Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question

Options

Comments

• Sandytoes123
    Options
    Before my ex left me and two small children he snd the bank persiaded me to consolidate debts into one loan credit cards and over draft of joint accounts). Now i wm left with a ton of debt in my name (he didnt qualify not living in the uk long enough) and he has gone back to australia, this is getting for 5 years ago split and 3 1/2 years hes been back in Australia.

It is a huge stress and worry being left witb these debts. Arround £10,000 on loan and 3,500 credit card.

I am only paying off minimal fees as all i can afford and CAB helped initially to get payment plans in place.

Is there any hope for me?? My mental health and quality of life suffers everyday with this huge burden.

Many thanks
  • StepChange_Private_Messages
    StepChange_Private_Messages Posts: 120 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your message and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing such difficulties these last few years. Relationship breakdowns are never easy and I can imagine being left with debt will have made the situation even harder for you.

I want to reassure you that there is hope and there is always a way to deal with debt, we just need to help find the right solution for you. I would recommend you get in contact with us so that we can provide you with free help and advice which is tailored to your individual circumstances.

If you don’t feel up to speaking to someone over the phone at this point, we also have a Debt Remedy tool where you can enter your details online and you will receive advice in the form of a personal action plan.

I know debt can have a very detrimental effect on your wellbeing and I would strongly encourage you to speak to someone about your mental health. I would suggest speaking to your GP if possible but organisations such as the Samaritans can also be a great source of help and support.

I can see you are new to the forum so I would also recommend having a read through other posts on the debt free wannabe board. There will be other people experiencing similar difficulties and it can be very encouraging to see there is hope out there and you can read about how people do manage to move forward.

All the best and we hope to hear from you soon.

Kirsty

Before my ex left me and two small children he snd the bank persiaded me to consolidate debts into one loan credit cards and over draft of joint accounts). Now i wm left with a ton of debt in my name (he didnt qualify not living in the uk long enough) and he has gone back to australia, this is getting for 5 years ago split and 3 1/2 years hes been back in Australia.

It is a huge stress and worry being left witb these debts. Arround £10,000 on loan and 3,500 credit card.

I am only paying off minimal fees as all i can afford and CAB helped initially to get payment plans in place.

Is there any hope for me?? My mental health and quality of life suffers everyday with this huge burden.

Many thanks
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • Sandytoes123
    Options
    My main question is, am I wholly liable to these debts? Is there anyway to have them reduced for ex partners debts, ie from joint account?
  • StepChange_Rachael
    StepChange_Rachael Posts: 375 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve read through your previous post, in regards to the debt and liability, if the joint debts were consolidated solely in to your name through the loan agreement then you’d now be fully liable for the debt.

The only way another person would share liability is if the consolidation loan was agreed in joint names. In that case your ex-partner would be jointly liable for the debt. A joint debt means that both named people are responsible for the full amount of the debt total.

From your post I can see that you’re going through a very difficult time at the moment. As Kirsty mentioned previously there’s a lot of support available to help you.

I know you’ve mentioned you're currently making reduced payments with the help of CAB but if you’d like to discuss your options further then you can find our contact details here. It's possible there may be other options available to you to deal with the debt.

Take care
    Rachael

My main question is, am I wholly liable to these debts? Is there anyway to have them reduced for ex partners debts, ie from joint account?
  • rabble
    Options
    Hi I am new to this site and not sure if i am posting this in the right place.
    I had a joint mortgage with an ex partner about 9 years ago the property was reposessed as my partner went to prison for physical abuse the the debt has now been sold on and they are chasing me for the full oustanding amount even though it was in Joint names the total is £32,000
  • sarahjon2017
    Options
    Have a 2500 overdraft on my account to cover all my family expenses im 100 of the limit now and the bank is charging me 40 every month for the pleasure of being overdrawn, ive been looking to transfer my overdraft to a credit card but my credit limit cant be as good as i thought as i looked at the virgin credit card but they cant give me one and refered me to capital one would the payments be just a smuch with them though if i transfer my overdraft to it? really confused and need someones help please worried sick all are familys money go in my bank taz credits and child tax credits and my partners income but we can never seem to get out of the red what are we best of doing getting a loan transfering banks we with natwest at mo, or transfering to credit card? we are both working and my partner does not have good credit rating this account isn't a joint account
  • StepChange_Kirsty
    StepChange_Kirsty Posts: 180 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your message and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties you’ve been experiencing. I hope you’re in a much better situation now.

In terms of the debt, even though it is in joint names, legally speaking you are both responsible for the full amount until it is paid by either party. This is called joint and several liability and it’s why you have received a letter for the full balance. The creditor may also be trying to contact your ex-partner for the full balance.

Although the debt is from 9 years ago, because it is a mortgage shortfall the creditor can still take further action against you. As a result we would recommend you seek advice about dealing with the outstanding balance.

We can offer you free and impartial help and advice which will be suited to your individual circumstances. I would recommend you contact us so we can discuss this further and work out the best way forward for you.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Kirsty
    rabble wrote: »
    Hi I am new to this site and not sure if i am posting this in the right place.
    I had a joint mortgage with an ex partner about 9 years ago the property was reposessed as my partner went to prison for physical abuse the the debt has now been sold on and they are chasing me for the full oustanding amount even though it was in Joint names the total is £32,000
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • StepChange_Kirsty
    StepChange_Kirsty Posts: 180 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks for you post.

I can’t advise if the charges on the Capital One credit card would be more or less than those charged on the overdraft. As a general principle we do not recommend taking further credit to pay existing credit as that can often result in a credit spiral and the situation can become much worse. If you’re looking for information on 0% interest cards I would recommend the main MSE site.

I think the important part to work out is why you’re overdrawn. For example, is it due to difficulties with budgeting or is there a difficulty paying the debt? If it is the latter, moving the debt will not help because the debt will still exist and will still need to be repaid.

My best advice is for you to put a budget together with us so we can help you identify what is causing the difficulties and what the best way might be to resolve them. If you use our online Debt Remedy tool, you can enter details of your income, expenditure and any creditors you have including the overdraft. We can then give you advice in the form of a personal action plan. We also have debt advisors available if you get stuck using the tool.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Kirsty

Have a 2500 overdraft on my account to cover all my family expenses im 100 of the limit now and the bank is charging me 40 every month for the pleasure of being overdrawn, ive been looking to transfer my overdraft to a credit card but my credit limit cant be as good as i thought as i looked at the virgin credit card but they cant give me one and refered me to capital one would the payments be just a smuch with them though if i transfer my overdraft to it? really confused and need someones help please worried sick all are familys money go in my bank taz credits and child tax credits and my partners income but we can never seem to get out of the red what are we best of doing getting a loan transfering banks we with natwest at mo, or transfering to credit card? we are both working and my partner does not have good credit rating this account isn't a joint account

• Sidunc
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 22 yr old full time student living in Newcastle, I have recently got myself into a credit card debt of £2000 due to a stupid holiday and can't afford the interest payments. As I'm a student, I have no 'real' income. I now have bad credit due to this debt and I feel as though I'm in a sinking ship. I've tried applying for a 0% interest balance transfer, but sadly, no dice.
    In desperate need of advice!
    Thanks in advance.
    Simon
  • ameluvsmoney
    Options
    Hi, I have searched the web high and low and I can't find the answer to my worries.

Back in 2011 I had a contract with three. The phone couldn't get signal in my property, three tried giving me a booster to plug into the wifi but still that failed. So I tried to cancel my contact as I was only having half a service. But three carried on charging. So I cancelled the DD and wiped it from my brain.

Well because it was coming up to the 6 years of the default being there Lowell solicitors tried getting a ccj. I filled out the forms for the court explaining that I tried to cancel the contract etc. And that there is a default of £93 but Lowell want me to pay £745 and that I would be willing to pay the original default balance but not all the extra charges.

I didn't hear anything for quite a few weeks and now I've just had a letter from Lowell saying that there is a notice of discontinuance.. does this mean that just the ccj has stopped or the debt? As Lowell are still asking for the £745. It's so confusing I don't know what I'm meant to do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

AH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family