PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Steam Press or Steam Generator Iron

Options
Hi

I've been using steam generator irons for years but my latest one which I've had for about 7 years isnt cutting the mustard anymore and needs replacing,

I've started looking at the steam pressess and am interested in feedback from people who can compare them against the steam genorator iron (not an ordinary steam iron).

One of my hates with ironing, even with the steam genorator irons is sheets and duvet covers etc. Grateful for feedback please.

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One of my hates with ironing, even with the steam genorator irons is sheets and duvet covers etc. Grateful for feedback please.
    You want to iron sheets and duvet covers? Why???

I have a steam generator iron but I don't regard it as a day-long hobby; I just iron what actually needs to be ironed and get on with my life.
  • usernameisvalid
    Options
    Ive a press and although I do use it,mi find the steam generating iron is more flexible

The press is great for my king size bedding, towels etc. I can do shirts and t-shirts but it's a bit of a flaff and I've the burns to prove it
  • Terrysdelight
    Terrysdelight Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    You want to iron sheets and duvet covers? Why???

Because ironed sheets look and feel nice!
  • Terrysdelight
    Terrysdelight Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive a press and although I do use it,mi find the steam generating iron is more flexible

The press is great for my king size bedding, towels etc. I can do shirts and t-shirts but it's a bit of a flaff and I've the burns to prove it

Thanks. I'm going to stick with the generator. Appreciate your views.
  • raino144
    raino144 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Have you descaled the steam generator iron?

I live in a (very) hard water area and see a drop off in performance every 6 weeks or so.

Run a couple of tanks through with descaler / vinegar (keep it away from clothes until a couple of tanks of clean water have been through) and you should see a big pickup in performance.

Is there a drain valve in the bottom? May also be bunged up with "stuff"!

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport