Start a 'cottage industry'... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pink_Fairy wrote: »
    Hi. I'm new on here. Work full time but still seem stretched to the limit. Would appreciate any hints, tips etc but think I've taken the first step by joining you.

You have made the best step you can.

Most people on here attack money on two fronts. They try to save money and try to earn a bit more.

It depends on what you want to do, some people want one thing that will earn them a fair bit each month, others are happy to do several things that earn a little each month.

Have a good look around the forum as there are many boards with great stuff in them. Check out the referrals board, it often has good ways to earn a little extra and also has many people who will point out things that are scams.
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    Hi
    I don't want to bore those of you who know me from other threads but I knit scarves & make rice/lavender heat bags, shopping bags from old clothes & make up baby toiletries baskets.
    I'm aiming to try some of the local craft/gift fayres next year. I have previous experience of the larger fayres, but have found the stalling out fees to be astronomical. I was only aiming to do 2 fayres this year & both were rained off.
    I do have a blog, but it is not aimed at selling my stuff, it is just a series of anecdotes about my life & how I lurch from crisis to crisis, starting from scratch at 50.
    I make some money from taking in lodgers, but am finding it stressful, so I'm hoping to earn more money other ways this year.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • kbl
    kbl Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, just a thought, if anyone can sew really well, why not make outfits for little girls with matching ones for their dolls? I saw some absolutely gorgeous outfits in a craft fair before Christmas where they supplied the rag doll as well. They had a trendy jacket and jeans outfit, a xmas dressy outfit, a pyjama outfit and a leggings with tunic style outfit. Each outfit could be sold as part of a set with the doll and matching outfit or seperately and came in sizes 2-3 up to 7-8. Sadly, they were too expensive for my pocket but it was an extremely successful stall. I wish I could do something like this, but my talents lie elsewhere...I'm sure I'll find out what they are someday!!
    Credit card €7892.36/€ 0
    Catalogues €767.52/€ 0
    hospital costs €550
    wtshtf fund 0/ €2000
    #13 1% challenge - 0
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not long now... hope my hot glue gun arrives on Monday :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Today I lined & altered 2 pairs of curtains, I made £25, minus the cost of the lining, which was rescued from another old pair of curtains.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    Hi
    Today I lined & altered 2 pairs of curtains, I made £25, minus the cost of the lining, which was rescued from another old pair of curtains.

That's great! I've spent quite a bit of time just trying to get up to date on what I've got and what I haven't got for recycling, plus my glue gun arrived yesterday :D Just as well I ordered a spare box of glue sticks, though, because the 'COMPLETE WITH 2 FREE GLUE STICKS' part was missing! Need to complain about that asap. I've also joined the www.pigsback.com website and have 'earned' £4.25 but I like a challenge, so ordered my 'little piggy' so I can try to win some of their fun competitions of piggy pics. Sorry, I kind of got sidetracked :rotfl:

• mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    what could i make from home???? I dont have many skills? would love to do something though and sell them on ebay
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    what could i make from home???? I dont have many skills? would love to do something though and sell them on ebay

You don't need to make things, you could adapt things, mend things, clean things up to increase their value or anything else you fancied doing :) I'm quite into my papier mache now and am going to attempt a few for a craft fayre at the end of January and might even try listing them in my eBid store. Guess they'll need to be really cheap to compensate for postage costs, though cos big and bulky with not a lot of weight still costs.

Can you sew? :D

• mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    nykmedia wrote: »
    You don't need to make things, you could adapt things, mend things, clean things up to increase their value or anything else you fancied doing :) I'm quite into my papier mache now and am going to attempt a few for a craft fayre at the end of January and might even try listing them in my eBid store. Guess they'll need to be really cheap to compensate for postage costs, though cos big and bulky with not a lot of weight still costs.

Can you sew? :D

never tried sewing but my mum did it for a living. is it easy? whats a Ebid store? would really love to make/do things for a living from home not just for money..to show my children how to do things mainly make them proud :)
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    I used to use eBay quite a bit, now only when there's a cheap listing day (not been free listing there for a long, long time), plus I now have 5 stores set up on eBid that cost me nothing to list in them. I took advantage of one of the special offers they ran on there some time ago, where it let you upgrade your basic membership to the top level free of charge, which included having up to 5 stores. It's only since being on my 4k challenge last year that I started looking at them seriously with a view to making some extra cash, but am planning on doing much more in 2008.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport