My ultimate guide to boost my income. What works, what doesn't

Options
Hi,
I live in London, and let me tell you something: it's INCREDIBLY expensive here! I guess it's the same for people who live in cities such as NYC, Paris or Tokyo. I work in advertising and make a decent income, and yet it's sometimes hard for me to pay the bills. So I had to think very hard to find new ways to make money.

It worked. But I also realised that lots of tips you find online to earn a side income are complete non-sense. I'm a bit mad at these marketing gurus who sell "Get rich quick" type courses that just don't work.

Here is what has worked for me so far, and what hasn't:

-Blogging and affiliation.
Definitely a great source of income if you know what you're doing, and in certain niches only. I'm a mum and write about travelling with kids, and this type of blog is a great way to earn a side income because you can contact big brands, let them publish sponsored posts on your website, become an affiliate, review their stuff for a fee etc.

-Renting your flat or parking space.
Renting your flat on Airbnb or your driveway/garage on YourParkingSpace is a very convenient way to earn a side income, especially if you live in a very popular, touristic city such as London or Brighton. These websites take care of everything for you, you just need to list your space for rent, and you earn money straight away. I think it's the easiest way to boost your income if you own something. Some people even rent their tools, garden or swimming pool!

-Self-publishing.
Another great way to boost your income, but of course, you must be a decent writer, and design (or get someone to design) beautiful Ebook covers to increase your sales. If you're an artistic person with lots of imagination, self-publishing books on the KDP Select platform is the best way to make money. The more you write and publish ebooks, the more sales you'll make.

-Etsy.
If you like sewing, painting, designing jewels etc, Etsy is another nice way to earn money. You need to be good with your hands, but the rewards can be incredible. I create jewels with sea shells myself, and they sell very well. But you have to market your creations on Facebook and twitter to make sales.

Now, what hasn't worked for me so far to boost my income...

-Merch by Amazon.
It's a service that helps you design t-shirts to sell them on Amazon. For the time being, I've had zero sales. Maybe my designs aren't good enough...

-Working as a freelancer.
I tried to work as a freelance translator on websites such as Upwork, but the businesses that contacted me were willing to pay me peanuts for the amount of work I had to accomplish. Maybe it's different for graphic/web designers or coders? I'm not sure, because I feel like there's more and more competition, and wages are decreasing at the same time.

Does anybody know other great ways to boost your income that I haven't covered, and that worked for you? :beer:

Comments

• BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2017 at 3:03PM
    Options
    Ok so I can not decided are you genuinely trying to help people or are you trying to get links into MSE for these sites. Sorry but have to ask are you honestly trying to help because that is good. Or SEO???
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BJV wrote: »
    Ok so I can not decided are you genuinely trying to help people or are you trying to get links into MSE for these sites. Sorry but have to ask are you honestly trying to help because that is good. Or SEO???

Tadge cynical!

I think shes trying to give a decent account of things that have worked for her. I'd agree with some for the most part. But things like Etsy arent much good for me sadly. I need to get my behind in gear with my website too, been ages since I updated it.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Emma851
    Emma851 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi! I know these ways to earn money have been covered in articles before, but I wanted to share my own, personal experience. I thought it would be interesting to talk about what each of us have tried so far, and what was successful because it's definitely NOT easy to boost your income online, although some people would want you to believe that.
    p.s: @BJV not trying to plug all these companies on your forum, don't worry. I wish I was working for all these big businesses though:)
  • Emma851
    Options
    Hi Mikep22 ,that's exactly what I meant! Merch isn't working for me, but Etsy helps me make money. I think it might depend on what people are good at doing. May I ask you what you tried to sell there?
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Emma851 wrote: »
    Hi Mikep22 ,that's exactly what I meant! Merch isn't working for me, but Etsy helps me make money. I think it might depend on what people are good at doing. May I ask you what you tried to sell there?

I dont really sell to be honest as I have a full time job and organising packaging and postage is very time consuming.

I find matched betting is by far the most profitable thing for earning from home, but I so also do a fair amount of surveys which all add up.

I do have a website of my own I intend to use for affliate (its about teaching) but I havent posted anything for some time now...moving house and job takes it toll!!
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • Emma851
    Options
    Yes, I feel like I never have time to take care of all these things either... By the way, I had never heard of matched betting before! I'll check this out.
  • Emmaaar22
    Emmaaar22 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a blog of my own and was looking to boost my income through that way, however was having a few doubts. I tried Google Adsense at first but got declined. My blog is somewhat different to most blogs you see out there. It`s more of a lifestyle/fashion blog. Over 36,000 followers, steady traffic so it`s not a dead blog. I was wondering what do you say to these companies in regard to sponsoring your blog?
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
  • Emma851
    Options
    Hi Emmaaar22. I like to write about travel, so I tell these companies they can publish a guest post on my blog that directs users to their website if they pay me a fee to do that. If you have decent traffic (and you do, congrats!), businesses will be interested. I also advertise things for them on my blog like travel insurance, for instance. Overtime someone buys their insurance via my website, I earn money.

I think it's hard to make money with Adsense because you need a huge amount of traffic, and more and more people use ad-blockers nowadays.
  • leslieknope
    Options
    i want to start blogging but i worry that nobody will care as there are so many out there, and i'm not blogging about anything out of the ordinary. but it would be an ideal second income. any tips for a blogging beginner?
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family