MSE News: Tesco outlaws 'wrong item' vouchers

Options

Comments

• Sylvester
    Sylvester Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never used a coupon if I have not bought the item, but fair play to those who did (in moderation!)

If Tesco offered the policy, then why not use it? In these tough times, we all have to do what we need to do, to get by.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If the dealer had a policy to accept it YES!
    Fair enough, but you don't have moral grounds to complain if the dealer then changed the policy in line with the wording on the coupon.
  • felicity1
    felicity1 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Do people not realise that using coupons in Tesco was never a right, merely a perk? I am (well, was!) a coupon user in Tesco, some weeks we used them, some weeks we had none so didn't, some weeks they accept, some they don't. As previous posters have said many, many times, if your coupons are accepted then treat it as a bonus, it is not a shoppers 'right' to use them.

Some posters are maintaining that they can no longer afford to eat because Tesco have suspended their coupon system - this is madness. To budget according to Tesco's coupon policy is daft, there are plenty of other ways of budgeting for food, you only have to read the many posts on here to learn how to do it.

It's a great shame that the coupon system has ended, but there are loads of alternatives - Aldi/Lidl, here I come!
  • dnomyar
    dnomyar Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    I used to use the cheaper brands but both my local supermarkets - Tesco and Morrison - have drastically reduced availability of own brand food products in favour of overpriced named brands. No wonder they are still making big profits in a recession!

This is the case with most supermarkets and the own brands or value ones they still do, a good percentage of which the prices have gone up quite a bit . I read a report earlier this year highlighting the fact that due to the big supermarkets losing out market share last year to the likes of Aldi, Lidle and Netto, they all did a big push on smart price / value products and as they slowly gained some market share back, these products are slowley disappearing or raising in price and the supermarkets in turn keep the majority of the customers they gained back.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • dnomyar
    dnomyar Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options

Seriously if you want Tesco to change anything, add deals anywhere, improve service or anything else give them feedback! As its head office you guys want to be dealing with and thats the best way to get to them, you will achieve nothing terrorising your local store employees as they have little contact with the main crux of the company.

I Agree with this. I for one will be writing to them, telling them how disapointed I am with the change in policy and letting them know that I will no longer be shopping there and taking my business to Aldi, Lidl. You never know, if they get thousands of letters they may change there mind (wishfull thinking though!)

Tesco Customer Service
    PO Box 73
    Baird Avenue
    Dryburgh Industrial Estate
    Dundee
    DD1 9NF
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Princess_Coupon
    Options
    Fair enough, but you don't have moral grounds to complain if the dealer then changed the policy in line with the wording on the coupon.

If I believed it had been stopped prematurely due to someone/something, I would then complain about that someone/something.
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven :heart:
  • Princess_Coupon
    Princess_Coupon Posts: 3,714 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2009 at 10:56PM
    Options
    Here we go in black and white

http://www.promotionsandincentives.c...against-Tesco/

"It would not give a reason for what it described as an "internal decision".
    However sources close to the brand said Tesco's move was connected with comments made by MoneySavingExpert's Martin Lewis on GMTV commenting on the savings to be made using coupons.

According to The Sun last week, on October 1 hundreds of customers turned up at Tesco stores in West Bromwich, Willenhall and Dudley with the vouchers after printing them off of the internet.
    Tesco is believed to be launching an inquiry into the incident and has denied it had an impact on its decision to switch coupon policy."
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven :heart:
  • chocolady
    Options
    Well as I said it was rather forcing them into a corner wasnt it? However, at least they have at come out with a blanket policy as my store nearly always accepted them but some of my relative's stores did not and so it was all pretty unfair as a whole. I think Tesco accepting other supermarket's vouchers for use in their store did put them on the back foot and probably made it difficult for them to refuse to take vouchers against branded products but as I say they did not make it a clear policy which left everyone in the dark. Dont like their bully boy tactics against their suppliers though and really dont think they are a great store to shop at anyway but they are everywhere where I live! Seriously thinking about shopping elsewhere now though.
  • Debt_Free_Dreamer
    Debt_Free_Dreamer Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2009 at 9:10AM
    Options
    aldudturn wrote: »
    That analogy doesn't make sense.

If you had a voucher for £1000 off a new Ford Fiesta, would you think you're entitled to £1000 off any new car with that voucher?

No harm in asking. If you don't ask, you don't get. :beer:

Tesco's accepted these vouchers, why slate the people who just did what the policy at that time allowed.

My friendly SA is not very happy either, they said the tills cannot recognise if you have bought the item and will have to resort to looking through till receipts and shopping bags to see if you have actually bought the item as they have to be sure.

Gonna be long queues in Tesco's. Oddly enough it did feel like Christmas last time I was in with queues backing into the isles. May be that was why!
    I want to be credit card and loan free by Christmas 2010
  • SAVEALOT
    SAVEALOT Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there, my first post, please bear with me.

I think there possibly may be a way to help the sa with this. If the customers place the corresponding coupons on top of the product when it is on the conveyor belt. That way the sa can check if the item matches the coupon instantly, therefore making queues shorter, hopefully. But this does mean that the cutomer must go into tesco pretty organised.
    Just a suggestion, as sometimes you only need something urgent, but the queues do sometimes seem like its xmas.
    Content makes poor men rich; discontentment makes rich men poor.:rolleyes: Benjamin Franklin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure