Credit Unions: Official MoneySavingExpert.com Discussion

Options

Comments

• patpool
    Options
    i am a member and volunteer at my local credit union. It really is the best way to save small amounts, ok you dont get interest and i have never had a dividend but they offer small loans and if you get in to problems making repayments they will always talk to you so you can decide between you how is the best way to repay the loan but most importantly it also encourages savings. most banks will only let you deposit a minimum of £10 with the credit union you can deposit whatever you can afford. it soon adds up. credit unions are there to encourage"thrift" we have had members who have come to us in debt to moneylenders and with us working with them they have got out of that trap and even have savings to fall back on now.
  • Hi Martin,

Credit Unions, in Britain, have been around for many years and have helped many hundreds of thousands of people through out the years who would have been denied access to loans from the main line institutions. They have helped people lift themselves out of poverty and debt by offering them a savings account that will allow them to save from as little as a £1 a week up to what ever they could have afford. It has come to the forefront in recent years, which is evidenced in many reports by goverment offices and eminent scholars in this area, that to help people lift themselves out of poverty and stay above that line requires that they build up savings to get by during hard times or when faced with an unexpected expense rather than take on debt that they can ill afford. Credit unions have been doing that for over 100 years worldwide, so why are people still slow to join up.

Well that could be that over the years many people have tried to promote the Credit Unions, all well intentioned but very few have the credence that you and your campaigns have aroused in goodness knows how many citizens of this country. I am not asking that you promote Credit Unions just that you highlight them as being an alternative that people should consider. Just by promoting that view publicly here on your site and on TV or radio will raise the awareness of the movement no end simply because people listen to you because you have shown that you are a champion of the people where injustice is evident.

Although your atricle is an excellent piece of work I would like to point out that there are hundreds of credit unions across the country doing sterling work but they may not be anywhere near the size of those you mentioned but with your support and people realising that Credit Unions are a viable alternative, an ethical alternative, run by and for their members and not to line the pockets of shareholders these smaller credit unions will become larger and offer more and more products / services to meet their growing memberships needs. For to long Credit Unions have been dogged as being " a poor mans Bank" but that is being dissapated as more and more people who have good incomes come to realise that they really are worth considering.
    I am not going to go on about all the reasons why people should join their nearest credit union but I would like to highlight another area in which they, to me anyway, excel. Behind every credit union there is a back bone of volunteers who give up their time freely because they believe strongly in what the credit union is doing. So not only do credit unions offer a financial solution for many they also take on board new volunteers, train them, nuture them give them back their self esteem and boost their confidence to the point that many go back into the work place and onto succesfull careers in many different fields. Most will remain members of their credit unions and most will attempt to continue some voluntary work when they can spare the time.

So as you can see credit unions really are good for the people, we are here to serve and help all who live, work within our communities. Experience the credit union difference today you won't regret it!:j
  • purple_cat_2
    Options
    Help needed please. I have a loan with our credit union, it was for 800 taken out on 27 april, we pay 42.30 a month and from 27/04 - 30/09 we have paid in 167.20 in total but 84.98 of that has been interest, leaving only 82.22 to come off our loan.!!!!!!
    this does not seem right to me, please can somebody give me some advice before I go and see them later.
    they have made mistakes in the past including sending our pass book to the wrong person and charging us a months interest before we had the loan money!!

please please
  • ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a credit union account and I put in £10 a month. This is a small part of my savings. I like the credit union but there are a number of problems.

1. No internet or telephone banking.
    2. It is policy that they will not send anything through the post including statements to avoid identity fraud.
    3. I have to go into the branch to check on my money.
    4. The website is not updated in years.
    5. They don't respond to emails.

I have read that someone wants to put their salary into a credit union I would advise against that as you would lose some of the benefits you have with a bank for example when my card went missing I phoned the bank and got it cancelled straight away.

What I would is if you have money put some of it like £10 a month into a credit union and keep the rest of it with a conventional bank or a building society or another non profit.
  • sportage1kia
    Options
    ahai1 wrote: »
    I have a credit union account and I put in £10 a month. This is a small part of my savings. I like the credit union but there are a number of problems.

1. No internet or telephone banking.
    2. It is policy that they will not send anything through the post including statements to avoid identity fraud.
    3. I have to go into the branch to check on my money.
    4. The website is not updated in years.
    5. They don't respond to emails.

I have read that someone wants to put their salary into a credit union I would advise against that as you would lose some of the benefits you have with a bank for example when my card went missing I phoned the bank and got it cancelled straight away.

What I would is if you have money put some of it like £10 a month into a credit union and keep the rest of it with a conventional bank or a building society or another non profit.

Hi there
    Just happen to see your thread, not all credit unions are the same, at my local one you have a pass book, so you know exactly what shares you have.
    These days you open a bank account or take out a bank loan the world knows. A credit union is part of the community
    Regards
  • ahai1
    Options
    My one also has a pass book. However running a day to day account without 24 hours access is a major problem.
  • FROSTYFRECKLE
    Options
    My hubby and I changed our current account from the Woolwich to our Credit Union. We have Internet banking and Debit cards, with a range of other services - Mortgages, Secured loans, Flexi-loans etc etc. My wages go into my current account - no delay. All Credit Unions are different.
  • ahai1
    Options
    The thing about the pass book is that it is not much use when you transfer money via BACS. I was told by my credit union that they charge a fee for BACS transfers from them but to them is free.

I am not sure if they are trying to get people like me not to attend AGMs or not? The reason why I ask this is that I am not a regular visitor to the branch and as they don't send letters how am I supposed to find out about AGMs?

I am a saver and not interested in the ethical side of the CU. I do have ethical financial products but not with the credit union.
  • Hi
    In your posting you do not indicate what the term of the loan was or the interest rate you are being charged. All credit unions operate differring loan policies, this can be due to size of loan, whether it is a first loan, whether you have built up a savings record, to name a few. I have taken your figures and from them I have made the assumption that the loan is over 2 years at a rate of 2% per month (APR 26.8%) as this equates with the monthly repayment you quote of £42.30p. Now there are various different software packages that credit unions use to handle their members loans, with ours (and I have to stress with ours) it calculates the interest due on a daily basis and assuming that you have made 4 payments since you took out the loan and assuming that you have made payments on the 27th of each monththe interest would have been £59.48p and the reduction in your loan would have been £109.72p. If you made payments later than the due date there would be additional interest to pay! I can only assume that you have missed a payment as there would have been 5 monthly repayments due (27th May, June, July, August and September) totaling £211.50p, which may explain the increase in the interest charged. As I said each credit union operates different loan policies and you have to remember that when they quote you the interest you will have to pay is based upon a regular payment on (in your case) on the 27th of each and every month. To put it into perspective would you think it fair that someone who borrows £800 and only makes one payment at the end of the 24 months pays the same interest as you who is paying the loan off on a monthly basis.
    I hope this helps if not put another post up on the forum, after all we are all credit unions and we are here to help you.
  • Chuffy
    Chuffy Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    Options
    For info, this site http://www.lenderscompared.org.uk/ will give details of you local Credit Union and compare them to evil 'Home Credit' organisations like Provident.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback