Writing a Book Advice

Options
Hi, I have written a manuscript (formatted as it says on the Amazon help website) and wanted to know the next process.
Where is the best place to buy an ISBN number? I did find an American site where I could buy that and a barcode for around £120?
Then for publishing would it be better to go direct with amazon publishing or use a site like smashbox etc? It seemed a lot of effort to go with one of these companies and I was confused about signing the USD tax scheme thing when I am in the UK.
I am not expecting great things - if a few people read it and like it then great - If not I have ticked something off my bucket list.
Thanks

Comments

• mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely there are forums for authors out there that would give you more sage/experienced advice?

Good luck.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • tiz
    tiz Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    The UK ISBN distributor is Neilsen: http://www.isbn.nielsenbook.co.uk/controller.php?page=123

You don't need to pay for a barcode - there are a lot of free generators around and they literally are just converting numbers into stripes, nothing complicated.

Publishing through Createspace.com (Amazon) works fine. It just means your books will just be distributed through Amazon. You tend to get more of a cut of Amazon sales than if you went through a third party who then distributed to Amazon. It really depends where you think your sales will come from.

If you just want to distribute through them, then you could use their ISBN instead of buying one.

Good luck!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So If I go through createspace they would create me an ISBN? Yes I just want to sell on Amazon that would be fine for me.
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mikep22 wrote: »
    Surely there are forums for authors out there that would give you more sage/experienced advice?

Good luck.
    This forum is the busiest I know and I thought it was relevant to boosting income and that some people using this method to make money might be on here.
  • Azzzaa
    Azzzaa Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I had looked at doing it via amazon but when i worked out the calculations in Amazons free profit calculator I wasn't impressed with me return, i would have to charge around £22 to see a £4 return on each book, plus because i never see a physical copy of my bookm if i wanted to buy one or buy one as a gift for someone you have to pretty much pay the full ammount
    Documenting my journey from full time support worker to full time eBay reseller :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I didn't look into the figures that much to be honest - That is quite bad but what are your other options?
  • Flyonthewall
    Options
    Azzzaa wrote: »
    I had looked at doing it via amazon but when i worked out the calculations in Amazons free profit calculator I wasn't impressed with me return, i would have to charge around £22 to see a £4 return on each book, plus because i never see a physical copy of my bookm if i wanted to buy one or buy one as a gift for someone you have to pretty much pay the full ammount

£4 is, I think, a high royalty for a book. Publishers, from what I've read, offer around 10% of the net price (i.e. what they get, not the price in shops). Royalties will vary for self publishing, but I doubt many self published authors get that much per book.

Amazon print on demand so that is bound to be more costly than printing in bulk, but on demand has advantages.

Some books will cost more to print than others so that will make a difference to the royalties. A 500 page fiction book, for example, will obviously cost more to print than a 50 page fiction book. However, you may be able to charge more for the 500 page to the 50 page. Royalties will be better for some books than others.

OP, you can always start with Createspace (Amazon) and then try other options later if you want. You can get an ISBN from Amazon free and there is information on their forums regarding tax.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I will have a look at Createspace thanks, was just going to do a simple ebook with amazon and if I generate a couple of quid a year great - I can say I wrote a book and got it self published.

Thanks for all the advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport