Options
13»

Comments

• sara77
    sara77 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

You have no property to protect, and few assets.

With such a shortfall in disposable income, it’s likely a DMP would take a very long time, an IVA would not be possible for the same reason.

What’s stopping you going bankrupt ?
    I work for a government agency so would need to check with HR to make sure it wouldn't be a problem.
  • clairebeth
    clairebeth Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, I have no real knowledge of debt solutions, but I wonder, if you are single and have no dependents, is there anything stopping you getting a second job? You say you take your Nan to appointments etc...perhaps you have the qualities that wild be suitable for being a home help/carer? You could work weekends or overnight. When I was a student I used to do 'sleepovers' which was literally staying overnight in someone's house, maybe help them to the toilet and intro bed and was paid £50 for it,.them got up and went to uni. Just a suggestion. But if you really don't want to go down the other routes, then increasing your income is the only solution. Have a look at Dave Ramsey UK Babysteppers on Facebook or budget_newbie_paying_off_debt amongst others on Instagram for inspiration. All the best!
  • uphillstruggler
    uphillstruggler Posts: 152 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2018 at 3:00PM
    Options
    As others have said, don't be afraid to call StepChange. My biggest regret was trying to keep everything together, get together every penny I could and make repayments when it was not feasible in any way. Had I defaulted on my debts earlier, they would probably already have dropped off my file now. Instead I tried to do the "right" thing by making those repayments, and driving myself into the ground in the process. StepChange were brilliant. I had a self-managed plan where I paid my creditors a token fee per month. Get help now; there is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck and all the best.
    US
    Emergencies account: £500/500
  • NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sarah you must be feeling a lot of strain and worry at the moment, as this is a big debt in comparison to your earnings. Do call StepChange at the very least you will get some emotional support which will help to no end.
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Speak to the loan companies and see if you can come to an arrangement with them. They won't want you to default and not pay them. The bottom line is you can not afford to pay what you don't have. It may take longer to pay but it should be at a more affordable rate. I personally had a loan with first direct reduced from £250 to £75 due to difficulties I was in simply because I spoke to them before I missed payments or defaulted. I paid off the loan in full, actually quicker than I had expected to when the arrangement was first set up. Heck they might even be able to offer you a payment holiday as part of the arrangement which should allow you to tackle a credit card.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,926 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you were lucky, and all your creditors stopped interest and charges, it would take you nearly 9 years @ £300 per month, to repay your current balance.

If you could bring in more money, obviously that term would reduce, if interest wasn’t stopped, then the term would be significantly longer.

Bankrupcy would last one year, be on your file for a further 5 years, and you would have to pay an IPA for 3 years.

That’s your choices.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Er17fidge
    Er17fidge Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was in same situation. Using credit to pay down debts. It got so bad i finally told husband. What a relief. Stepchange have been great. My first payment just been taken. 3 out of 8 creditors already accepted. Its still early days and scary but u have to do something. It cant go on x
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,926 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As others have said, don't be afraid to call StepChange. My biggest regret was trying to keep everything together, get together every penny I could and make repayments when it was not feasible in any way. Had I defaulted on my debts earlier, they would probably already have dropped off my file now. Instead I tried to do the "right" thing by making those repayments, and driving myself into the ground in the process. StepChange were brilliant. I had a self-managed plan where I paid my creditors a token fee per month. Get help now; there is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck and all the best.
    US

Have to agree wholeheartedly with this.

I have read so many posts from people who throw all there money at debts they are never likley to clear using normal repayment methods, going without food, heating, whatever, just in order to pay the creditors.

It’s not nessessary, too many people wait far too long, instead of asking for help sooner, the help is there, all you have to do is ask for it, far better not to wait.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,626 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am afraid that Bankruptcy looks like the best option to me but I am not sure that you will be able to keep the car if it is worth £4k. I am sure there are others who know more but I thought you could keep a car if it was worth £1k or less.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pennystretcher
    Options
    Water rates - are you on a meter? If not, might work out cheaper?
    Electricity and gas - £60 a month is a lot. I have a 3-bed semi and I pay £35pm and that covers up winter months easily enough...dig out those jumpers and turn down heating...
    Satellite/Cable TV - you cannot afford this. If you are not tied into a contract get rid of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure