PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

mars bar cornflake cake help needed!

Options
DH has been away for the weekend with his Boys Brigade company and has returned with nearly a kg of cornflakes which weren't eaten - 'so you can make cornflake cakes'. I had memories of using mars bars ages ago to do this, so have just bought a 4 pack of mars bars and thought I would just google for the recipe - how hard can that be?

Unfortunately much more complicated than it sounds. There are so many variations (with butter/golden syrup/marshmallows etc etc) but the main problem is the size of the mars bars - which are now much smaller, so I can't work out how much of any other ingredient I need pre current size mars bar.

Does anyone have a suitable shrunken size mars bar and cornflake cake recipe they could share? And is it possible to just melt the mars bars and throw in cornflakes until it looks right, or am I setting myself up for a disaster?

Thank you
May spend - £291.40/£320.00
June spend - £106.40/£320.00

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    they are mars bars... is it possible to go wrong?

I know my recipe calls for rice krispies rather than cornies.. and had a tablespoon of golden syrup a cup of marshmallows and a layer of chocolate on the top.. a 1 inch square will add 4 inches to your waist and is best avoided
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just work it out using proportions.

For instance, if the old recipe used a 4 oz bar and the new bar is 3 oz, reduce the other ingredients by the same proportion- in my example, that'd be use 3/4 of what the recipe says of all the other ingredients.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • 2childmum
    2childmum Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    But I can't remember what an old Mars Bar weighed so I can't work out the proportions. The recipes just give a number of mars bars not weight. The new ones are much smaller than the old ones, that's why I'm asking!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmm - I see where you're coming from.

I think my next move would be email Mars and see if they could tell me the weight of the old-style bar. Other than that, I'd be inclined to bung in what looks about right and hope for the best.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 March 2018 at 4:23PM
    Options
    In the 80 they weighed 49 grams. In the 90s it went up to 60 something grams and its currently 51 grams (so one of the few chocolates you can argue have actually increased in size).

As pigpen says. Youll either end up with lightly mars bar flavoured cornflake cakes or full flavored mars bar cornflake cakes.

The gooey stuff is to well make it more gooey, so it oozes apart as opposed to needing a hefty bite to take a chunk. You can normally tell when you try and cut it up, no gooey stuff, youll need a lot of force and it will suddenly crack/split. Plenty of gooey stuff and its more like a knife through cornflakey butter if that makes sense.

ETA, using golden syrup and or melting marshmallows is guaranteed to end up in a cleaning up disaster.
  • WorldTraveller_2
    Options
    I don't measure out for recipes like this as I make up variations as I go along. Just melt the Mars bars, with some butter and golden syrup as well although it's probably fine without. Then add cornflakes gradually until it looks thick enough. Once it's put in the fridge for a while to set it will be lovely. My mum used to make a version with rice krispies and glace cherries which was lovely.
  • 2childmum
    2childmum Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Well I chucked in butter and mars bars and melted them and the result is very tasty but chewy - quite hard on the jaw! I think I will stick with a butter/goldensyrup/cocoa powder recipe in future - I think it will probably work our cheaper too, as this only made 9!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family