Options
13»

Comments

• OCS_Fan
    OCS_Fan Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lynnrc wrote: »
    I have been using Group-On and KGB vouchers - I have been some very up market hairdressing saloons in London and had my hair cut and coloured, or highlighted for as little as £24. Not had a bad experience so far.

I did this for the first time today - I'm in the Midlands near Birmingham. It was a local salon that I'd always thought about trying. £12 for a cut and blow dry with a conditioning treatment. I also had a very nice complimentary coffee, heat defence spray and shine spay. She was a junior/ trainee stylist but all was good :T
  • door
    door Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I use my local collage for my Hair & Nail treatments. Of course they only open during schooling hours & during term time only, but because the students are not proper qualified I save a lot of money. All students get supervised & if the cut is to difficult, the teacher steps in & uses you as a "model". I have never walked out of there unhappy, paying around £10. I had a luxury nail treatment last week for £10 & the girl needed to be assessed on her nail art, so I had the option in having that done for free !!! I was delighted!!! They also do promotions, THE ONLY THING YOU NEED IS TIME !!! The student are slower, but who cares if you got that planned.
  • Denando
    Denando Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I googled Creaclip but couldn't find anywhere to buy one without international shipping - but it gave me an idea ... and I've just trimmed my fringe very successfully and straight (for once) using an IKEA bag clip! Now wondering if I dare try the rest of the mane in the same way.
  • ShirePiskie
    ShirePiskie Posts: 380 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I shaved my head three months ago!

Raised £350 for charity and haven't spent a penny in hair products/ cuts since. :)
    Debt 2008 - Approx £20k | April 2014 £6526 | 30 October 2015 DEBT FREE
    PPI claim success - £4338 & £764
    YNAB Convert
    Saving Goals - YNAB Buffer: £100/£850 | Emergency Fund: £0/£1000 | Maldives: £0/£10,000
  • lifelong
    Options
    As a fella with plenty of hair, I had my usual 6-weekly haircut yesterday in about 7 minutes - no appointment and no queuing - at a town centre busy 4-chair barber. . £4.50 included a tip. If you prefer an expensive chatty half-hour, or if you don't live in a small happy Yorkshire town, then I'm sad for you !
  • landsberger64
    landsberger64 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kayannie wrote: »
    I have just had a very satisfactory trim for £5 in my local barber's shop, and I don't have a 'short back and sides! A friend recommended them to me, and a lovely lady trimmed my hair just as I wanted it. I even paid £3 less than a man would have done!

My partner had a "hairdressing disaster" at a local coiffeuse, who then refused to do anything about it. In desperation, she asked me what to do - I sent her down to Ahmed, who does my hair in Stevenage Indoor Market, and he did her hair exactly as she wanted it - she couldn't believe it.

Not only that, he refused payment for this, saying "if you like it, you'll come back and use me in the future". And so she has - bye bye expensive hair salon in Great Ashby....
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wish I lived near Stevenage, now that's what I call good old fashioned service - I hope he gets plenty of business from word of mouth praise.Nice one.
    xx
  • Kitcatpuss
    Options
    All brilliant tips, just adding one more....

Pound shops sell dyes, albeit in a very basic range of colours. Sometimes you get known brands with good bottles, gloves etc. If you get an unknown brand sometimes the plastic bottle is a bit fiddly. Use a washed out ready meal container or Tupperware to mix the dye, buy latex reusable gloves and many chemists sell hairdressers mixing brushes.

Ok slightly more than £1 in total, but still waaaay cheaper than the salon and practice makes perfect as in no blobs of dye on clothing! Vaseline makes good barrier cream and cheap hairspray takes off stains quite well.

I still go to the salon for a few hair extensions sometimes but do my own colour so that I can afford them!
  • landsberger64
    Options
    I wish I lived near Stevenage, now that's what I call good old fashioned service - I hope he gets plenty of business from word of mouth praise.Nice one.
    xx

She's been back 5 or 6 times since, so he's easily earned the money 'wasted' back and then some.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure