Thursday 20th August - what small DFW things will you be doing today

Options
carrielovesfanta
carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 21 August 2014 at 10:01AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym .

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending .

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
Total repaid: £10,490.31
Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
SAVINGS: £20,000
Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113

Comments

• carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 August 2014 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Morning folks, I thought I'd have a slightly lazy morning - will have to get myself in gear soon though cos I need to get to work!

Today's list:

• Check online banking - the usual
    • Charge phone in work - charging
    • Overtime
    • B/L/D from stores - lunch almost a disaster. Brought a in of beans in and office tin opener has vanished! Colleague to the rescue with swiss army knife
    • Trip to Asda to get provisions for parental visit (commences tomorrow). Dad cannot live without biscuits, will need more milk and both mum and dad need (expensive) yoghurt. - OH has offered to take me tomorrow instead
    • Make ratatouille and put into slow cooker before bed
    • Enjoy my £50 Amazon voucher I won at work :D I have already ordered my first treat - some navy blue dye to spruce up my shabby towels :o
    • Check Kenco website for free coffee. - nope!
    Unlikely to get much done at home as will likely be in very late d/t excessive overtime as have tomorrow (and Monday) off work.

Have a good Thursday all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 August 2014 at 8:01AM
    Options
    Morning DFW-Jedis,

Thanks for the starter CLF.

Well, life goes on and so does the almost everlasting quest for solvency and sanity. I've got the heating on for half an hour. It's freezing!

The List

:starmod: Check online banking. Done.

:starmod: Do Nectar AdPoints. We should have enough money for a £2.50 spend in our local Sainsbury's. We buy all our milk with AdPoints.

:starmod: Do i-Say surveys. I only need 4 more points for a voucher. Hope they send me a survey today.

:starmod: Go food shopping with OH and stick to the list.

:starmod: Still haven't worked out what to do with my £9.32 eBay profit or £5 LoveToShop voucher. Don't want to squander it. Plus we should get £10 voucher from i-Say soon. Might put it all together for a large purchase or free treat.

:starmod: Plan rest of week. Still contemplating one night away in a SYHA hostel.

Well that's me for today. Good luck on your quests, Jedis.

Offers:

:starmod: 15% off Homebase this weekend. (Link)

:starmod: 20 page photobook for £3.99. (Link)

:starmod: Get paid £2 to watch Hull AFC tonight. (Link)

:starmod: Millie's cookies coupons eg Buy2Get2. Just click and print: (Link)

:starmod: Burger King print your own coupons. (Link)

Freebies:

:starmod: Free Almond Breeze Iced Coffee from Tesco. Print your own coupon. See page 35. (Link)

:starmod: Free unlock code to make your Three network phone work on other networks. Code is provided via a form on the Three website. (Link)

:starmod: Free 450g bag of Royal Canin dog food. (Link)

MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM:

• A Girl Called Jack, cheap recipes ( Link )
    • Benefits check-up ( Link )
    • Birthday Bingo, daily free game ( Link )
    • eBid ( Link )
    • Freecycle ( Link )
    • Free Postcode Lottery (Link)
    • FreeStuff ( Link )
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link )
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. ( Link )
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. ( Link )
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained ( Link )
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers ( Link )
    • MSE Wow Offers ( Link )
    • My Supermarket ( Link )
    • Nectar Points, AdPoints, Search Toolbar ( Link )
    • OnePoll ( Link )
    • Quidco ( Link )
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself ( Link )
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder ( Link )
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions ( Link )
    • Swagbucks ( Link )
    • Swapit ( Link )
    • Tesco Clubcard Free Movies and TV Shows Online ( Link )
    • Toluna ( Link )
    • TopCashBack ( Link )
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Campers,
    Today's bits of frugal effort:
    *Saved energy by sharing bath tub.
    *Picked tomatoes & mint.
    *Started making apple & mint jelly using a bucket of our windfalls. Currently hanging up dripping through jellybag.
    *Sliced courgettes & onions for courgette pickle. Currently brining. Will do the pickling bit this afternoon. That took care of 1.5 lbs of courgettes. More coming. Ratatouille next time.
    *Meals as per meal plans - home made aubergine curry which I made & froze when we had a few aubergines ready all at once. May wok a bit of spicy veg to go with it depending on what needs using up in fridge.
    *Find some socks!! In August!! Not really a chilly mortal but just cant get my feet warm today. It's gone really dark here in the last 5 mins, think something weather-like is on its way. Cat has also just run in.....he's usually a pretty good barometer!
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Froze half the bread rolls baked yesterday.
    *Update budgets.
    *Clear a few surveys. Toluna points adding up nicely again.
    *Free fitness. Do exercise DVD after lunch. Last chance work-out for me as it's weigh-day tomorrow. Hoping all the jumping about will warm my feet up!
    That's it so far......doubtless there will be other things, as the day progresses, or maybe not, depends how I get on.
    Hope someone somewhere is seeing some sunshine today.
    f x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Sunshine22_2
    Sunshine22_2 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 21 August 2014 at 2:38PM
    Options
    Morning all!

Little DFW tasks for today, it's my day off so I need to get my bottom in gear and get productive!!

[STRIKE]*Grocery shop from meal plans and stick to budget[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]*Fuel car & under budget! [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]*Check Bank[/STRIKE]
    *[STRIKE]Sort car insurance[/STRIKE] - done and current company undercut best quote :T
    *[STRIKE] Book MOT[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]Update budget [/STRIKE] pray it'll make it to the end of the month :rotfl:
    * Update diary and plan upcoming week to do's
    * Laundry and ?on line - not sure what the big grey cloud over my house is up to!
    * Clean upstairs of house and hoover.... :(

That should keep me out of trouble for the day!
    S x
    I have enough money for the rest of my life... as long as I never have to pay for anything again!

Debt at LBM (2011) £7750. DFD 01/01/2013
  • solvencyseeker
    Options
    Hello all

Exam results time at school (work) so very hectic and didn't manage to post yesterday :(

Still keeping the DFW faith though :)

Today I have run out of my shampoo so used the budget medicated shampoo I bought for the menfolk. I have also run out of deodorant, moisturiser (have alternatives/spares for these) and am on the last half a toilet roll (have put kitchen roll in the bathroom in case....). Roll on OH's payday (tomorrow)!

Breakfast at home, packed lunch, tea will be jacket spuds or something out of the freezer.

Have updated my signature.

Quite sunny here (but much colder than usual) so have asked son to hang out laundry. Am wearing a vest and shoes (no socks yet). Some of the radiators are on at work but there's no way I'm putting on the heating at home until October at the very least.

Need to crack on. Best wishes all x
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 August 2014 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Brrr it is freezing here too. I looked at the thermometer outside the back door this morning when I got up and it was around 5 degrees :eek: Where has the summer gone? It is only August :(

OH and I are getting ready for a family camping weekend, so lots of warm clothes needed :eek:

Shopping done, really only bits to take with us.

Still have to make a cake.

I have been dealing with fruit, veg etc which won't keep till we get back. Runner beans cut up and frozen, likewise apples from the fruit bowl. One bowl of tomatoes has been converted to passata and frozen.

Dinner tonight will be finishing off the lasagne from last night, and whatever salads / veg are lurking in the fridge.

Other than that, I will need to water everything growing in pots thoroughly before we go. Even though it is raining, it isn't enough to penetrate the soil in large pots.

Also top up the chickens' food and water and double check that DD2, who is not joining us due to small baby and having just finished maternity leave, will remember come in and see to them while we are away. At a pinch they would be ok till we get back (probably Sunday) as they have a large covered feed container and plenty of water, but any animal needs to be checked at least once a day.

Right, off to get on with the packing. Hope everyone has a great weekend :D
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Surveys
    4. Update snowball
    5. Meals from stores
    6. Transfer money from savings account into current account to cover car insurance (budget knocked a bit as car cost £240 to repair and I only had £200)
    7. Read free kindle book
    8. Read through Martin's email
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I've used this site for years but never really posted. Am currently pregnant with my second child, due end of December, so will try to post on here each day in an attempt to focus and get things in order for new arrival. Today I have...

Paid in a cheque for £213 from Barclays - refund out of the blue for wrongly paid interest :)

Collected free Bounty pack with baby bits and pieces from Boots.

Went to Aldi for pesto, peas and cereal.

Collected lovely Moses basket and stand bought for £20 on Facebook buy sell or swap page.

Did work accounts and diary planning, worked out 'maternity leave' for when baby's due (am self employed). Should be able to make ends meet and continue paying off debts throughout. Aiming to clear over £10,000 in the next six months by working hard.

Made a pancetta and potato bake with pancetta that was hoping out of date and ingredients in fridge. Hope my son likes it!

Got a load of plums from my MIL. Not sure what to do with these, suggestions welcome :)

Thank you!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 August 2014 at 6:18PM
    Options
    Plums, hmmm....

Well, pies and crumbles are nice, jam or chutney if you are that way inclined, or simply stew them slowly with some sugar (best in the oven) to go with breakfast yogurt or porridge, or with custard for pud.

You can also use them in cakes (google Nigel Slater's plum cake, seriously yum).

You can make wine with them, if you like this kind of thing (either decent bought wine or nothing for me I am afraid :o but lots of people do like it)

Or you could just eat them?

If you want to freeze some of them for later, it is best to halve them and take out the stones, then just pack into bags.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ah thanks so much dawn w, really appreciate that. Going to google recipes tonight and have a productive morning tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure