PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Resizing fitted sheets?

Options
I've inherited lots of bedding but the fitted sheets are for a king size mattress and mine is a double.
Would it work if I sewed a new seam along the darts or is the elastic going to go funny around the opening?

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I would just tuck in the extra, like you do with old fashioned sheets. :)
  • ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you have lots of kingsized sheets to use up, you could buy a cheap mattress topper to make your mattress an inch or two thicker. (I have a double bed and when I bought a new, thicker mattress all my old double fitted sheets suddenly kept coming off at the corners. Nearly drove me crazy, but kingsized sheets for a treat.)
  • ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Aaagh, autocorrect!! Should say "fit a treat".
  • AlwaysAllie
    Options
    I've had similar issues with the correct size sheets that seem too deep.

With one set I put them on the bed inside out and pinned the corners to fit then sewed them - not perfect but much better.

The others I tried to do the same but finished up sewing a deep seam down the un-elasticated sides and threading through more elastic. Again not perfect but an easyish fix.

AA
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought these for M-i-L, have used them myself when the elastic went around one side of a sheet, & gave some to one of the children when they went to UNi & took double sheets, rather than single.

https://www.sheetsuspenders.co.uk

I got ours from either Betterware or some other company who drops a catalogue through your door.

They are just a length of elastic with suspender clips at each end and you clip them diagonally underneath the corners of the sheets. You can even keep them clipped on when you wash your bedding.

As you can buy the suspender clips in the haberdashery dept of stores, if you can sew you could probably make your own.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    I bought these for M-i-L, have used them myself when the elastic went around one side of a sheet, & gave some to one of the children when they went to UNi & took double sheets, rather than single.

https://www.sheetsuspenders.co.uk

I got ours from either Betterware or some other company who drops a catalogue through your door.

They are just a length of elastic with suspender clips at each end and you clip them diagonally underneath the corners of the sheets. You can even keep them clipped on when you wash your bedding.

As you can buy the suspender clips in the haberdashery dept of stores, if you can sew you could probably make your own.

Also useful for tightening covers on an ironing board:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure