The Scariest Thing I Have Ever Done....

Options
So, I'm being a little premature by signing up here. I am on the verge of exchange as a FTB, and while I know that I still have many hurdles to cross before I actually start paying the mortgage, I have already made the decision that I want to be mortgage free as soon as is humanly possible - even if the powers that be are against me and this property falls through, I know that when we are in place I need to reduce my debt as soon as possible.

I have been reading through all of your threads, and I'm amazed and inspired by all of your stories and its given me a huge kick to think how much I can save in interest alone (let alone building my equity faster) simply through overpayments. I have, however, set myself what feels like a pretty scary task ahead for my new home when it comes to aiming to become mortgage free in as little time as possible.

Mortgage Value: £532,000
LTV: 95%
Monthly repayments: £2,600 per month for the first two years until fixed rate expires - then, it will all come down to where interest rates are
Term: 31 Years

Mortgage is solely in my name, but husband will be making contributions (he's still named on an ex's mortgage, and its complicated :) ). This is my house, for us to live in, and I'm going to pay for it without asking anyone else for a penny - aside from an equal contribution to the bills of course!

I have worked out my budget, but my first year projections for overpayment are all going to come down to the actual completion date. If its ahead of March, I'll need to pay my interest free bridging loan back before I can make substantial overpayments, if its after March I should be able to start with OP's immediately.....

My planned OP's right now are varying in projection between £500 a month and £1,000 a month - with some additional lump sum payments alongside helping my savings build up again having decimated them with the planned deposit.

I have been reading all of your tips with interest, and will be posting more information and hoping for your help and support as I start this journey. I'm still deciding on my planned timeframe - I think my stretch target will be 15 years early, but its more likely to be 10 early (i.e. 20 years from now!!!!!!!). I could be around here for some time :rotfl:

Updates to come as soon as we get our exchange and completion dates sorted.... and then planning can commence in full!

Wish me luck.............!

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gosh - you must be in the SE! :eek:

Best of luck :)
  • Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    first thing well done :]

i myself was a first time buyer 11 months ago and just as scared at the time

massive amount of money that is to me 500k wow but all relative i know so good luck and update as as you go along

biggest time is just Save or Op when you can simples but takes a while hehw
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • McTaggus
    McTaggus Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I'm in the SE, and believe me it's a massive sum no matter how you look at it. I'm still reeling that I can borrow that much on my own, particularly as I had to fight so hard 10 years ago to get a 120K mortgage!!

I have to admit I'm a little scared, but I think that's going to add to my motivation to pay off sooner!!!

I'm going to do all I can to rebuild my savings AND OP, and am going to do my utmost to cut my repayment term by 50%. That's my goal... As at least then I'll be mortgage free by the time I'm 50!

Thanks for the support, I'll be here some time (clearly!) but looking forward to starting the journey with other like minded folk!
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Very good luck on the journey, I hope you enjoy the challenge!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • McTaggus
    McTaggus Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you!!!!:o
  • bunty109
    bunty109 Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow at that mortgage! Good luck!
    MFW 2019#24 £9474.89/£11000 MFW 2018#24 £23025.41/£15000
    MFi3 v5 #53 £12531/
    MFi3 v4 #53 £59442/£39387
  • dark^knight
    Options
    That's a monster of a mortgage...the very best of luck.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That is a whopper! Best of luck with the new diary :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • stuart07970
    stuart07970 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 January 2016 at 9:03AM
    Options
    Congrats on your decision and commitment to overpay.

My only piece of advice would be to time your remortgages - ie. the period of each of your fixes to get you just below the next loan to value band.

Also find out which lenders let you remortage early if you stay with them. (Nationwide do - this lets you access a cheaper rate and overpay more 3 months earlier)

By timing it right, overpaying, and getting cashback, I managed to get our rate down from 3.49% to 1.84% in 3.5 years, and those lower payments in turn allow you to overpay more.

As a kick start remember that there's no council tax to pay in Feb & March, so add that to the pot for your overpayments.

:)

My only other piece of advice is to make a legal agreement about what will happen if you split from your other half.
    Hard talking now is better than expensive disputes later.
    Look I'm sure you'll be together forever - but do it just in case.
    (I'm sure I'm not gonna crash my car today or die - but I've got insurance for both just in case)
    Scrimping the nuts out of life since 2006!:cool:
  • Gen_Y_Saver
    Options
    Best of luck McTaggus!

What is the rate of the 2 year fix? Assuming a rate of 3%, every £1,000 overpaid will save you c£1,500 in interest!
    MFW! Original loan (Aug 2015) = £65000
    Current debt = £43000
    Interest saved so far = £13930
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills