SMA Setup, select country standard?

Options
In the setup for my new SMA inverter, I need to select a country standard (something to do with grid standards) but the options are just meaningless to me. Anybody know what I need to set it to for the uk?

AS4777.2_2015
AS4777.3
C10/11/2012
CEI 0-21 internal
EN50438:2013
G83/2
Island mode 50Hz
Island mode 60Hz
NEN-EN50438:2013
RD1699/413
VDE-AR-N4105
VDE0126-1-1
VFR2014
Worst case

Those are my options.

Comments

• gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    it should be g83/2 for the uk.
    but be quick as it is time limited from switch on
    regards
    gefnew
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It can be set using sunny explorer from sma.
    when you fist turn on and connect via bluetooth.
    After a set time you will require a grid guard code to set it up
    Regards
    gefnew
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Silly question but why are you needing to set this? I would have expected the installer to sort that out.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gefnew wrote: »
    it should be g83/2 for the uk.
    but be quick as it is time limited from switch on
    regards
    gefnew
    Thanks.
    pinnks wrote: »
    Silly question but why are you needing to set this? I would have expected the installer to sort that out.
    Good question. The installer just seemed to do the physical fitting. He gave me the little handbook from SMA (which is totally useless as it only seems to have pictograms), and said that the codes on the back will let me connect it to my WiFi. That turned out to be true, but when you set up the WiFi it triggers a 5 step installation wizard that asks for lots of extra stuff, including the country grid standard.

I still haven't figured out how to get it on Sunny Portal yet. The guy said I had to use two codes on the back of the handbook (ser no. And PIC code I think), butvin have no clue where to enter them! I signed up to sunny Portal earlier, but all it does is show a blank page with a message saying that there is no inverter set up. It doesn't seem to give any option to set one up either.

It is just about the least intuitive process I have ever used. I'm normally a very calm person, but my laptop nearly went right out the lounge window today, and my OH sent me off to play Lego with the kids to cool off! :rotfl:

On the plus side, I am actually finally generating again! Shame the weather was terrible.
  • lstar337
    Options
    Ok, I have found how to add my system to sunny Portal, but I need a figure for specific annual yield. Anyone care to make an estimate for a 1.5kWp system in Somerset?
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Ok, I have found how to add my system to sunny Portal, but I need a figure for specific annual yield. Anyone care to make an estimate for a 1.5kWp system in Somerset?

No but this will do it for you. Don't worry about the details that you don't know and use reasonable estimates for those you can.

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php#
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • pinnks
    Options
    The system will auto populate that field too, or you can put in the data yourself. If you are into social media, you might like to look at sunnyplaces.com too. I have had a look at it but not sure what it adds to be honest.

For a while I used sunny explorer on my PC but that has a few issues with my two inverter set-up running through a single network cable. I have now got used to sunny portal and use that to download data to a spreadsheet to keep a daily record. You need to convert taxt to columns in Excel but not that difficult once you get the hang of it.
  • lstar337
    Options
    Thanks E.T I got it all setup and sorted using the value from PVGIS.

Pinnks, thanks, I have it all setup now. Sunny portal is all working correctly and shows generation data.

I'm a bit disappointed that the sunny portal app doesn't show the live generation figure that you get when you log into the inverters IP address, but maybe that will come later.

It was very satisfying to finally see some generation again! And a lovely sunny day yesterday to top it off. :D
  • pinnks
    Options
    I agree and don't use it for that reason - just go to https://www.sunnyportal.com on internet device and you get more useful data and displays.

By the way, if you have any shading, you can turn on OptiTrac Global Peak in Sunny Explorer (don't think you can edit in portal - can't remember). It's not as good as SolarEdge optimisers but does help and mine was off by default.
  • lstar337
    Options
    I agree and don't use it for that reason - just go to https://www.sunnyportal.com on internet device and you get more useful data and displays.
    Ok. It would have been nice on the App because it would be easy for the misses to just load up on her phone and see if it is a good time to put the washing on. Anything that requires a URL or logging on is going to be out of her wheel house.
    By the way, if you have any shading, you can turn on OptiTrac Global Peak in Sunny Explorer (don't think you can edit in portal - can't remember). It's not as good as SolarEdge optimisers but does help and mine was off by default.
    No chance of shading on my roof. There is a power cable that runs over, but It is pretty thin so I doubt it casts much of a shadow. Thanks for the tip though. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure