PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Which works out cheaper to fry with?

Options
Oil,butter or lard?
Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs

Comments

• LondonDreamer
    Options
    It will depend if the quantities vary, e.g. if you use more butter than oil (or vice versa) when frying. But all things being equal, I think oil is the cheapest option unless you happen to use an expensive oil - which I wouldn't recommend for frying anyway.

As an example, here is the approximate cost per tablespoon (15ml/half ounce) using the cheapest available of all three, which appears to be the same price across most supermarkets.

Oil - 1.5p (£10 for 10L sunflower oil)
    Lard - 2.45p (49p for 250g block)
    Butter - 5.95p (£1.19 for 250g block)
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Much better to use a decent oil to fry with but not use too much. I fry everything in olive oil but I wouldn't dream of using as much as a tablespoonful.
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, that surprised me as I was expecting lard to be cheapest.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • triticale
    triticale Posts: 771 Forumite
    Options
    Lard would have been the cheapest, however supermarkets have recently put the price up - a 250g block used to be more like 15-20p not very long ago.

50p for lard is absolutely outrageous! :eek:
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can get lard in the Polish shop for 39p...would that make it better value than oil?

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • LondonDreamer
    Options
    39p for lard would bring its cost down to 1.95 per tablespoon so oil is still cheaper if you can get it for 13p/100ml or less. My cost above was 10p/100ml, which is the current offer price in both A and T.
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    Much better to use a decent oil to fry with but not use too much. I fry everything in olive oil but I wouldn't dream of using as much as a tablespoonful.

I actually agree, and usually dry fry whenever I can. If it needs oil, I use a small drop (I'd say less than a teaspoon) and brush it around the pan with a pastry brush, just so things don't stick. Only used a tablespoon for costing as it was a convenient comparison amount. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure