PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

ideas for using a large food process attachment of a hand blender

Options
Hello :)
I have a Braun hand blender, almost identical to this one (except that it's an older model and just 600w)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-Multiquick-MQ-5045-IdentityCollection/dp/B00LPG0MY2/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1466251986&sr=1-2&keywords=braun+aperitive
I've had it for years and use it a lot, however I hardly ever use the large food processor attachment. I find it quicker to chip herbs, garlic etc by hand, and I don't really have time to make sauces etc.
However it's a nice piece of kit and I'd like to put it to good use.
Has anyone else got a similar large (this one is 1.3l) food processor attachment for their hand blender? What do you use it for?
I'd like to use it for things that are nutritious/filling enough to make a meal out of it (e.g. I already make hummus to eat with bread and veg sticks).

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use mine for making hummous .
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make coleslaw in my food processor as it is quicker than hand chopping all the cabbage.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We eat a low carb diet and eat a lot of cauliflower 'rice' which we make in ours.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    I make coleslaw in my food processor as it is quicker than hand chopping all the cabbage.
    I never tried that, I thought you need to use one with a disk rather than just blades.
    Will give it a try. How fine do you chop them?
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I make peanut butter in my food processor. Not sure if a hand blender in a jug would be robust enough to chop the hard nuts. You could try a smaller quantity.

I mostly use my blender for smoothies and soup.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could chop onions/celery/garlic/carrots together, then freeze in small batches as a building block for the bolognese-chilli-casserole-soup type dishes...as recommended on The Quince Tree food blog? This is a great time-saver and makes life easier if you tend to run out of stuff.
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    lots of useful ideas, thank you :)
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got a similar kind of stick blender, mine is Kenwood with a load of attachments.

I whizz up an easy tomato and pepper sauce using roasted tomatoes and peppers, adding oregano, garlic and a splash or mushroom ketchup (Worcestershire sauce if you like, but I'm vegetarian). You could easily do the same with a tin of tomatoes and a jar of roasted peppers (from Lidl or Aldi is cheapest I think). Great for spag bol, meat balls, pizza bases, add chilli for con carne, also good for a soup with some veg stock added.

Also good for whizzing up breadcrumbs.

I rarely use my food processor these days, but it does come in handy for larger amounts and also has the disc attachments, which the Kenwood hand blender does not have.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm guilty of having lots of gadgets ,some of whose functions overlap.

I have a stick blender set, but have only used the blending part.However, I do have a tiny Kenwood processor which is very similar to the add on mentioned here and I have used it to chop a small amount of onion or tomato (including tinned) or to 'mince' beef when beef I have in stock is cubed.

I have also used it to chop pineapple when making a sugar free fruit cake using tinned or fresh fruit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure