Aren't Bicycles Great.

Options

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The constant rain this week is really annoying on the commute, having to try and dry off the bike at home before storage etc. Roll on some dry weeks
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    (and Emilia Fox on Silent Witness).
    That's a serious distraction.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    I've been a cyclist for approaching twenty five years and I love it. I used to race mountain bikes when I was in my mid teens.

I currently have three bikes, a road bike that I've just been out on for a quick 18 mile on Warwickshire's finest country lanes and two mountain bikes. One big travel and the other a carbon XC bike

I've ridden the London - Brighton three times for the BHF along with 25,000+ other riders which was amazing and been all over England, Wales, Scotland and went to The Alps downhilling in 2013.

One of the lads at work has just bought an electric bike. He's not a cyclist and cycles fourteen miles a day come rain or shine. He let me have a go and WOW, how cool are they! It will top out at 25mph. I've thought about one for my wife but I doubt we'll get one, I would'nt be able to keep up lol
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It was really still and bright here last night so decided to head out on the road bike, I had a good tail wind so was dreading the return trip but just as easy on the way back. Well except from the cold which was particularly chilly when pushing into it at speed :)

DSC_6200-L.jpg

DSC_6193-L.jpg

DSC_6214-L.jpg
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    Nice pictures John. :beer:
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    This topic was way too far down! The conditions have been superb here recently with bone dry trails that are riding really well with tons of grip. I didn't initially like my 29+ hardtail (sort of halfway between a normal bike and a fat bike) as it didn't have the float of the fat bike and just felt like a normal 29er. However fitting a dropper post has made a big difference and I've really got the feel of the bike taking advantage of the crazy grip and the agility. I've almost never had a top ten strava but this year I had one ride where I had five top ten finishes setting PR's that have beaten my full suspension and fat bikes.

Riding out to Loch Ness:

DSC06162-XL.jpg

Visiting a nearby trail centre, kept going round until my legs were killing me and it was getting too dark:

DSC06210-XL.jpg

DSC06213-L.jpg

I went looking for some new riding and headed to a trail centre further north which is a massive straight climb and then pretty much straight down. The top section is a proper black and very rocky which I wasn't too keen on but the lower red section is a lot of fun, very fast and nothing too bad to slow down for:

DSC06255-XL.jpg

My mum has also been getting on well with her ebike and quickly got into using it regularly, there was a tea room I wanted to cycle out to but it would be really pushing the limits of the battery and probably a bit long for my Mum. I then had the blatantly obvious idea to chuck the bikes in the car, get a bit closer and head off from there which was still a good ride and as always, great for my hill climb times with a PR on each uphill section trying to keep up with the ebike:

DSC06218-XL.jpg
  • Patrick_Stewart
    Options
    Nice, is that an electric bike in the foreground of that last photo?

Electric bikes are a great affordable option now, making commuting even more possible since you can travel further before running out of puff! I think most allow you to pedal, and assist with electric power to make it easier up hills etc.
  • Johnmcl7
    edited 14 June 2017 at 1:32PM
    Options
    Nice, is that an electric bike in the foreground of that last photo?

Electric bikes are a great affordable option now, making commuting even more possible since you can travel further before running out of puff! I think most allow you to pedal, and assist with electric power to make it easier up hills etc.

Yep, that's my Mum's ebike which she's very pleased with. I think there are some models that work without pedalling but they're moving away from this, her bike only gives you power when pedalling so it feels like a normal bike it's just hills and headwinds are no harder. The power is adjustable between high, medium and low plus you can switch off the assist entirely so she can work on improving her fitness gradually.

It's also better for me when I go out cycling with her as it's a much higher pace, 15mph really doesn't sound like much but it's quick when storming up hills or pushing into headwinds so it gives me a good ride too.

I haven't been out for a proper run on the road bike for a while so decided to head out at the weekend but within a mile it started pouring so I decided to give up and head back home. A short while later it cleared up so thought I'd risk it which unsurprisingly wasn't a good idea as when I was good bit into the countryside it started pouring. By the time I reached a junction I could turn back I decided just to carry on with the rest of the cycle as I was soaked anyway and the route back looked pretty wet. One of those rides that's hard to explain to non-cyclists but it's such a lovely feeling on a road bike gliding along the road through quiet and picturesque back roads I didn't mind the rain too much. The hydraulic discs are superb as it's the sort of conditions I was always wary with when riding the rim brakes.

John
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 1:44AM
    Options
    Just returned from a family holiday in Pollensa, Majorca. I hired a bike for 5 days but because it was a family break, I only ventured out in the mornings when the family was getting uo. Still managed Formentor and Sa Calobra. What a beautiful island for cycling and touring. We'll have to get back to do more.
    35357318525_6d2d12577b_b.jpg

dateposted-public
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Quick video of my descent to Sa Calobra, a memorable descent of 2,200 feet in about 15 minutes. The climb back up took 35 minutes, which I'm quite pleased with. Every cyclist should give this a go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YA7WtqyZzY
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure