Requesting Deeds

The Woolwich are currently holders of the deeds to my parents house.

I would like to request the deeds for them in formal writing but I have no idea how to write it. Does anybody know of a template or website to use as a basis for my parents request?

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Set out in letter format as below.

Dear Sirs

Re: (Property address)

We hereby request you to release to us the deeds to the above property.

We enclose the fee requested for this of .........

Signed ............................. ..............................
    Mum Dad

If they are holding them as a condition of the mortgage, then they may not release them although most mortgagees are not taking the actual deeds as security these days.

There will be a fee payable for release and it is essential that both your parents sign the letter. I would suggest that you telephone first and find out the deeds release fee so it can be enclosed with the letter.
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry bluelou but the Woolwich are a nightmare for getting deeds, it took me well over 3 months to get mine and I had to make numerous phonecalls and send letters to get them that quick.

My advice is to ring them first, organise payment of the release fee (mine was £295) they will not accept cheques btw it has to be done via a bank transfer, and then keep pestering them daily if your in a hurry for them.
  • Blue_Lou
    Blue_Lou Posts: 165 Forumite
    Stepdads solicitor tried last year and I think he just lost interest as they never responded to him.
  • Blue_Lou
    Blue_Lou Posts: 165 Forumite
    I recently emailed a request to customercare@woolwich.co.uk and three days later the deeds appeared in the post (had to be signed for).
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If the property has been registered at the Land Registry, you can get them instantly online for £2
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • I've just looked at that site but it looks like £2 to register on the site, for various services, not £2 to download the deeds? It is to download a title register for a specific property. It shows you a sample. This doesn't sound the same thing as the deeds. I'm confused.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've just looked at that site but it looks like £2 to register on the site, for various services, not £2 to download the deeds? It is to download a title register for a specific property. It shows you a sample. This doesn't sound the same thing as the deeds. I'm confused.

I don't think you need to register at all. You can simply type in a postcode and the house number/name and then click on search from the home page.

This will then return the documents held at the Land Registry and the price of getting each document (usually £2 each). You then tick on the ones you want .... pay online ... and you're provided with pdf files for the documents you selected.

The Title register is, effectively, the deeds. It may not be a word-for-word copy of everything that's in the deeds, but it contains the most critical parts e.g. details of boundaries (but only if these are stated in the deeds), covenants, easments etc.

The other common document is the title plan, which marks out the area of the land, in relation to the neighbourhood.

The information held at the Land Registry is extracted by them when the deeds are first submitted for inclusion in the Register.

Within the next few years, all property deeds will be transferred to the Land Registry and paper deeds will be obsolete, save for their historical interest.

Regards
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    This is only england though - is scotland similar?
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The website for the Registers of Scotland is here
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    yes all registered electronically with land registry - but those paper deeds of your house and the people that lives there is quite good to read (& how little the cost of the house was all those years ago)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure