PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Uses for Greek yoghurt...

Options
I have a couple of large tubs of natural Greek yoghurt lingering in the fridge. What can I use it for other than eating it with fruit for breakfast!:)
Any yummy suggestions!!

Thanks!

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I use it in place of cream for things like curries. You can also use it to make a pizza base.
  • Catmom
    Catmom Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh Ive got one for you! Mix 150g with 2 beaten eggs and a couple of oz strong cheddar, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Make a basic mince sauce (bolognese, cottage pie type of thing). top that with thinly sliced potatoes, top with the yogurt mixture and bake uncovered at 180 degrees for about 40 mins. Its absolutely delicious, originally a weight-watchers recipe, and its one of my families favourite "go to" meals. Give it a go, you wont be disappointed.
    Don't put it DOWN, put it AWAY! ;)
    You can't expect to Fly if you're still wearing your pyjamas! :j:j:j
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Similar to Catmom: mix with eggs and a little nutmeg to make a delicious lasagne sauce - no cheese needed.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Strain it down still further overnight (save the whey to make fermented lemonade or something similar - there are lots of uses for whey) then mix the solids with mascarpone cheese& leave to set to make a no-cook cheesecake. Delicious with a digestive biscuit/butter base & any softish, tartish fruit you happen to have - raspberries, satsumas, kiwis, blueberries for topping.
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I use it in place of cream for things like curries. .

You can also use it to make naan bread to go with the curry.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Use it instead of milk or cream when making quiche.
  • Waffle_On
    Waffle_On Posts: 408 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As above posters say, use instead of cream or milk - a word of warning though! If it's low fat or fat free, be careful about heating it as it curdles easily. Full fat is pretty bomb-proof though.
    Shrinking my mortgage!
    Nov 13 £166,000

Jan 17 £142,900
  • Jellybro
    Jellybro Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thankyou for all the ideas.
    Catmom..... I'll give that a try... Sounds like just the thing the family would go for!
    The cheesecake sounds delish too. Do you need to add sugar to it?
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Chill it...then strain it (save the whey you drain off...it is rich in protein....you can drink it...or use it in baking)....if you strain it a few times, you will be left with a thick creamy almost-Philly-style cheese...you can add herbs to it if you like.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 January 2015 at 1:18PM
    Options
    Something I use natural yogurt for....

I have a little battery-operated ice cream maker, which makes 750 ml at a time (ideal for us, as there's only DH and me).

Recipe as follows:

1 large tub natural yogurt
    Zest and juice of 2 large lemons
    A very large dollop of honey (I get mine from the local farmers market)

Mix the above together, bung in the ice-cream maker, bung it in the freezer and press the button.
    When it stops churning (you can hear it), decant the resulting "ice cream" to a plastic tub and store in the freezer til you want to eat it. Lovely on it's own, or as a topping for a fruity dessert.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure