PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Think it had better be Thrifty if she has time, I'm so technically unskilled I wouldn't know what to do or how to do it. I came late to computers and all I can do is turn this one on and find you lot and Fleabay!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Think it had better be Thrifty if she has time, I'm so technically unskilled I wouldn't know what to do or how to do it. I came late to computers and all I can do is turn this one on and find you lot and Fleabay!

:kisses3: :A :T
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, everyone, it's our Big Weekend down here; you can't move for men with bells on, hankies waving everywhere and flowers all over everyone's heads. We have two young German lads staying who are undoubtedly going home under the impression that the English are completely bonkers - but a lot of fun!

I'll attempt to allocate some pages to all volunteers tomorrow, after running the gauntlet of accordions and stick-smashing one more time...

And thank you, Herbily!
    Angie - GC May 24 £156.41/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    BB, if you want to share skull-maintenance tips with us girlies.........? Mr Sheen or Pledge? Polishing with trad yellow duster or a microfibre cloth? Eager minds (and me, the p-artist) wanna know. :rotfl:

Well, I don't polish, but the things I have learned, over the years, include:-

Use shaving gel, in preference to foam.

Shave forward, from the back of the head.

Keep a styptic pencil on hand.
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi fellow preppers .....does the recent election mean a softer brexit ? the woman on press review said leaving the single market would cost us 48 billion plus divorce costs 30Bil we may eventually become wealthier as we trade with more countries....... would it be a catastrophe if we had a left wing government ? would we eventually end up like greece is there a sensible Keynesian approach.? thinking of joining slimming wurld before going to see family in LA next year..... you all take care
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning all.

daz, good to 'see' you again.

Apparently, the UK is presently contributing 12% of the EU's budget, so we'll be ahead by that much and those EU countries presently free-riding on the original EU states will likely be expected to put their hands in their pockets. I expect this will go down about as well as a stinky f@rt in a lift.

There's also the interesting clash of opinions between the newly minted Scottish Tory MPs and the newly recruited DUP members about a few issues inc gay rights, which will likely mean they're not best pals and T M will have to try and square that circle if she wants all to vote with her.

Reminds me a bit of the later Thatcher years when she was only able to get legislation thru due to a handful of ulster MPs voting with her (which meant a small contentions part of the UK held the whip hand over the vast majority of the country, I loathed them for it at the time and had another heart-sink moment when this current compromise was declared).

The EU is a fatally-wounded beast, not because of Brexit (we should be so arrogant) but because of its inherent contradictions and overweening ambition to form the United States of Europe.

I think the EU will be long gone by the mid-century, possibly in less than ten years, and we're wise to get out in double-quick time when we can.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    daz378 wrote: »
    hi fellow preppers .....does the recent election mean a softer brexit ?
    Hello daz, hope you're doing okay.

I think the recent election means a near-future election, frankly, especially after reading this morning that TM thought the cooperation with the DUP was a done deal, and they came out and said no.
    Sorry, everyone, it's our Big Weekend down here; you can't move for men with bells on, hankies waving everywhere and flowers all over everyone's heads. We have two young German lads staying who are undoubtedly going home under the impression that the English are completely bonkers - but a lot of fun!

I'll attempt to allocate some pages to all volunteers tomorrow, after running the gauntlet of accordions and stick-smashing one more time...
    :j:j:j hankies with knots tied in the corners :beer:

Enjoy the stick smashing :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was musing on Landlordzone yesterday that Theresa called the election and lost on purpose, as she is really a Remainer. I think BoJo will have to take over, and no doubt call another election to get back a majority.

What a waste of time and effort Theresa turned out to be, eh?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Whatever happens politically I think the time has come for us each to look at our lives and do whatever we can to future proof them in all areas! The world has never been a 'given place' but I just feel that we reached the peak of what we're likely to achieve as a race a while ago and from here on in it's a downhill slope, all we can do is make sure we've got as good a set of brakes in our lives as we can create. I'm currently de cluttering like mad, it's surprising how effective emptying a cupboard/drawer of 'treasures' is when you leave them on display for a couple of days and can then realise that there are very few of them that you actually want to keep. Another and possibly bigger boot fair is rapidly becoming a reality. The same is going to happen in the kitchen cupboards and I'm going to keep in mind that most of the time it's just the two of us so all the bigger pans and extra crockery and cutlery that I've been keeping for 'when the family comes' will be offered to them and if they don't need , into the boot fair pile it shall go. It's a source of amazement to me just how much I've accumulated over the past 24 years since we came here and I'm certainly NOT going to drag it all with us when we move again now!!! I'm aiming for simple.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Her very demeanour says to me that she never wants to lose face. In my opinion someone with that demeanour wouldn't lose on purpose for anything, never mind the greater good of the country.

I'm spitting feathers that the Conservatives made a statement that the DUP had agreed the principles of a deal to back them, the DUP then saying that no agreement had been made but talks were ongoing and then the Conservatives said they released that statement in error, releasing a much less overstated account in it's place.

It's continual upmanship and game playing and if our lives weren't at stake I'd give it a five star comedy review just based on the farcical elements of spin!

Tea!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport