Mortgage free asap

Options

Comments

• Tjh1412
    Tjh1412 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking time to reply, some great tips. For aditional think I'm going to set a mini target of 1% in 3 months, and then review once we get to March as this time of year is always more spendy than summer.

Taking Bexsters tip about having fun, just booked advance train tickets to London to use a Virgin experience voucher we got for Xmas, hopefully OH can stand the excitement:rotfl:

Not much money news today,though it was an NSD, oh and I dont have to make dessert as I got free cake from work :T good for the budget but not so much for the waistline:rotfl:now sat with the log burner on catching up on diaries and netflix
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Welcome . . . to the addictive o/p team :rotfl:

Do you have a sub account on your mortgage at all. This [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was what kept my interest going.

Once my monthly mortgage payment came off the total, I would then have a look at either the last 3 or 4 digits on the balance and then decide if I could pay off the odds by making a "knotty" o/p reducing the balance to 00.00 or 0.00 at the end of my mortgage :)

Do this with your mortgage balance, then sub account and repeat as many times as you like, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. Lots of small o/p's keeps your interest till your next monthly o/p reduces the mortgage figure once more.

Good Luck
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Tjh1412
    Options
    Thanks Frayed, from reading through diaries etc it does seem very addictive, counting down to payday already :rotfl:
    No sub accounts, hence why I'm going to try and split it up into 1% chunks, just so I have a goal to aim for, been reading the make £10 a day thread and so I'm gonna see what I can do with all the useful tips there, signed up to a couple survey sites so that will be £4/£1215 but I wont count them until they pay out.

Edit: just looked in the oven to check on dinner and realised OH didnt turn it on:rotfl:off to hunt through the freezer for a MSE way to rescue this
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to the board!

I'm a tad alarmed by how much your OH sounds like me - I'm having flashbacks to when I forgot to turn the oven on last week :eek:

Good job on the spending app - if you've got a lot of money left over might it be worth reducing the term of your mortgage when it's due for renewal, that way you'd increase your OP threshold (presuming you're on 10% maximum OP's p/a)?
  • pennystretcher
    pennystretcher Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 January 2018 at 10:23AM
    Options
    For motivation I made a spreadsheet showing mortgage total, payment, overpayments, interest and then total for the annual interest. To start with it was just one entry per month for the remaining mortgage period, and the last two years it's been daily counting down the days left in mortgage.

I also have a budget spreadsheet and all income has been rounded down and expenses rounded up. When they are due, I have moved the difference to the mortgage account - going back my records, my smallest OP has been 80p :D Also had targets in my calendar for round figures, so when I reached e.g. £15k, £10k marks I did treat myself to something small (my treats tended to be a nice bottle of wine to toast achieving the goal :) )

ps I also asked the mortgage company to round up the monthly payment, so e.g. if the monthly payment was £364.34 I'd ask them to take e.g. £375 or £400.
  • Tjh1412
    Options
    Thanks pennystretcher, I'm not sure if my excel skills would be up to that but it sounds great; do you know of any to download?

Nothing much in the way of money news today, just dinner which is YS lamb that I chucked in the slow cooker, and a free tray of flapjacks from work. Been in on overtime today, 13 hour shifts are a killer; got home and tried to put my cuppa in fridge and take the milk to living room:rotfl: so I'm off for a cup of tea and some quality time with my duvet, thank goodness its the weekend:T
  • Merchandiser2367
    Options
    Try matched betting

Takes a bit of research to understand it, I started as a complete beginner in November and had a profit of £500 in 5 weeks. Is a good on going earner for a few hours a week.

Try the website 'odds monkey if interested as the offer a free trial and you will make £60/£70 in an hour using this.
    Mortgage When Started Over Pay 01/11/2017- £146,500
    Current Total - 10/02/2022 - £6,500 (With Offset
    £10k Savings)
    5 year fix
    MFW hopefully by March 2022
    01/11/17 - £10k / £10k Emergency Savings :beer:
  • Tjh1412
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, my OH dooes a bit of this but I've never been able to get my head around it. Looks like is going to be a busy weekend, I need to:
    Go to the shop for packed lunch things for work
    Play freezer tetris
    Confront the ironing mountain that has built up because OH has had holiday from work and never learnt to iron:rotfl:
    Order a new card reader, as mine met its end when introduced to OHs coffee
    Sort out 2 lots of dinner and batch cook for the week ahead
    List a few bits on eb@y and drop off the charity shop box

Should be doing better but the lure of the fire and cups of tea is proving hard to resist today, though at least I'm too cosy to go out and spend anything :rotfl:
  • Merchandiser2367
    Options
    It does take a bit of time to get your head around but is well worth it.

We started our OP's in November and managed to OP about £7000 since then...looking to pay off our 21 year, £146500 mortgage in around 3 1/2 years hopefully and matched betting has become a big part of the plan.

Have sorted all saving accounts out as best interest as possible, opened a few mule current accounts to switch to get the free £125 switching bonus etc but matched betting beats all these hands down :)
    Mortgage When Started Over Pay 01/11/2017- £146,500
    Current Total - 10/02/2022 - £6,500 (With Offset
    £10k Savings)
    5 year fix
    MFW hopefully by March 2022
    01/11/17 - £10k / £10k Emergency Savings :beer:
  • jenni_fer
    jenni_fer Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Welcome and Good Luck!
    We were aiming for 45 but realistically we want to move and increase again instead, still a nice aim though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure