Our first month

Options
Well, thats the end of our first month of money saving. We feel on top of the world this morning. It has only been 1 month but already our lives and our out look on life has begun to change. I'm sorry for going on, but I've never felt so in control of our finances and never felt so good about paying bills :rotfl: . I wish I could give everyone who has offered me advice and support (especially those who helped me with my SOA at the start when I wasn't really at that light bulb moment yet) a great big hug :rotfl:

So, thanks to the inspiration of the longer term dfw-ers, this month we have achieved:
Joined quidco and have £200+ tracked
Have reduced our monthly outgoings by £133
We have sold items on ebay that total £56 so far, with another £83 or so finishing today
We have sold books on amazon that have totalled £50 so far
We've emptied our penny pig and banked about £30 from that. Pig is now on a £2 diet. Though at this rate I fear he'll starve.
I've started cooking from scratch (thanks to the os board) and I'm really enjoying cooking for the first time ever
I've just paid a large lump sum (£1447) off our credit card which is largely thanks to us selling everything but also a small bonus that would have normally been frittered away
We've paid off 2 small overdrafts
We've switched our other overdraft to 0% for 12 months
Switched our CC to another 0% for 9 months
Found the wonders of snowballing
I've also got myself a part time job :D which will bring in another £300 a month.

So all in all, a blinking good month. anyone else care to share their achievements?

Comments

• Johnhowell
    Johnhowell Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mrs Mug,

This is so fantastic. You must be so proud.

Keep it up.

Regards,
    John
  • littlestar1981
    Options
    Wow!! Well done!!

This is the start of my first proper month as a DFW so I'll report on how it goes. As you can see I've a long way to go but I'm confident I'll get there.

I was paid an hour ago and already I've paid all my debts due this month!! And for the first time I didn't just make minimum payments, I paid the exact amounts the snowball calculator told me to.

It's left me with £221 for 'me' (this includes petrol, food shouldn't cost anything as I live with parents and I pay them £30 a week to live and eat there) so let's see how it goes.

I will admit to also already having spent £3 on eBay on a VHS... maybe I should join an eBay challenge and sell some stuff!!
    OU Student! - ED209, SDK125, DSE212, SK124, DSE141, SD226, DXR222, DD303, DD307 = BSc Psychology
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Blimey Mrs Mug- thats AMAZING!!
    Well done you!!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Thefunkygibbons
    Options
    Cracking start

The lightbulb moment truly is looking at the elephant in the room and just firing up the bbq, ready to tackle it one kebab at a time
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Options
    Well done! Keep up the good work! :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • Simon83
    Simon83 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Well done!

My debt as of 1st August was £6,395 it is now £5,600.

I managed to be backpaid £1 per hour ive been paid wrong, that was about £300, managed to sell k800i on ebay for £250, managed to only spend on my self £40 a week. cleared one over draft (£400) and paid my mum £400 from my debt to her (£6000).

so good month.

Might try this quidco, not sure how it all works though, but will search for info
  • beverleyhills
    Options
    :j Great progress mrs mug. Keep it up
    'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
  • mrs_mug_2
    mrs_mug_2 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    well done simon- its a good feeling, isn't it?

Thank you everyone else, your support means a lot to me
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm very impressed - a total life change and straight into the snowballing! Well done. It's a lovely feeling one you're controlling it, rather than the other way round.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Fantastic start mrs mug!
    Keep it up!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure