Some Bankruptcy Questions

Options
I have just been told (yesterday) by step change that myself and my partner should go bankrupt. There’s a lot of things swirling in my head at the moment but some initial questions I had are the following. Is anyone able to shed any light on these?

Do all you bank accounts get frozen, even a basic bank? I was planning on opening up a Nationwide basic account and transfer direct debits such as life insurance and council tax? Just wondering how this works with DD payments do they get bounced?

I was going to sign up to a new broadband supplier (sky) moving from BT. Is there any point as the OR will tell them I’m now bankrupt and I believe your then treated as a new customer. Does anyone have any experience of this?

What assets are they interested in? We lease a car and rent a home and don’t have anything of real value. Do they look at this like games consoles, TV’s or are they only interest in things with a value over £1000?

How likely are they to allow you to keep a lease car?

Can you still spend on a credit card after being advised to go for Bankruptcy by step change?

After filing for bankruptcy are you allowed to have savings or investments? I was thinking of a basic instant access account, ISA, or a ftse tracker.

Do they ask to see payslips or just bank statements as proof of earnings?

Do they take a dim view of you opening betting accounts? It’s for matchbetting not actual gambling.

Are spreadbetting accounts allowed as well?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for anyone taking the time to answer them.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi John,

I have just been told (yesterday) by step change that myself and my partner should go bankrupt. There’s a lot of things swirling in my head at the moment but some initial questions I had are the following. Is anyone able to shed any light on these?

Do all you bank accounts get frozen, even a basic bank? I was planning on opening up a Nationwide basic account and transfer direct debits such as life insurance and council tax? Just wondering how this works with DD payments do they get bounced? These type of expenses would normally be permitted and you would need to speak to the OR about these.

I was going to sign up to a new broadband supplier (sky) moving from BT. Is there any point as the OR will tell them I’m now bankrupt and I believe your then treated as a new customer. Does anyone have any experience of this? The OR are unlikely to get in touch with your broadband provider however, you need to consider carefully how much this would cost as an expensive contract may not be a permitted expense on the budget. And you will need to check the terms and conditions with the provider.

What assets are they interested in? We lease a car and rent a home and don’t have anything of real value. Do they look at this like games consoles, TV’s or are they only interest in things with a value over £1000? The OR will be interested in assets that hold value, so that wouldn’t normally include electrical items as they depreciate very quickly.

How likely are they to allow you to keep a lease car? You will need to check the terms and conditions of the lease agreement. It may have a clause that states if you declare insolvency the contract is terminated anyway. If they permit the contract to carry on then the OR will have discretion about whether to permit the payments, depending on how much they are.

Can you still spend on a credit card after being advised to go for Bankruptcy by step change? This would not be advisable as you are spending money you have no intention to repay and that is fraud.

After filing for bankruptcy are you allowed to have savings or investments? I was thinking of a basic instant access account, ISA, or a ftse tracker. This will not be possible before you are discharged, and won’t be possible if you are subject to an Income Payment Arrangement (IPA). If you have more than £20 per month of disposable money this will be taken for an IPA for 3 years.

Do they ask to see payslips or just bank statements as proof of earnings? The OR will likely ask for payslips.

Do they take a dim view of you opening betting accounts? It’s for matchbetting not actual gambling. This is unlikely to be a permitted expense and any winnings would be taken as an asset before discharge and taken through an IPA if that is something you are subject to.

Are spreadbetting accounts allowed as well? Same as above.

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for anyone taking the time to answer them You are doing the right thing by asking these questions now, and ensuring you understand what bankruptcy would entail before making the application.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • John28337398
    Options
    Hi Laura thanks very much for taking the time to reply. That’s been most helpful. I have some further questions I hope you can help with?

If the OR doesn’t let me keep the leased car and I suppose they won’t. What happens with the charges that get incurred due to ending the agreement does this all form part of the BR. Also the car needs serviced and has some small damage that I was going to repair myself, but if it gets handed back does the cost of service and damage just form part of the BR?

My company has a share scheme where you pay £50 pre tax and they match this amount and you buy £100 of the company shares. You need to keep them for 5 years to sell them tax free. Just now there is around £9000 in it but I can’t sell the shares without losing any bough with the companies £50. So I f I was to sell everything I’d lose have of it and then pay tax and national insurance on the remaining shares. It only costs around £33 per month after tax to participate in the scheme. I’m assuming I’ve no chance of keeping this and would need to sell them all. What’s the chances of still being allowed to keep paying the £50 after BR?

Also if I know I’m going to lose my lease car I could sell them myself just now and buy a car with the money I will need a car so I don’t think this is unreasonable but how would the OR view it. I’ve not actually filled out any forms for BR yet only been advised by step change that I should.

Can I confirm about bank accounts I have been advised by step change to open a basic one now before declaring BR. I have done this last night (Nationwide) though they say you should wait until after you are bankrupt to open the account. If I move all essential DD to this account does it still get frozen?

What if my salary gets paid in and the account gets frozen is the salary confiscated? How long normally would the OR keep a basic account frozen if it was used to pay essential bills council tax etc?

Does the OR ask to see statements from betting accounts, paypal, prepaid cards such as revoulut, spread betting accounts?

How likely is the OR to accept my budget if its been reviewed and accepted by step change. Do they normally agree with step change or are they likely to challenge it?
  • John28337398
    Options
    Also does an energy supplier automatically put you on prepayment meters or are you allowed to continue with your current plan? I'm with EDF at the moment.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also does an energy supplier automatically put you on prepayment meters or are you allowed to continue with your current plan? I'm with EDF at the moment.

No - you are not automatically put on a prepayment meter. Are you in arrears with the payments? If not then the company should just give you a new account number and you would continue paying as usual.
    Usually only the people you owe money to will be contacted by the OR.
  • John28337398
    Options
    Thanks for the reply one less thing to worry about, did my readings last night and less than £100 in debit with them but that should be covered over the next couple of months as the heatings not being used much and I'm up to date with payments.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 August 2017 at 5:47PM
    Options
    Hello again,

Hi Laura thanks very much for taking the time to reply. That’s been most helpful. I have some further questions I hope you can help with?

If the OR doesn’t let me keep the leased car and I suppose they won’t. What happens with the charges that get incurred due to ending the agreement does this all form part of the BR. Also the car needs serviced and has some small damage that I was going to repair myself, but if it gets handed back does the cost of service and damage just form part of the BR? Any debt that accrued prior to the bankruptcy would be included. You should speak to the lease company first and if they say they will not permit the agreement to continue after you go bankrupt you should return the car. Follow the process to do this as outlined in the agreement and any shortfall should be included in the bankruptcy.

My company has a share scheme where you pay £50 pre tax and they match this amount and you buy £100 of the company shares. You need to keep them for 5 years to sell them tax free. How long have you had them now? Just now there is around £9000 in it but I can’t sell the shares without losing any bough with the companies £50. So I f I was to sell everything I’d lose have of it and then pay tax and national insurance on the remaining shares. It only costs around £33 per month after tax to participate in the scheme. I’m assuming I’ve no chance of keeping this and would need to sell them all. If it is an asset that can be realised, they will likely be sold as part of the bankruptcy. What’s the chances of still being allowed to keep paying the £50 after BR? Unfortunately, this is very unlikely.

Also if I know I’m going to lose my lease car I could sell them myself just now and buy a car with the money I will need a car so I don’t think this is unreasonable but how would the OR view it. If the car is on lease you are only renting it, so you must not sell it. If there is an option to buy the car at the end that is hire purchase. It may vary some of the advice given but the car is still not yours until the final payment is made. You cannot sell it, and use the money to buy something else, especially if you are going to go bankrupt. I’ve not actually filled out any forms for BR yet only been advised by step change that I should.

Can I confirm about bank accounts I have been advised by step change to open a basic one now before declaring BR. I have done this last night (Nationwide) though they say you should wait until after you are bankrupt to open the account. If I move all essential DD to this account does it still get frozen? Yes it would likely be frozen, but you can ask the OR to authorise essential payments, and the OR may not freeze it for particularly long if it is a basic account.

What if my salary gets paid in and the account gets frozen is the salary confiscated? Again, you can ask for money to be released/ authorised for essentials. How long normally would the OR keep a basic account frozen if it was used to pay essential bills council tax etc? As above.

Does the OR ask to see statements from betting accounts, paypal, prepaid cards such as revoulut, spread betting accounts? They would likely ask to see things like this.

How likely is the OR to accept my budget if its been reviewed and accepted by step change. Do they normally agree with step change or are they likely to challenge it?
    The OR will assess the budget in their own right. Step Change are a free debt charity and should’ve helped you work out a realistic and sustainable budget, but unfortunately, we can’t say if the OR will accept these figures or challenge them

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    May I please correct the above reply...It is the bank that freeze bank accounts, not the O.R.

This does not always happen many basic accounts carry on as normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure