Personal info to collectors?

Options
I have a debt with Barclays, from about 4 years ago. I lost my job and ended up in all sorts of debt with several of my credit cards and bank accounts. As I was unemployed I manage to arrange with Barclays that I would only have to pay off this debt at £1 per week on each account, at least until I got back into permanent employment.
Anyway, I went off to volunteer abroad as life was going nowhere fast here in the UK. On my return I found that a company called McKenzie Hall have bought the bet from Barclays and were bugging the family home. I have been emailing them to ask for an account number and sort code so that I can commence paying them the debt, and they are refusing unless I divulge my address. I am between homes and do not want to list my family home which is where the original debt address was, but they know I moved away, but not that I am back, besides I will not be here for long. Why will they not give me an account number and sort code to pay them. II have given them the reference number of the account and so I see no issue. Surely it does not require info on who pays the account off as long as it gets paid.
I have sent emails 4 times and each time they are demanding the family address, or me to confirm that is where I am. Still no sort code or account to continue too pay this debt off.

Please advise.

Comments

• averageish
    Options
    As far as I am aware, unless they are court bailiffs, you are under no obligation to provide them with anything whatsoever.

The will ask for address details to secure the debt to you and your property. I suspect this is to avoid money laundering and also bounced cheques and so on.

I am unsure of the regulations. In this particular case, since you wish to settle promptly, I would contact Citizens Advice and speak to them about you case to see where you stand.
  • thewhiteavenger
    Options
    Took me 5 seconds on google

standing order form with sort code/account no

http://www.mackenziehall.co.uk/online_mandate_form.pdf

You just need your reference number (usually starts with an M) and you can set this up with online banking.

If there was an award for the worst debt collector, MH would probably have won it most years
  • scrubmuncher
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I have written to the them to ask them to confirm that this is their details so I can feel confident. And also that I am writing to be sure that in future if there is a comeback for none payment, that I have these emails as evidence I am making every effort to pay them and they are obsessed with my address rather than my money.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I have written to the them to ask them to confirm that this is their details so I can feel confident. And also that I am writing to be sure that in future if there is a comeback for none payment, that I have these emails as evidence I am making every effort to pay them and they are obsessed with my address rather than my money.

Under the Data Protection Act, they have to ask first if they are at all unsure about your identity, however not all DCA`s are this compliant.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • scrubmuncher
    Options
    OK, I am getting nowhere with these people. I wrote and asked if the account and sort code was theirs so I can begin to pay them, and they replied that until I disclosed my address they would not discuss anything further.
    What exactly does this data protection act say. If it requires them to ask them they have, I have declined. I merely want to make payments on this debt. What is I was a third party wanting to pay this debt for me.

This debt is not being paid right now as I do not know where to pay it. I never thought I would have so much trouble trying to pay off a debt!

thanks.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OK, I am getting nowhere with these people. I wrote and asked if the account and sort code was theirs so I can begin to pay them, and they replied that until I disclosed my address they would not discuss anything further.
    What exactly does this data protection act say. If it requires them to ask them they have, I have declined. I merely want to make payments on this debt. What is I was a third party wanting to pay this debt for me.

This debt is not being paid right now as I do not know where to pay it. I never thought I would have so much trouble trying to pay off a debt!

thanks.

Simply confirm your address, job done, otherwise there can be no other resolution, it will remain at a stalemate.

Unless you just pay using the details you have already been given, they will only have one account for payments, as advised previously.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • scrubmuncher
    Options
    I think that is what I will do. I am also interested to where they would go with this otherwise, they aren't threatening anything, simply 'ok we can not have more contact unless you give your address', and that is it. Does not seem like debt collecting, seems like they are not even bothered.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    You want to make payments. You have a reference number.

Those details given earlier come from their website

http://www.mackenziehall.co.uk/index.php

so they will be correct. You have what you need to make payments.

I don't see the need for you to tell them anything further.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    they will get it as soon as any of your bank accounts update the credit reference anyway
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure