PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting rid of smoking fumes

Options
2»

Comments

• alltrustgone
    Options
    Hi

I bought an Air Gold product from QVC some time ago, and it does a reasonable job of clearing the air, cost was £30/40 from memory. Just checked the website, but can’t see my one (which looks more like the QVC £180 Oreck machine!), but there is another Airgold unit which, although it looks different and has UV light, seems to function the same as mine at a similar price, with washable electrostatic plate, so no replacement filters to buy. Had previously tried a larger floor standing unit, special offer from B&Q or Homebase, but this needed replacement filters which were expensive/difficult to find, with absorbant padded panel, like cooker hood filters – very noisy and not that effective. If you google Air Gold you can find more info.
    HTH.

ATG
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Mudgekin - well done on packing up, when did you stop?

Are you assuming your Mum doesn't want to give up or have you discussed it? Part of my work involves a lot of older people and I have been surprised when people in their 80's and even 90's have quit smoking. Apparently it's never too late!

Apart from the health benefits, thing is if she's taken into hospital she won't be able to smoke. I've also known several older people who have gone to live in sheltered housing or care homes and they have found it REALLY difficult not being allowed to smoke.

I am imagining you Mum hanging out of the bedroom window like I used to as a teenager!!:rotfl: :rotfl:
  • mudgekin
    mudgekin Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Pennylane wrote: »
    I am imagining you Mum hanging out of the bedroom window like I used to as a teenager!!:rotfl: :rotfl:

Hi Penny, only 2 days now for us:o (Being a nurse I should have known better)

We have discussed it extensively with her and she isn't interested at all. As far as she is concerned it is one of her few pleasures left now as she is really quite frail. She knows that if she goes into hospital she won't be able to smoke. I have hammered that into her often enough when I said before that if she would try, then I would quit with her but not a hope. Fortunately she will never need to go into care as that is why she now lives with us.

Your comment made me laugh as when I got up about 2am to go to the loo there were billows of smoke coming out of the living room. She was obviously making up for lost time.

We have a couple of reasons for giving up, health and financial but one of the prime motivators is to allow us to retire early and enjoy what time we have left together with no financial worries.
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Although they don't clear the air of smoke completely *Pureaire Luminaire are quite good at helping to get rid of the awful smell of other people's fags.
    (oddly enough for the first two years after I gave up I enjoyed the smell :confused: Nearly 9 years down the line I now find it hard to tolerate.)
    My OH has COPD and asthma and really should stop, but continually smokes.
    I got *one off ebay for about £30 delivered. :j

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-Pureaire-Luminaire-air-purifier-base-plates-oils_W0QQitemZ360121005623QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air?hash=item360121005623&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1296%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
    :wave:
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mudgekin wrote: »
    Hi Penny, only 2 days now for us:o (Being a nurse I should have known better)

We have discussed it extensively with her and she isn't interested at all. As far as she is concerned it is one of her few pleasures left now as she is really quite frail. She knows that if she goes into hospital she won't be able to smoke. I have hammered that into her often enough when I said before that if she would try, then I would quit with her but not a hope. Fortunately she will never need to go into care as that is why she now lives with us.

Your comment made me laugh as when I got up about 2am to go to the loo there were billows of smoke coming out of the living room. She was obviously making up for lost time.

We have a couple of reasons for giving up, health and financial but one of the prime motivators is to allow us to retire early and enjoy what time we have left together with no financial worries.

That's fair enough then - you deserve a medal quitting while there is a smoker in the house though. :T :T I think you must be 4 days quit now so well done indeed!!:A :A I met a man yesterday (out shopping) and he was sucking on one of those inhalator things. I quit several years ago using one of those and NRT patches and never looked back. Are you on NRT or going cold turkey?
  • mudgekin
    mudgekin Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    day 4 now Penny :j . i'm using the patches and doing ok really. Drinking gallons of tea though and as soon as I step into my office I start fiddling with a large lump of Blue tack..its disgusting now:rotfl: Much as I would like a cig I will not give into it this time.
  • Isis_Black
    Options
    Although they don't clear the air of smoke completely *Pureaire Luminaire are quite good at helping to get rid of the awful smell of other people's fags.
    (oddly enough for the first two years after I gave up I enjoyed the smell :confused: Nearly 9 years down the line I now find it hard to tolerate.)
    My OH has COPD and asthma and really should stop, but continually smokes.
    I got *one off ebay for about £30 delivered. :j

I got one of these pure air LuminAires yesterday from a stall in my local shopping centre and it is fantastic, so much so i went back today to get more fragrances before he left (he was only here for a week) it has made the air smell much fresher and cleaner and the fragarnaces are so strong even though you dont need to use a lot, it is also very pretty

The web site for the stall i got it from is http://www.cuddlywheaties.co.uk/products/air-purifiers/
    I love War Of The Worlds:heart2:
    Justin Hayward Rules with Forever Autumn:smileyhea
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Try lighting a few candles when someone is smoking in a room it really does help
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills