WASPI Campaign .... State Pensions

Options

Comments

• saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Because you're posting on a public forum. I'm a member of the public, I read this forum, I wanted to say something, and that is my right.

Same for everyone .... ain't it?

Well no, I don't find your remarks funny. Sorry about that.

I was going to tell a joke ..... hmm ... maybe I won't bother!!
  • saver861
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »

The real problem is that the increase in state pension age should have started much earlier, but we are where we are.

Whenever it started it should have been smoothed out fair like. It has not for a certain group of 50's women.
    You may have paid NI and tax for many years, as have the majority of the population, but Thais contributions have gone to pay pensions and other benefits to previous generations.

If this model is not sustainable then it will need to be changed.
    With increasing life expectancy, then costs are spiralling, and these costs will be paid for by the smaller cohort of future generations as the number of elderly continues to increase.

Personally I don't buy this argument - its convenient. While the NI system stays as it is then yes of course the working young will pay the pensions of the retired.

The system has to be effective and changes will be required as life expectancy increases - though that is not to say it always will increase.

If the older folk are so worried about the younger generation, then they did not show it in the Brexit referendum where it was deemed that the young wanted to Remain for their better prospects, and voted to do so!
  • Seabee42
    Seabee42 Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    Actually the vast majority of the young did not vote. Intergenerational unfairness is a big deal but as politicians love spending more than the public will stomach paying as taxes it is very unlikely to ever go away.

There are very many aspects of pensions that are not fair just like life, and not surprising people just want more for them. The time of plenty if it ever existed is long since gone the debt higher than ever and the chances of a reduction in state pension age laughable (even for a few).
  • saver861
    Options
    Seabee42 wrote: »
    Actually the vast majority of the young did not vote.

That tends to be the norm though I think more young voted in this than any other election. The point being made though is that the older generation call the sympathy card at certain junctures and not others - thus it does not wear.
    Intergenerational unfairness is a big deal

But how do you define Intergenerational unfairness? Compare the younger generation of today v the younger generation of my youth v the younger generation of my parents youth, grandparents etc. Who comes out best.

The cry of the younger today today is that they can't buy a house ... the cry of they younger in my generation was that they can't get a job ... many that had a house lost considerably due to negative equity etc.

Are youth better with a spoon that has more silver or with no spoon. Many of the wealthy struggle to know whether it is best to leave their kids the lot or nothing. Which is best for the kids?
    There are very many aspects of pensions that are not fair

So too you might say for all aspects of the taxation, NI, Benefits system etc. People have different views on fairness.

However, this is predominantly about policy change. The change is deemed correct - the notice period is deemed not so.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    What do you believe the WASPI ask is now? Is it that "63 is the new 60" proposal that a (non-WASPI?) woman has presented to the APPG? Have the WASPI leaders now settled their public spat over their 'ask'?

Why do you reckon WASPI have not withdrawn their 'ask' presented to the WPSC?

Sorry Colsten - I am not a representative of Waspi and cannot answer on their behalf.

I realise some here hope they have a 'captive' 'Waspi' they can bully into revealing something of interest but it's not going to be me. ;)

Do enjoy arguing amongst yourselves. Us 1950's women have work to do.... :)

Great, thanks for confirming that there is no substance to any claim that people are circulating misinformation when they refer to the published WASPI 'ask'.
    I don't believe that this is now their 'ask' but still the misinformation circulates. And I have to question why?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    saver861 wrote: »
    Whenever it started it should have been smoothed out fair like. It has not for a certain group of 50's women.

If this model is not sustainable then it will need to be changed.

Personally I don't buy this argument - its convenient. While the NI system stays as it is then yes of course the working young will pay the pensions of the retired.

The system has to be effective and changes will be required as life expectancy increases - though that is not to say it always will increase.

If the older folk are so worried about the younger generation, then they did not show it in the Brexit referendum where it was deemed that the young wanted to Remain for their better prospects, and voted to do so!

I don't understand your comments above, just seems like rambling.

Waht is the alternative to the current broken model, if you don't have a solution then it's just moaning.

Waht does your last paragraph mean? It appears absolutely nothing of any sense

Who has raised concerns about older people worrying about younger people, the tenet of this thread and waspi argument is that they should get their money no matter what, which means younger people will almost certainly pay for it. Brexit voting has no direct impact does it?
  • saver861
    Options
    I don't understand your comments above, just seems like rambling.

Not an intended ramble ... but make your own choice!
    Waht is the alternative to the current broken model, if you don't have a solution then it's just moaning.

Ok ... so I'm going from rambling to moaning!! hmmmm

I'm not saying the current system is broken - that was not my point. However, in response to your comments I was saying that if the case exists that the older continue to live longer and there are less younger workers sustaining their pension needs, then the current model will not be sufficient and it will need altering/changing.

That is not a moan - just a statement of fact, but feel free to absorb as you wish.
    Waht does your last paragraph mean? It appears absolutely nothing of any sense

Oh dear, I'm not having much luck with this post am I ..... :D
    Who has raised concerns about older people worrying about younger people,

Much of the issues raised regarding pension is indeed about the younger workers paying the NI's to pay the pensions!! Regular quotes are about 'not burdening the young'.
    the tenet of this thread and waspi argument is that they should get their money no matter what, which means younger people will almost certainly pay for it.

As above, the younger workers will pay for whatever the system is.
    Brexit voting has no direct impact does it?

Not direct - other than those talking about 'not burdening the young' seemed to forget that point when they voted for Brexit.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    saver861 wrote: »
    Its detrimental whether its a man or a woman. It is not saying 6 years is detrimental to a woman but not a man - both the same.

Thus why DWP agreed that 10 years notice would be the minimum required for any changes to pensions.

If the DWP had felt 6 years notice was sufficient then thats what they would have stated!!!

All that is is a statement, there's no explaination as to why it's not enough.. that's what I want to know and no-one seems to be able to say why it's not considered enough.....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I am a 1953 baby so caught by both changes. I'm not bothered about the first one but do think there wasn't enough notice of the second change.

The equality thing is all very well but when I was a young mum paying the same NI as a man I didn't get the same protection. My husband's NI gave him protection for me and the children if he died, I would have got a widow's pension, I think it was actually called widowed mothers pension. His contributions would have also got a lump sum of £1000. If I died he didn't get the same so I had to pay for an insurance policy to give the same protection he got thrown in with other benefits from his NI. In the interests of equality and fairness do you think I should get my insurance premiums repaid to me? I took the policy out in 1971 when my first child was born and paid into it until about 2001 when the benefits changed, my youngest child was still at primary school at that time. So 30 years contributions, I must see if I can find the old policy as I can't remember what it cost.

I am assuming as people as so keen on fairness and equality no one will object to this?
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • saver861
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    All that is is a statement, there's no explaination as to why it's not enough.. that's what I want to know and no-one seems to be able to say why it's not considered enough.....

Ah ok I understand your question now.

Firstly the DWP has stated that there will be 10 years notice for any changes to SPA. That is the current agreed acceptable minimum.

Now, if you want the detail as to how they come up with the figure 10 years as opposed to 5 or 6 or 15 then you would need to do the research. I'm guessing they will have secured advice from various financial experts rather than plucking the figure 10 from the air.

In a more general context, if you have planned to retire at a certain age on the basis of obtaining a pension at a certain date and that date is then delayed a significant period, clearly you would need time to adjust your financial affairs to make up the shortfall.

Put simply, you will no doubt be aware of some Endownment mortgages and the shortfall that arose for some of these between the estimated actual payment versus the initial target sum.

Many people with these mortgages have had letters stating the additional amounts that would need to be paid to make up the shortfall in the remaining years. Clearly, this will have been done by the relevant financial calculations.

No doubt you will find the detail if you look at the justifications to the DWP's decisions and probably references to their reasoning.

Are you of the view that 6 years would be adequate notice for pension changes?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure