PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

butternut squash

Options
Hi OS-ers

We should be getting a butternut squash in our veg box this week, but I've not bought or cooked one before and don't really know what to do with it :o

I can only think of chopping it up and serving it roasted as an accompaniment to a roast dinner? Are they flavoursome? How do you usually cook yours? :)
The report button is for abusive posts, not because you don't like someone, or their opinions

Comments

• Doveling
    Options
    Butternut squash soup is delicious! Lots of recipes for it on the net. x
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • flopsy59
    Options
    butternut squash is lovely also do it in roast vegs in oven
  • notanewuser
    Options
    I use butternut squash as follows:

* chopped and steamed with sweet potato ads topping for fish pie
    * roasted with sweet potato to use in a curry
    * roasted with sweet potato and herbs, then add some goats cheese to melt over as a quick veggie supper
    * roasted in small cubes and added to a plain risotto
    * roasted and tossed warm through a salad with walnuts and goats cheese
    * roasted with red onions and red peppers and either served with baked potatoes and soft cheese or blitzed with some veggie stock into wine
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Butternut is gorgeous roasted along with your roast dinner.

I always found it a right PITA to prepare as it is very hard until someone told me to microwave it whole. Just chuck in the microwave for 5 minutes, turn over and another 5 mins (no need to !!!!! it).

I then scoop it out (discard seeds and string) and put lumps onto a baking sheet, drizzle with melted butter (could use oil), shake S&P on and roast in the oven or alternatively, scoop out and use in soups.

If I do prepare it raw, a good serrated bread knife is what I have found to be the best knife to attack it with.

As long as the skin isn't damaged, they last weeks and weeks in a cool place so you have plenty of time to decide :D
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    another one for butternut squash soup

we do butternut squash peeled and chopped, onion and two cloves garlic peeled and chopped, one small red chilli deseeded and chopped, one litre veg stock, simmer for about an hour and then blitz with a hand blender

serve with some nice crusty bread and it is yummy
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can boil cubes and add to some pasta with sage, a pinch of salt and pepper, a veg stock cube and sprinkle over grated Parmesan for a delicious pasta dish

I also use boiled cubes added to a tin of tomatoes, mixed herbs, chickpeas, a tsp of sugar and a chopped onion to make a sauce for pasta or rice.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's a Nigel Slater recipe that I love, Stuffed Butternut Squash.

When I make it, I serve it with couscous that I've added some of the onions to and used the same spices in the water used to rehydrate the couscous. It's really nice.
  • notanewuser
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    There's a Nigel Slater recipe that I love, Stuffed Butternut Squash.

When I make it, I serve it with couscous that I've added some of the onions to and used the same spices in the water used to rehydrate the couscous. It's really nice.

Ooh, that sounds lush!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • caroc
    caroc Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2014 at 8:18PM
    Options
    I recommend Thai style Butternut Squash Curry. I have made it several times and it always comes out well. You can use it for other veg too. This is the recipe on 'veg box recipes' website.

Thai Style Squash Curry

forums.moneysavingexpert.com This curry is easy to make and pretty quick. Just make the paste, chop the veggies and cook it all in a wok (or large frying pan) with the coconut milk. Works well with pumpkin, too. Ingredients

Serves 4
    • 1 butternut squash
    • 1 medium onion, peeled & roughly chopped
    • 500g of other in-season vegetables, such as runner beans, brocolli, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, late-season courgettes
    • 1 tin coconut milk (or 1/2 block of creamed coconut, dissolved in 300ml warm water
    • 1 inch piece of fresh root ginger, peeled & roughly chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
    • 1 inch piece of fresh lemongrass (optional
    • 1 fresh chilli (or dried equivalent
    • ½ teaspoon ground tumeric
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    • juice of 1 lime (optional
    • 30 ml oil (e.g. olive oil, sunflower, sesame oil
    You're supposed to make a paste with the spices, but I didn't bother, I just crushed the garlic and chopped up the other things. Stir fry the spices for 2 minutes, add the chopped veg, stir, add the coconut milk and simmer until tender. Also great for using up bits of veg. I found for the recipe a small squash or 1/2 a large one was enough.
    Still virtually alcohol free since 4/1/15. (10 Xmas/ New Year/Birthday drinks)
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound in weight. Target 13 lbs weight loss. 18.5lbs lost 2nd May - 28 September.
  • aneres
    aneres Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cube it, spray with fry light, sprinkle some paprika over and then roast.

I use it as a substitute for rice to go with Curry or Chilli.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure