Advice on tribunal and flexible hours requirement

Options
Hi,

I had a verbal agreement with employer 12 months before maternity about having set hours which I was doing. On returning from maternity I have been told it was only temporary and that my contract states I have a flexible agreement and they now want me to work other hours.

The while my contact doesn't really agree with what they say the job description supplied by them states the below:

To work minimum 40 hours per week, the hours to be determined by your manager to ensure high standards are maintained."

I have not worked 40 hours for at least 10 years due to having children and my hours were changed although the also now refuse this was agreed. Does this statement in my job description mean they will win in a tribunal?

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Not an expert, but I believe you have a case. Your work had been changed (as your payslips for the last 10 years before mat leave will confirm) but the employer had not updated the contract. I don't think that they would be able to argue that a change which lasted 10 years was a temporary agreement!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do they want you to do additional hours, or is it the same number of hours but they want to change the days/times that you work?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you now put in a formal flexible working request?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You say you haven't done 40 hrs/wk for at least 10 years. Prior to the last 12 months before maternity leave, had your hours been fixed and consistent during the last 10 years i.e. always working the same hours per week and hours per day?
    Regarding the situation in the last 12 months, many companies review flexible working changes on a yearly basis and can move people back to their previous hours if there is a need. That's certainly the case where my wife works as there are a couple of people who were told they could reduce hours from this April but have since had the offer withdrawn, ironically because of others going on maternity leave.
  • satmanuk44
    satmanuk44 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They now want me to work less hours but more during the evening. When prior to maternity for 12 months at least it maybe 18 months actually I didn't work evenings.
  • satmanuk44
    Options
    No I simply asking to return on the shift pattern I left on. But they are telling me it was only termporary and that they have always rejected my flexible working requests. Which is not the case as I have been allowed to change my hours after both maternity leaves. But I have no proof aside from getting them to provide the totals that will confirm this unless they say they can not find them.
  • satmanuk44
    Options
    Tellit01 no they have not been exact for the last 10 years.

About 8 years ago my finish time was changed and I was relieved from on call duties.

About 6 years the evening work was reduced to 1 a week instead of 3-4.

12 to 15 months prior to maternity this was reduced again to 0 evening shifts.

All agreed verbally, yet letters they have now produced disagree with this stating they have always refused flexible working requests.
  • Pricivius
    Pricivius Posts: 651 Forumite
    Options
    If every change so far has been agreed verbally, are the company trying to argue that they have always refused (formal) Flexible Working Requests?

So they have informally agreed changes with you over the years, but none of these changes was arranged under the Flexible Working Request process, which requires meetings and justifications and deadlines etc..

This seems to be the point they are making.

Rather than talking Tribunal, have you discussed this with them? Do you understand why they are requiring you to do these hours? Is there a way around this? Can you work with them to find a solution? You state you have a flexible agreement which you accept you have used to your benefit over the years, but these things are a two-way street so I would be looking to work with them rather than sue them.
  • satmanuk44
    Options
    Pricivius wrote: »
    If every change so far has been agreed verbally, are the company trying to argue that they have always refused (formal) Flexible Working Requests?

So they have informally agreed changes with you over the years, but none of these changes was arranged under the Flexible Working Request process, which requires meetings and justifications and deadlines etc..

This seems to be the point they are making.

Rather than talking Tribunal, have you discussed this with them? Do you understand why they are requiring you to do these hours? Is there a way around this? Can you work with them to find a solution? You state you have a flexible agreement which you accept you have used to your benefit over the years, but these things are a two-way street so I would be looking to work with them rather than sue them.

They are stating for the requests that were made for flexible working they have always refused. I dispute that they have every rejected them. Which is shown, after asking for these changes I have worked the agreed hours of employment. If this was not the case I would not have had my shifts changed.

I have been trying to resolve this for 6 months, and have already started the tribunal process due to time limits set out by the tribunal service. I'm not saying I refuse to work the hours they are requesting to be awkward. It's simply childcare which is the reason I can not do this. Childcare cost for the afternoon /evening would be crica £130 for the same period I get paid £80. So I would loose crica £100 pw.

The employer has given me no alternatives, its their way or I face disciplinary.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like you've had informal hours change agreed in the past, rather than a formal agreement from a formal request - i.e. a form stating what you want, and what the impacts to the team/business are along with business benefit.

I'm certainly no expert, but I can't see anything wrong with that approach, trouble is I can't see how you'd prove it was anything else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure