Just some general advise please regarding various debts

Options
Good afternoon MSE

Ok so like many on here i have chucked letters away waited for final demands and let numerous CCJ pile up in my name making my credit score worthless so today id like to take the step to pay all that off or reduce it or anything positive.

At the moment I am on jobseekers allowance I have not yet got my figure for what I will be awarded but I believe it will be roughly £150 per fortnight so £300 a month.

Here are my debts that im aware of.

Council Tax 2010/2013/2014 £817.19 Previous Flat
'' '' 2016 £586.00 Current

Cabot Financial credit card £221.46

Robinson Way Llyods Debt £595.20

Advantis water rates £1,311.81

GDR LTD Perfect Home £592.53

Total Debt: £4124.79:mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek:

Ok so the credit card was taken out in 2014 I belive made a few payments let it lapse.

The llyods debt was way back in 2010 I changed bank and never repaid this

Water rates again some time in 2010/2011 never really caught up with me chased me for it

Perfect homes is a new one to pop up was taken out in 2013 now with a collection agency

I was working up until last week and now will rely on JSA until I get a new job my current commitments are

Rent £415
Gas and Elc £30
Sky£50
Broadband £35
Food £75

In regards my rent im prob going to get a high % paid for me via the benefits but untill I know for sure these are my outgoing and income no idea what to do really
Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #571

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,

You may be able to negotiate with your debts and should prioritise the council tax and perfect homes (to a certain degree - depends how the agreements ended). Your council tax should be offered no less than £3.70per week until you are back in work and if you have or are being threatened with bailiffs then just remember - do not let them in and hide anything valuable outside.

Alternatively, you could try a Debt Relief Order to write everything off. It will cost £90, cause the debts to be written off and even more damage to your credit file, but if you can't deal with everything this may help.

You may even find some of your debts have trust funds to help clear the arrears (like the water) or may be too old to be chased in the course (possibly the Lloyds debt), so you may be able to get some written off this way and then negotiate with the rest. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    Yes the council are asking for a income and outgoings plan in regards the perfect homes it was for a dell laptop and im not sure what you mean by how the agreements ended.

If i went down the debt relief order what is this am i sure to get one? how would i go about it?
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    Anyone wanna chime in on the DRO thing?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 28 September 2016 at 7:50PM
    Options
    JSA is £73.10 per week if you're 25+

Your housing benefit will not cover all your rent if it is more than the LHA rates that apply in your area (private rented) and council tax support probably won't cover all this year's council tax but the council should issue a revised bill.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

remember the shared accom rate applies if you are under 35

Now it is quite likely you would qualify for a DRO, having under 20k debt, surplus income <50 per month and no car (or one worth under £1k).

But if you breach those limits in the year after getting one, it is revoked, the debts come back and you can't have another one for 6 years.

So if you are likely to find a job in the next year, what I would do now is sort the priority debt (council tax, £3.70 direct deduction from your JSA) as Laura suggests (Perfect Homes is not priority), and look at the situation again when the situation is stable as you would either still qualify for a DRO or have loads of money to pay them all off!

You can read about a DRO here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/debt-relief-orders/debt-relief-orders-explained/debt-relief-orders-what-you-need-to-know/

Just thought ... can you edit your original post and label the debts that have a ccj on them. Ta
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    Cheers guys and gals So the tax is this years plus a lot of previous years how do I get them to accept 3.70 deduction from my JSA as this would take years to clear?

Also what about the other debts ie Water perfect homes robinson way etc etc what do i do with those in the meantime?

Also forgot to add another 900 owed to lowell for phones
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Cheers guys and gals So the tax is this years plus a lot of previous years how do I get them to accept 3.70 deduction from my JSA as this would take years to clear?

Also what about the other debts ie Water perfect homes robinson way etc etc what do i do with those in the meantime?

Also forgot to add another 900 owed to lowell for phones

It's a standard deduction for those on a means tested benefit. Ask for a 'stacked' arrangement.

We're just trying to keep the bailiffs away on that one.

You've ignored some of these debts for 6 years and now you're on JSA you want to deal with them. You are not going to have any surplus income so a DRO is the way forward, probably. But see my comments in my last post.
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    Yea I doubr a DRO is a good idea as I plan to get back into work and hopefully tackle this mess in which case a DRO would be pointless unless I dont look for work for a year but that seems a awful step back
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello again,

There are a few things to consider from what you have said. (1). If you still have the item from perfect homes and you wish to keep it then you must maintain the payments. If you are behind you will need to pay the normal payment plus extra to try and keep it. Perfect Homes is a hire purchase agreement, and you can find out more from our factsheet - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/hire-purchase-debt/hire-purchase-and-conditional-sale.aspx

And (2) with a DRO you would have to be conscious of earning potential during the 12months of your moratorium because if you have more than £50pcm surplus in the 12months of your DRO it will be cancelled. But it wouldn't necessarily mean you couldn't look for work because you have a DRO. Remember that when you return to work you would lose your housing benefit and council tax support. You may have more travel and/or food costs (at work). Your budget now is likely to be very restricted at the moment so you may build in a budget for emergencies, clothes, etc. that you may not be able to do now. Just some more food for thought to help you,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure