been quoted approx £200,000 to fully reslate the roof and we are now looking for funding. There is no enthusiasm amongst owners for a £7000 bill per flat to cover the cost and so we need to seek a loan or grant for the work. Myself and the other directors are simply volunteers with no experience in this area.

Is anyone able to advise on good sources of funding for this sprt of project? We hold our bank account with Coop bank and will of course start there but other suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks
    You need urgent professional advice on the whole scheme. If the work needs doing then the freeholders have to pay. AFAIK it is their responsibility to raise the finance individually.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is the info I got back...
    "Firstly, are they a limited company? and are all the owners directors?
    Secondly, has someone read their articles of association to see if they are allowed to borrow money?
    Are the directors willing to stand gaurantee?
    How long are the leases?

Most banks would be willing to negotiate subject to a lot of conditions, however, interest rates might be very high.
    Actually, the alternative is to impose a levy. It might be easier for each owner to borrow the money and the interest rates would be a lot less as they would be able to add the loan to their existing mortgages and would be paying mortgage interest rates not bank interest rates. If an owner doesn't have a mortgage they should find it very easy to raise one given that they can use the property as security.

For the company to borrow money it would then make it extremely difficult to sell a property as there would be this great big debt to settle.

In all probabibility every owner would have to stand gaurantee.... and you just need one who won't for the whole project to potentially fall apart.

Sorry - this is not good news for your contact.

Your contact could get the freehold valued and see if there is anyone interested in buying it."
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Options
    Get everyone to take out a £7,000 unsecured loan over 5 years, around £130 a month.

Much more better way of financing the works I thunk.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    |I've never seen the management company borrow for this, always the individuals. It's a car crash otherwise.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    The House Buying/Renting etc. board might be a better place to ask about this now. What exactly do the leases say about major works:

"It is important to understand that the landlord's power to levy a service charge and a leaseholder's obligation to pay it are governed by the provisions of the lease. The lease is a contract between the leaseholder and the landlord and there is no obligation to pay anything other than what is provided for in the lease.

The lease may contain specific terms obliging the landlord to carry out certain works or provide certain services and, if a service charge is to be payable, the lease must contain a power for the landlord to recover the cost of those works or services from the leaseholder. It must specify whether the charge is recoverable in advance or in arrears of the provision of works or services, and whether it is to be collected on a regular basis, perhaps annually or on a specified quarter-day, or whether it is to be levied as costs arise. The lease may be very specific in its wording, setting out quite precisely the works or services to be chargeable. Alternatively, the clauses may be very general, simply referring to costs of the repair and maintenance of the structure of building.

It can generally be assumed that a service charge will be payable and will cover the repair and maintenance of the fabric of the building and the fittings, the lift or the boilers etc, as well as cleaning, lighting and maintenance of common areas. Other obligations depend on the scope of services provided. In some cases this is done simply by referring to the landlord's costs in meeting his obligations, as set out in one of the schedules to the lease."

http://www.lease-advice.org/publications/documents/document.asp?item=14
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport