'Confirm where you are resident for tax purposes' letter has come through the post...

Options

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response.

I know I'm probably being an idiot here, but does this mean the letter is legitimate and that I SHOULD reply? And is it correct to use your National Insurance Number as a 'TIN'?
    You can give your national insurance number or your UTR (HMRC's Unique Taxpayer Reference that you use on self assessment tax returns, if you do them). Both fit the bill for a taxpayer identifying number (TIN) in the UK. This should be explained in the definitions that come with the letter.

If you were USA resident or citizen your Social Security Number would be your TIN. If resident in France, your "numero fiscal de reference" or "numero SPI". In Guernsey or Canada, you would locally call it your Social Insurance number, SIN. Aussies have a Tax File Number or TFN. And so on.

Nearly all countries have tax ID numbers for individuals but they call them different things so Lloyds have simply captioned it using a generic term, because if they headed it up "National Insurance Number", a French resident might think he didn't have to fill it out because he didn't have one of those, when of course he does really have something equivalent.

The Common Reporting Standard is a legitimate set of regulations being introduced in over 100 countries - new bank customers in the last year will have already had to declare their tax residency but banks need to go back and fill in the gaps on their massive existing customer base to support ongoing reporting.

Below is the page on the OECD website where UK published its guidance to tell banks around the world that for UK people, NI numbers and UTRs were both valid types of TIN and where you would expect to find them:

https://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/crs-implementation-and-assistance/tax-identification-numbers/
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 January 2017 at 3:45PM
    Options
    I've just discovered that if you have online banking you can log into your account and do it all there. Now wouldn't that have been easier. That's Halifax by the way but I am assuming Lloyds will be the same (we all know what assume did though don't we). They had filled mine in presumably from the form & all that was missing was my town of birth. So thanks to LoopyLoop for posting about that!
  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you say where in online banking?
  • badmemory
    Options
    It was in the section about personal details, where the phone number, email address etc is. Your profile, under change your details, it doesn't show in the initial part of the profile.
  • PAUL7331
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    I've just discovered that if you have online banking you can log into your account and do it all there. Now wouldn't that have been easier. That's Halifax by the way but I am assuming Lloyds will be the same (we all know what assume did though don't we). They had filled mine in presumably from the form & all that was missing was my town of birth. So thanks to LoopyLoop for posting about that!

I too have just had this letter. So to confirm, can you just log in to halifax online banking and confirm you are a UK resident on there? And then thats it?
  • badmemory
    Options
    It seems if the info is on your account they can't tell if you responded or if you did it yourself & so you don't get the nasty reminders.
  • Cook_County
    Options
    You have no legal obligation to reply. The financial institution has a legal duty to be compliant. You do not and can ignore these letters.
  • badmemory
    Options
    And the bank has every right to close your accounts because you did not comply
  • robusta
    Options
    You have no legal obligation to reply. The financial institution has a legal duty to be compliant. You do not and can ignore these letters.

Hi Cook_County,

Thanks for your response.

Are you sure there is no risk if we are not responding to the letter? I received it in France and I am resident abroad. I was thinking of calling and just try to see if this could be sorted by phone.

R
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Why not take the letter into the bank, ask to see the manager and ask them to explain it? You'll know if it's legit then and you can also ask the manager what happens if you refuse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure